Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here's what I've got for you guys....my list is 500-520. I got the letter on December 8th to go in for the drug test on the 13th.

I got the call on January 29th to report for the medical and final processing today, February 6th.

I made it through!!! So happy and relieved. I start February 25th. And I don't know about everyone else, but the folks I dealt with were really great. You're nice to them, they're real nice back at ya!. Just keep your cool and you'll get through it.

Thanks to all who posted so I had an idea of what was going on. Initially before I joined this forum I had NO idea!

So thanks again and good luck to all....

I got in to 4/29 class - please let me know what chapters in the blue rules & reg book should i be reading first

I got in to 4/29 class - please let me know what chapters in the blue rules & reg book should i be reading first

Honestly start reading from the beginning all the way through until you reach chapter 9 and read up to the train operator and conductor duties. Obviously you wont get to it all but at least you'll have a head start. Also the signals chapter is something that you should read everyday over and over and over. The signals test isn't hard but you must get 100%. Going over it daily should have you in good shape for the signals test. Again it's not hard but in a test that you can't get a single question wrong it's to your benefit to study the signals chapter on a daily basis. 

There's really no chapters that you should be reading first while you wait for your class to start. Start from the beginning and read through the entire book as much as you possibly can. The more knowledge you can retain the better off you will be.

The one chapter that is absolutely essential to your job though is of course the signals chapter. You literally want that chapter memorized from front to back.

Good luck!

Although for your position of T/O you don't necessarily need the rules of dispatchers, TSS, conductor etc...it is essential you learn the rules of their titles as well. Start with chapter 1, read that thoroughly! Its hard to grasp at first(at least it was for me) due to the way its written, but you'll go over it the 1st week or two of schoolcar. Of course you need chapters 2, 3 and 9 for sure!

Hello everyone.

Someone (I don't remember who or when) posted in the past that they obtained a printout of their work history from the social security office. I plan to go this Monday to see if I can get mine but I was told by a friend that it can take months after the initial request to actually recieve the print out. Does anyone know if it is possible to get this printout immediately/asap/not now but right now?
I finally went in for my drug test last week so I need this printout because 180 Livingston requires that you provide work history going back to high school when you're called back for the medical. Within the first few years after I finished high school I had a few random jobs and I honestly do not remember all of them. I'm concerned that if I do not include every single job that I've had that this will ruin my chance to be hired or to keep my position if I'm hired. I was excited about finally getting my letter but now I'm a little worried about this work history requirement.
I'll appreciate any helpful info that anyone can give me...

Hello everyone.

Someone (I don't remember who or when) posted in the past that they obtained a printout of their work history from the social security office. I plan to go this Monday to see if I can get mine but I was told by a friend that it can take months after the initial request to actually recieve the print out. Does anyone know if it is possible to get this printout immediately/asap/not now but right now?

I finally went in for my drug test last week so I need this printout because 180 Livingston requires that you provide work history going back to high school when you're called back for the medical. Within the first few years after I finished high school I had a few random jobs and I honestly do not remember all of them. I'm concerned that if I do not include every single job that I've had that this will ruin my chance to be hired or to keep my position if I'm hired. I was excited about finally getting my letter but now I'm a little worried about this work history requirement.

I'll appreciate any helpful info that anyone can give me...

The printout is immediate. Make sure you bring a blank check along with you to pay the SS office for the printout.

List 84x got the letter to report to 180 Livingston Street for pre interview and medical examination on April 18th.Having done this as a Bus Op. I'm asssuming it's the included paper work and a drug screen and not the full tilt medical and audiometric test that the letter natters on about. If anybody has any additional info please let me know.Thank all and good luck.

List 84x got the letter to report to 180 Livingston Street for pre interview and medical examination on April 18th.Having done this as a Bus Op. I'm asssuming it's the included paper work and a drug screen and not the full tilt medical and audiometric test that the letter natters on about. If anybody has any additional info please let me know.Thank all and good luck.

No studying required. Walk with your IDs including us passport, ss card, DL, and its just a peepee test.

if you do not have a photo id they will accept a passport as long s it is valid.If you have a valid id or drivers license there is no need for a passport.

Yes, that's right....Gherigfan1 is correct. I had it wrong in my comment..I brought it just in case, but it isn't necessary if you have a valid NYS ID

L
Yes, that's right....Gherigfan1 is correct. I had it wrong in my comment..I brought it just in case, but it isn't necessary if you have a valid NYS ID

Not true. You have to proof your eligibility to work in USA. A us birth certificate, a us passport, a green card and a ss card. If you don't have either one they can send you home. It happened to someone ibfront of me. Just giving advice, you can always bring whatever you like.

@vic70 that is highly inaccurate. Yes you have to prove eligibility but a US Birth Certificate cancels out a Green Card. A valid state ID cancels out the need for a US Passport. The person in front of you may have had a specific situation but what you described as needing to bring is impossible.

As long as you have a valid nys ID, SS card and birth certificate.

Want to know whats funny? Back then there was folks who Did not have one of those three. Making it more annoying they was holding up the line and was giving them all kinds of excuses,  they didn't want to hear it and was told to come back.. Do not know how many came back.

I just got my work history printout from the SS office and now I have another concern...smh

On the pre-employment application that I submitted on the day of my drug test, I filled out the 10 year work history section and I thought it was accurate but upon looking at my printout from the Social Security office I'm realizing that the some of the dates that are put down are close but not 100 percent accurate. I'm concerned that this might be an issue.

For the 21 page packet I now have all the information I need to make sure that my work history is 100 percent accurate but what should I do about the discrepancies on my pre-employment application? Is there a department that I should call to correct the discrepancies on my pre-employment app? Am I ok as long as everything on my 21 page packet is accurate?
I'm not sure what I should do...

@vic70 that is highly inaccurate. Yes you have to prove eligibility but a US Birth Certificate cancels out a Green Card. A valid state ID cancels out the need for a US Passport. The person in front of you may have had a specific situation but what you described as needing to bring is impossible.

I guess you didn't read my post properly.

I just got my work history printout from the SS office and now I have another concern...smh

On the pre-employment application that I submitted on the day of my drug test, I filled out the 10 year work history section and I thought it was accurate but upon looking at my printout from the Social Security office I'm realizing that the some of the dates that are put down are close but not 100 percent accurate. I'm concerned that this might be an issue.

For the 21 page packet I now have all the information I need to make sure that my work history is 100 percent accurate but what should I do about the discrepancies on my pre-employment application? Is there a department that I should call to correct the discrepancies on my pre-employment app? Am I ok as long as everything on my 21 page packet is accurate?

Question: How did you get your social security printout in a couple days? It usually takes 4 months...

Question: How did you get your social security printout in a couple days? It usually takes 4 months...

go down to your local ss office, they print it out on the spot. You just need to give them from what years you want and they charge you by year.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2