MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Now the XD60 order for FB, and the dream of artics on the B46, will have to wait even longer.

Again it could change again. The B35 route was supposed to turn into an artic operation around this time but it went artic early so things could change. I just know this L train shutdown is making things shake up so more since its nearing in a few months. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<Referring to ENY's most recent post in Moves & Transfers about the XD60 delivery. Idk how to quote between topics so...>>

With the change in artic order assignments and the delivery schedule as posted in Moves & Transfers, could this mean a life extension for the D60s? Assuming that the L Train Shuttle units are purely for expansion to facilitate local and shuttling services, as well as the old timeline of spring 2019 for D60 retirement, only 36 buses (LFS-A due for Gun Hill) will be coming in as replacement units. Since we have 70something D60s, those ~~40 LFSA will leave 30something D60s left until then the next replacement order arrives, which would be the Flatbush XD60s in November 2019...

Or am I missing something here?

2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

<<Referring to ENY's most recent post in Moves & Transfers about the XD60 delivery. Idk how to quote between topics so...>>

With the change in artic order assignments and the delivery schedule as posted in Moves & Transfers, could this mean a life extension for the D60s? Assuming that the L Train Shuttle units are purely for expansion to facilitate local and shuttling services, as well as the old timeline of spring 2019 for D60 retirement, only 36 buses (LFS-A due for Gun Hill) will be coming in as replacement units. Since we have 70something D60s, those ~~40 LFSA will leave 30something D60s left until then the next replacement order arrives, which would be the Flatbush XD60s in November 2019...

I think the 47 that is going to quill is Flatbush and those won't go to fb until November . But I do wonder what will the 10 will go since they were supposed to be 57 going to them. 

I don't get why the L shuttle needs all these new buses. Wouldn't it make sense to give depots whatever they need, and then use all the left over buses for the shuttle? There's gonna be buses from ALL over the system being used, and the spare factor shouldn't be a problem since there's gonna be so much coverage. All these temporary assignments are dumb, unless the MTA is trying to give L riders new buses in accommodation for the shutdown. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I don't get why the L shuttle needs all these new buses. Wouldn't it make sense to give depots whatever they need, and then use all the left over buses for the shuttle? There's gonna be buses from ALL over the system being used, and the spare factor shouldn't be a problem since there's gonna be so much coverage. All these temporary assignments are dumb, unless the MTA is trying to give L riders new buses in accommodation for the shutdown. 

Just like with the M train shutdown the mta wants the newer buses on the shuttle. If people are going to spend an extra 30 minutes on the bus give them the extra amenities. 

I will go over all the updates, changes, and the fleet review later today. 

Please check the first page of this thread as it has been updated extensively. The new delivery schedule will be complete later this afternoon as well. Please note the XD40 assignments have been updated, and special notes have been added. The operational delivery will be complete in December. All depots accept Quill and West Farms (their assignments are now posted) have received all the buses they will be allotted until spring 2019, when Jamaica Depot resumes delivery. 

As Quill and WF are wrapping up preliminary delivery, we will now begin delivery of (L) shuttle buses immediately. 

Please note that the assignments for the new LFS options have changed yet again, and with the acception of one depot, an entire borough has been removed from that roster. 🧐 I am awaiting details on the reasons for the changes now. Please hold your questions until I am able to gather more information. 

Because the XDE60 order plans were scrapped, and we will not have articulated electric buses (XE60) delivered in time for (L) service, MTA has decided to divert 47 of Flatbush's 57 new XD60's to MQ Depot for the M14+ and (L) Train Shuttle. Flatbush will however get 10 in the meanwhile which may or may not be used for expansion. The could displace 10 LFSA's or be implemented on the B46+. I am still waiting on the details of this as this develops.

As far as the new LFSA's go, someone dropped the ball. We should have an addition 11 buses (which are already built) on property by the end of the week, but they are working overtime to change numbers in system and on the D60's. Gun Hill is supposed to wrap up delivery in December, and (L) shuttle bus delivery will also commence simultaneously.

The current Shuttle dedicated fleet of 171 buses is as follows:

New Flyer XD40 7763-7850 (88)

New Flyer XD60 47 buses out of the 6126-6233 batch (47)

NovaBus LFSA 5567-5602 (36)

On 11/20/2018 at 7:35 PM, DueceDrives said:

These RTS 😣 Whats the deal with FB still holding onto a few batch?..

They are still needed and will be through 2019. You guys have more than a few lol. Almost a quarter of the FB fleet is still RTS. 

On 11/24/2018 at 8:07 AM, JFK Depot said:

smh MCH just keeps getting the short end of the stick smh

1200s are seriously beat up... must come off the M15SBS like yesterday 

No, they aren't getting the short end of the stick. Delivery is only about 2 months later than the original plans. 

On 11/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, Brillant93 said:

Moving this over here. 

I'm assuming the new artic shake up has to do with the new LFSA not being able to make it here in nyc before the L train shutdown, i'm assuming.

I'm quite bummed out myself because the B46 sbs needs artics because it often gets packed before it completes its route. But it is what it is. 

No. This is included in addition to the LFSA's which will be here in time. The delivery schedule hasn't changed. The B46 wasn't going to get artics anytime soon anyway. The B44+ fleet has to be replaced first, or at least increased by 10 buses first.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

I agree too. I’ve seen the B46 SBS crowds in both directions and it is really crowded between Church Avenue and Eastern Pkwy, and possibly down to Fulton Street, and I’ve seen this every day commuting to and from school. Honestly, they should’ve had articulated buses a long time ago by either siphoning a piece of it off the previous D60HF orders in the 2000s or putting in another order of artics for FB, but as you said, it is what it is. Now the XD60 order for FB, and the dream of artics on the B46, will have to wait even longer.

And speaking of XD60s for Flatbush, I want to ask something here. Let’s say that in the near future, the B41 and the B44 Local also get converted to Artic ops. The B41 has two terminals, one to Kings Plaza Mall, and another to Bergen Beach. Taking that into account, what is the maximum amount of buses needed to cover service on each route between the hours of 5:00 AM to 1:00 AM every day, and how many articulated buses would be used to accommodate that level of service during that same time period?

Lets not even discuss any of this yet, because the B44 isn't going artic anytime soon and most likely not as all. As far as the B41, let's just wait till we at least start the public study on it. That is still a long way off.

On 11/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, Orion6025 said:

Yes, the retirement of the D60's was pushed back, however this change has been in effect all year. We will be down to 74 by the end of next month. They will be used through 2019, and all will retire next year. Yep, you are missing definitely missing something lol. I think you and everyone are forgetting the fact that we have 48 XD60's due to start returning from Bus Company next year as well. These buses actually belong mostly to OH Depot, which has 14 D60's.

The 1200's will start to displace them as well when Hale begins delivery of their first 32 XD60's starting next summer.  

23 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

No that wouldn't make sense at all to use left-over buses, and that would defeat the whole purpose of ehat the MTA is trying to do right now. We have been talking about this for quite sometime. The shuttle will last at least 18 months, and MTA has decided they want the majority of the buses to be new. They aren't needed elsewhere immediately. You all want new buses at Hale and Flatbush, but service is not going to suffer if this is delayed until the shuttle is over. No one is getting all that they are supposed to at the moment. The only fleets to be completely replaced with the needed buses are CS and FB. Everyone else has to wait for the rest of their buses.

Edited by East New York

7 hours ago, King Transit said:

Speaking of that, I've never thought about before was the 2015-16 LFS Yukon has. These buses should've turned +SBS units to knock out the NGs to local. 

We've talked about this multiple times actually. MTA wants ALL older buses off of SBS service. All SBS running older buses will be replaced by the buses in the new "Cuomo scheme"  as everyone calls it. Thats why Yukon is now the only SI depot getting them.

21 minutes ago, East New York said:

We've talked about this multiple times actually. MTA wants ALL older buses off of SBS service. All SBS running older buses will be replaced by the buses in the new "Cuomo scheme"  as everyone calls it. Thats why Yukon is now the only SI depot getting them.

I wrote that I misread the first page.  I guess others didn't see my unintentional double post saying to disregard what I said. Again I apologize. 

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I wrote that I misread the first page.  I guess others didn't see my unintentional double post saying to disregard what I said. Again I apologize. 

You didn't misread bro, earlier it said an entire borough was not included, referring to all of S.I,  and Yukon was NOT listed as a part of the delivery. He updated the list, and his post after. But yeah Yukon is back on track to receive 77. 

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You didn't misread bro, earlier it said an entire borough was not included, referring to all of S.I,  and Yukon was NOT listed as a part of the delivery. He updated the list, and his post after. But yeah Yukon is back on track to receive 77. 

He sort of misread. I did edit the post, however Yukon was definitely listed on the first page for delivery as it has been for nearly a year now. That hasn't changed, and I posted that they would be getting them almost 6 months before we even saw the first bus. That was the only depot in SI that I had been able to confirm from the beginning.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

So then when is the Q70 slated for new buses?

Edited by East New York