Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you get paid holidays while in school car?

Yes, provided you have worked for Transit for at least 30 days. Any holidays occurring within the first 30 days of employment will be unpaid, unless you are working.

If you have 30+ days at Transit and are working on the holiday, you will receive your regular pay, plus an additional 8 hours pay for the holiday.

Employees who work on their holiday may elect to save the additional 8 hours pay as an "AVA" day instead of receiving holiday pay. If this has not been explained to you, it will soon. To do this, you will have to call the automated number for the crew office's "IVR" system and choose the option to "accrue a holiday". You can accrue up to 8, but no more. After 8, additional requests to save holidays will be paid out instead. For new employees, I recommend you trying to build up this bank as quickly as possible so you have time to take off should you need to for an emergency (and I mean a real emergency) or for a personal day you'd like to have here and there, since you won't have vacation time yet.

You cannot save a holiday if you do not work it, unless it is your RDO, during your vacation, or some other personal day you've requested (AVA, OTO, PLD). Holidays that fall on your RDO, you will receive 8 hours pay (provided you've worked here 30 days) even though you haven't worked. And yes, you can save holidays on your RDO, with the exception of Lincoln's Birthday.

Additionally, to earn holiday pay you must also not book off sick without doctor's lines from work the day before or the day after the holiday, or else you will forfeit the holiday pay. Doctor's Lines will cover you, but you may have to fight it / wait one pay cycle depending on how the pay periods overlap the occurrence. Note that this applies to YOUR work schedule, not calendar days. So if a holiday is Monday and your RDO's are Sunday/Saturday, booking off without doctor's lines on Friday will disqualify you from holiday pay.

Transit Holidays:

New Year's Day

MLK Day

President's Day

Lincoln's Birthday

Memorial Day

July 4

Labor Day

Veteran's Day

Thanksgiving

Christmas

Employee Birthday

Edited by SubwayGuy

@my923ksl you need to pay on the lirr for now. Eventually those who qualify based on where they reside will get the EPIC PASS to ride metro north or lirr. Depending on your address

Has anyone else thats still waiting for final processing receive another job offer letter? I'm pretty sure it's a mistake but will call this week to find out. Shouldn't be necessary to fill out all that paperwork again

Has anyone else thats still waiting for final processing receive another job offer letter? I'm pretty sure it's a mistake but will call this week to find out. Shouldn't be necessary to fill out all that paperwork again

Natic03, interesting..... Probably just a mistake. I didn't recieve any new letter for 8098 exam. Stay on the top of it and please post after calling MTA HR office.

I will post if any changes to my situation.

I know this from my experience working almost entirely in private sector businesses without a union, and seeing the benefits our family has enjoyed from the strong union that represents my wife as a public schoolteacher. Things can always be improved, but they can be much worse (and are much worse for most workers).

This is a good thing. It means they've reached your number/group. What does your report date say?

When/if your drug test expires, most of the time transit will send you the employment offer letter again (sometimes they will call), because on the back end of the process, you have to go through the initial process again, which includes a second lab. I saw this when I went for initial processing. There were a few whose drug test expired and the HR person gave specific instructions for those who have recieved a second letter, but have already come down to do the first drug test and fill out paper work. 

The good news is that you won't have to fill out everything again, just the paper that says "have you had a DOT drug test before," and you'll list NYCT as the tester (they will give you instructions on how to do this.) 

One of two things, or both will happen:

1. You will go through the second drug test (first part of the day) and Medical (second part of the day) on the same date;

2. When your drug test comes back in a few days, if negative, you will be called back down for final processing and given a start date, most likely June 30th.

Edited by AAnxious

This is a good thing. It means they've reached your number/group. What does your report date say?

When/if your drug test expires, most of the time transit will send you the employment offer letter again (sometimes they will call), because on the back end of the process, you have to go through the initial process again, which includes a second lab. I saw this when I went for initial processing. There were a few whose drug test expired and the HR person gave specific instructions for those who have recieved a second letter, but have already come down to do the first drug test and fill out paper work. 

The good news is that you won't have to fill out everything again, just the paper that says "have you had a DOT drug test before," and you'll list NYCT as the tester (they will give you instructions on how to do this.) 

One of two things, or both will happen:

1. You will go through the second drug test (first part of the day) and Medical (second part of the day) on the same date;

2. When your drug test comes back in a few days, if negative, you will be called back down for final processing and given a start date, most likely June 30th.

its for June 2nd. Thanks for the info, I'm just glad i dont have to fill out everything again. Still makes no sense to me that i had to fill out employment history again in the first place. Being that i already done it when i was hired as a B/O. but it's TA so im use to the head scratchers  lol

its for June 2nd. Thanks for the info, I'm just glad i dont have to fill out everything again. Still makes no sense to me that i had to fill out employment history again in the first place. Being that i already done it when i was hired as a B/O. but it's TA so im use to the head scratchers lol

What is your list # range?

Natic03, interesting..... Probably just a mistake. I didn't recieve any new letter for 8098 exam. Stay on the top of it and please post after calling MTA HR office.

I will post if any changes to my situation.

well i called up and they told me that they tend to call more than they need so for everybody drug test thats over 90 days you have to fill out the paperwork again and to come in the date the 2nd job letter says. smh I really have to start saving my job history.

side note:

Keep in mind that if you switch tittles in TA they still make you put down your 10 yr history, so you might want to save that for future references, I'm learning the hard way lol