Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Congrats. I was just there today for the 2nd dt. It was empty and still took 3 hours to call 5 ppl. You have to love the MTA!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Tapatalk

lol so true. When you start going down there on the clock, your use that to your advantage to miss out on working most of  that day 

Edited by natic03

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. I was just there today for the 2nd dt. It was empty and still took 3 hours to call 5 ppl. You have to love the MTA!

lol so true. When you start going down there on the clock, your use that to your advantage to miss out on working most of  that day 

I know lol. There was a few down there like you can go in front of us. They were in no rush to get back to work.

I am in the process for Train Operator. they just called me yesterday to go for final processing next week and I want to get ahead of the game. When i first took the test back in 2009, i wanted to do the same thing and tried to find any books available to study for the test without knowing what to expect. I went to a Barnes and Noble bookstore and got a PASSBOOK SERIES TRAIN OPERATOR STUDY GUIDE. I am wondering if this book is good enough to start getting familiar with the job or if it is something that I should avoid

New Guy here.Been following the forum for some time now. Dont know if my original post was cancelled or hasnt been approved yet but I just wanted to inform anyone waiting, I got my letter for 1st DT. Have to go on June 12th. #27XX. If there is any advice you guys can give, greatly appreciated & to those waiting for the letter....be paitient. It will come.

I just got my letter for my 2nd drug test!!! Finally....

Congrats AAnxious!

LeonDoub you're up next, I should be right behind you!

What is your list # range?

Congrats guys.

Got my letter today for a 2nd DT on the 11th.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Well got a letter to report to Livingston on 6/12. Problem is that I have to leave for California on Tuesday night.

If I don't go to Cali I might lose my job.

Can I postpone this date, I realize I might have people jump ahead if it can be delayed, but I'm afraid on

taking a chance on loosing my salary and medical benefits from my present firm.

I see some people here are waiting months before they get called back.

Any advice?

@trainman list number is 2602

Well got a letter to report to Livingston on 6/12. Problem is that I have to leave for California on Tuesday night.

If I don't go to Cali I might lose my job.

Can I postpone this date, I realize I might have people jump ahead if it can be delayed, but I'm afraid on

taking a chance on loosing my salary and medical benefits from my present firm.

I see some people here are waiting months before they get called back.

Any advice?

I would call them first thing Monday morning and explain your situation to them. Yea I would hate to lose my job for a job you don't have.

I'm sort of confused, with the letter they sent me, on the paperwork, do they want employment history twice or is that the extra page to use if you need it? Want to make sure to get all my paperwork right.

#27XX

It's an extra page.

oh no, I wear corrective lenses. Contact lenses to be exact. I havent worn glasses in 10 years & the only pair I have are exactly that old too. I wonder if that will cause any problems with the eye exam. 

#27XX

Get an eye test, Cohens does them for $20, or Costco for $60 with some lens discounts if you need them.

Wear the contacts, they will test you with and without them. 20/40 vision is the qualifying number.

I am in the process for Train Operator. they just called me yesterday to go for final processing next week and I want to get ahead of the game. When i first took the test back in 2009, i wanted to do the same thing and tried to find any books available to study for the test without knowing what to expect. I went to a Barnes and Noble bookstore and got a PASSBOOK SERIES TRAIN OPERATOR STUDY GUIDE. I am wondering if this book is good enough to start getting familiar with the job or if it is something that I should avoid

Your better off just waiting for your training to start. alot of those books are outdated besides your gone have months of training anyway so its no rush

Wait until you get to Schoolcar... They change things up quite a bit...

Your better off just waiting for your training to start. alot of those books are outdated besides your gone have months of training anyway so its no rush

No. Many of the rules have changed, and there are numerous questions about equipment that has long since been retired in those passbooks. There are actually questions in there about R1-9 equipment used on the museum trains in those books! - equipment which hasn't run in passenger service in over 35 years.

If you've been given a rulebook when you were sworn in (sometimes happens), start reading and familiarizing yourself with the chapter on signals.

If not, just hang tight. There are some "unofficial" resources on the internet about NYC Subway SIgnaling you can use as a starting point if you'd like, but just be aware that in the end you are going to need to learn Transit's definition of these signals, not the internet's.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Thank you for your replies. much appreciated.

I went yesterday to HR and got sworn in and I start officially on june 30th. 

I have another question I want to ask.-- I have a coworker in my current job who used to work for NJ Transit and told me that Train Operators have to keep their certification on a yearly basis by getting tested every year. 

Is this True for MTA also?

Thank You in advance.