Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

With everything being said from ppl on the inside Sept or Oct w a oc class something should be coming up w certification of 8098 and letters goin out to those w a low list number very soon

If that is the case I'm thinking next week they would have to certify the list hopefully.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was checking out the CR thread for the oc exam..it seems this scenerio is similar..once the oc list came out it was rolling pretty quick..a TSS had mentioned with the oc list it tends to move quicker ppl don't take the job etc of course every scenario is different so well see soon enuff

They got a School car class doing Road Ops today so they are almost done. Right now they got a shortage of School car TSS/ T/D. The TSS teach C/R's / T/O's /TWO'S/ TSS's. The T/D's teach TWO AND ATD/TD classes. They got a notice out for Supervisors to apply for School car. If they don't get too many applications then they draft supervison from the road.

I am on the list for train operator. I have also been called for station cleaner(I refused it) station agent(haven't decided yet). If I don"t accept the station agent job, will that cause me to be not called for Train Operator?

No it won't. Those are separate lists/different jobs. If you don't take station cleaner/station agent you'll just be skipped over on that list if you don't respond to the letter. Only if you get called for Train Operator and you get to the background check you'll just have to put down what civil service exams you took and if you were hired or not (ex: in your case it would probably be you turn down the station agent job and waited for the train operator position or they did not reach your list number yet).

Edited by elantra06

Well once this list starts things should move quickly - I've been told they want to hire something insane like almost 300 by end of spring next year...of course whether or not that's possible is entirely a different story but a LOT of people are projecting to go out in the next few months and years.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Whoa... if that's true, they'd probably have to send about twice as many letters out, if not more.

Sometimes it kinda sucks about waiting on an MTA list. Sometimes either they stop hiring for a few months, or they will blow through 500 people in 2 months. Even when you get called, the hiring process could take two days, two weeks, two months or even more from beginning to end.

Heck, the C/R and T/O exams were 6 months apart, but the T/O list took so much longer to get certified/established (albeit with more promotionals), and they've been calling C/R's for about a year and a half now.

Well once this list starts things should move quickly - I've been told they want to hire something insane like almost 300 by end of spring next year...of course whether or not that's possible is entirely a different story but a LOT of people are projecting to go out in the next few months and years.

Mass hiring has been going on within DOB as well. Word of advice to all when you budget your money budget it according to 40 hours of work because that is all you are guaranteed. You may find yourself bringing home checks of 110+ hours for a while but don't get used to it because if you begin to budget according to that you will find yourself up the creek fairly quickly. They are trying to cut down on OT and from their point of view this will remedy the situation. What's funny though is that in theory wouldn't mass hiring increase operating expenses as they would not only have to pay the salary but dish out funds for the benefits package as well?

I just called dcas it says exam 8098 has been established I'm not on outstanding certification..but some1 should be looks like things are moving

I just called dcas it says exam 8098 has been established I'm not on outstanding certification..but some1 should be looks like things are moving

Confirmed! Last was established 9/12/2012; scheduled to terminate 9/16/2016 I'm in the mid 100s - I'm hoping beyond hope I'l be called (and hopefully get through the pre-employment and hired Good Lord-willing) before this year's out! Here's to hoping!

Wow, I called up as well and realised it says it indeed has been established on 9/13/2012. I really thought this would have been established in the spring time from info that I was given, but better late than never right? Hopefully the first few hundred of us should be getting a nice surprise of a letter in the mail within the next few months..

Edited by Warduke

been told by a credible source?

As always. However this credible source did also offer up the caveat that given current schoolcar staffing levels that's an estimate of the needs of the service which is unlikely to be able to be met. Therefore the end impact will be less, and there will be more overtime available (since it takes a while to fully train a T/O of course and the schoolcar staffing shortage), and therefore a few more of the old timers might hang on a bit longer in the process, bringing the need down a bit to a point where everything remains manageable. But there WILL be a lot going out, so the pace should be pretty steady once things get rolling.

There does seem to be some sort of administrative delay when starting hiring off a new list so this is nothing to be alarmed about at present. Letters should be going out pretty soon if they haven't already (possibly even some arriving this week?)

Edited by SubwayGuy