MTA lays out emergency action plans: Service may stop for Halloween mayhem, snow and power outages

CPBO

Service in several Bronx and Brooklyn neighborhoods would be the first to go

BY Pete Donohue

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, October 30 2011, 1:13 AM

The MTA has emergency action plans in place to handle all sorts of mayhem, like blizzards, hurricanes, power outages - and egg-wielding pranksters.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is prepared to stop running buses in three neighborhoods if Halloween mischief strikes this year, MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said.

In recent years, lines in the Edgewater Park and Country Club sections of the Bronx and Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn, were shut down because of vandalism.

"These areas notoriously have been problem areas," Ortiz said.

He said the MTA Halloween action plan includes additional personnel ready to respond to reports of vandalism and coordinate with police.

Cleaning crews in mobile units will also be stationed to specific locations "and moved as situations dictate," Ortiz said.

"It's definitely a safety concern," he said. "We deploy this action plan to ensure employees and customers are provided with a safe environment when working or using our buses."

This year, snowballs also could be a problem, he said.

But some Bronx residents weren't convinced a shutdown was needed or even fair.

Ryan Wirsing, 21, of Country Club, didn't think the bus lines should be stopped because of a few bad apples.

"It's a little crazy to shut down a bus for just egg throwing," he said. "A lot of the elderly people in the neighborhood take it. What will they do?"

Anthony Amora, 55, agreed.

"I don't think the bus line should be shut down," he said. "People here don't know about it and they rely on it."

Service suspensions are likely on sections of the following routes: Bx8 (Edgewater Park); Bx24 (Country Club) and B31 (Gerritsen Beach).

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

What about the safety of the operators? Don't you remember last year a female bus operator in SI opened the door to let people on and was hit in the eyes with eggs?

Actually I didn't hear about that.. but what makes Halloween different from any other day. Any day someone can dress up in a costume board a bus and hit the B/O. That's what I'm trying to say.

Aside from operator safety, it's the fact that the damaged buses have to be repaired. Last year, Gerritsen Beach teenagers damaged three buses, which forced them all out of service. This shut down the B31. Then the MTA had to repair the broken windows and other problems.

This is some bull****. Are you serious? MTA can't run buses just because some kids throw toilet paper and eggs at the bus?!

Don't forget rocks and (during winter) densely-packed snowballs.

Keep in mind that throwing dangerous objects at the bus is the same as directly assaulting the driver - i.e. it's a felony.

"I don't think the bus line should be shut down," he said. "People here don't know about it..."

Yes, they do know about it, because it happens every year and it's probably their own children and grandchildren. They likely taught the kids how to throw eggs and other projectiles at buses. ("Put more elbow into it. Throw higher. Aim for the driver's side of the windshield. Not the private bus, wait for the MTA bus.")

This is some bull****. Are you serious? MTA can't run buses just because some kids throw toilet paper and eggs at the bus?!

Ones that egg hits the windshield, the driver is blind. No way to clean the windshield with windshield wipers.

Cops should issue huge tickets for idiots with eggs.

Actually I didn't hear about that.. but what makes Halloween different from any other day. Any day someone can dress up in a costume board a bus and hit the B/O. That's what I'm trying to say.

Yes, but anyone with half a brain knows that it only happens on Halloween.

No it's not. Maybe if they shut 'em down, they'll learn to stop throwing eggs at buses. (Like that will ever happen)

Maybe instead of shutting it down, what they should do is have a police officer on every bus standing by so that when some dipshit throws an egg, the bus can stop and let the officer off, and the officer can handle it from there.

No it's not. Maybe if they shut 'em down, they'll learn to stop throwing eggs at buses. (Like that will ever happen)

Maybe instead of shutting it down, what they should do is have a police officer on every bus standing by so that when some dipshit throws an egg, the bus can stop and let the officer off, and the officer can handle it from there.

I never understood why kids like throwing eggs on Halloween. Maybe if they spent some time of their life being hungry, they'd appreciate the food instead of throwing it around.

And yeah, that would be a perfect solution and it wouldn't ruin it for the people in the neighborhood who have to ride those routes.

I also remember one time when I was on SB M15 SBS during leftover snow which was frozen, and frustrated passenger confuse with SBS and Local slow snowball at bus window at Pike St/Division St when he was waiting for local bus at Canal St, thinking SBS was local bus.

I spit at those idiots I do not pity tha fools

You sure there's enough cops and/or money for that?

Remember, those cops have to patrol crime areas too - especially on Halloween.

You sure there's enough cops and/or money for that?

Remember, those cops have to patrol crime areas too - especially on Halloween.

The thing I find weird is that all 3 are just random middle class areas. I guess it has something to do with the fact that they're isolated and close-knit (except for maybe College Point). Maybe they're entitled and feel that could do whatever they want and their parents will bail them out.

As far as the cops go, you could fine the kids for throwing eggs at the bus. I'm sure there's some law regarding damaging property that's being violated. That should help pay for the cost of the cops (I mean, being a teenager myself, I can understand how it could be seen as "fun", so I'd be a little bit lenient, but say a $25 fine should be enough)

I mean, throwing eggs at a vehicle is a safety hazard.

I spit at those idiots I do not pity tha fools

Spit is not good thing. That could lead to fight.

ema

I remember when I took Bx12 SBS first week one of passenger trying to paid onboard the bus was frustated with paying before you board, she spit at female B/O and B/O got angry and started argument. After few minutes argument, she closed both doors immediately and went to next SBS stop.

Split people is almost like crime.

The thing I find weird is that all 3 are just random middle class areas. I guess it has something to do with the fact that they're isolated and close-knit (except for maybe College Point). Maybe they're entitled and feel that could do whatever they want and their parents will bail them out.

As far as the cops go, you could fine the kids for throwing eggs at the bus. I'm sure there's some law regarding damaging property that's being violated. That should help pay for the cost of the cops (I mean, being a teenager myself, I can understand how it could be seen as "fun", so I'd be a little bit lenient, but say a $25 fine should be enough)

I mean, throwing eggs at a vehicle is a safety hazard.

If u get busted throwing eggs at a bus, house, or any vehicle you get charged with vandalism. I think the fine is about $50 or so. Surprisingly it hasn't been bad at all with the buses I'm seeing pull up to rapid wash. Maybe the "recession" has finally set in

If u get busted throwing eggs at a bus, house, or any vehicle you get charged with vandalism. I think the fine is about $50 or so. Surprisingly it hasn't been bad at all with the buses I'm seeing pull up to rapid wash. Maybe the "recession" has finally set in

Damn, now all the egg farmers won't be able to pay the rent this month.

Archived