Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Since when do you need to provide your driving record when the job does not require a driver's license?

I read somewhere they do a background check of your driving record...it doesnt make sense to me either sine a TO Position doesnt require a license but maybe the MTA wants to see whos got speeding tickets to make sure TO obey the speed limits in the tunnels =P hehe

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being Extra Extra is not as bad as it sounds. First, you can make lots of money. You can also get weekends off even though you are a rookie. I would say 99% of the time, you will get a job on the line your on board on, so it's very rare to start and finish at two different locations. Although they do have an infamous job on the (5) that starts at Utica and finishes at East 180 St. The only thing that stinks is finising at 2 AM and having a job that starts the next day (or in this case, the SAME day) at 1 PM. When this happens, you can request a later job, or keep the job if it's a good one.

Edited by Donald

The most stressful part of school car will be the signal tests. You MUST get a 100% or you will be fired. No re-takes. So when you start school car, devote every hour of your day to studying signals.

On the bright side, the best part of school car is posting. That's fun.

Edited by Donald

got the letter to report on monday. this a godsend. i really want the job but i am worried about my criminal history that has been sealed and/or expunged. i am not sure if i should disclose it on the application. stupid things i did in my early 20s. ive always gotten a conditional discharge meaning you plead guilty to a lesser crime and as long as u stay out of trouble for one year the record is sealed. i never been incarcirated. just the one nighters in central bookings and i never had to pay bail and i always kept my court dates. i will be 30 in a few months and have my first child on the way. this would literally be a life saver for me. it would be devastating to lose out on this oppurtunity because of mistakes i made as a young adult. the view on life is much different when you are 21 22 as opposed to when you are 29 30. any thoughts or advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation and still got the job any info would be deeply appreciated. thank you.

It states in the application in bold letters that you DO NOT have to disclose sealed, expunged or yourhful offender convictions on the application.

Since when do you need to provide your driving record when the job does not require a driver's license?

They only want it if you had an out of state license within the past 3 years . They want you to bring a drivers abstract from that state.

Edited by elantra06

Can't believe it's almost here. I'm #462 and on outstanding certification. I remember hearing something about the 1/3 rule a few yrs ago. What's with the one in three rule? I looked it up but am getting different info everywhere. Some say it's only for promo exams, others say they go down the list and pick 2, dq 1, pick 2, dq 1, others say they pick 1, dq 2, pick 1, dq 2. Someone else says it has something to do with 1 spot left and 3 candidates available, and yet another says they've only seen it applied to list 8006.

Should I be concerned with this? I'm having a hard time believing that after 3+ yrs of waiting, I can be knocked out just like that.

The 1 in 3 rule is available on open competitive also. How it works is that when 3 people are going to be rejected, they have to hire 1. If you are the best of the worst, you get hired. If you are one of the other two, you get rejected.

I have an out of state license and I never provided an abstract. I called them up and asked if I had to when I first got the letter, but they said I did not have to since the job does not require a license. All I did was just disclsoe my license and license #. The abstract is mainly for bus operators and any title that specifically requires a license.

Edited by Donald

Of course you did Gaspare.

Why say did? I never stopped. And why are so so convinced I am messinno? Did you create this account just to play games? Because You are one of the only people who knew my list numer promojr78

Yea i know all that already. I want to know what kind of info they are going to ask in the 20 page background booklet. I would think only someone who has filled it out already can answer that.

You will do a Drug Test/ Medical Exam required to fill out a 20 page background booklet all on the same day. Getting your Job History on paper from SS would not be a bad idea at least you know everything would be accurate you gave me a good idea there I dont know all the exact dates ive worked so thanks for the idea.

About the driving record I would assume they could get that from your drivers licence im sure you will have to give, but someone could chime in on that.

Congrats to all. Reading this thread it seems that MTA/DCAS has called btw 1-200 so far with appts in Oct. Is there anyone else called that's above 200?

As per the pdf from the Chief ie TO list of names: "Readers should note that eligible lists change over their four-year life as candidates are added, removed, reinstated, or re-scored. The list shown below is accurate as of the date of establishment but list standings can change as a result of appeals."

Can anyone elaborate or give examples of how the list would change over the next 4 years? Could a class-action suit like FDNY fit this?

Once again thanks to all list # low 900's, score 95.