Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

If you dont mind me asking can break down the process for me? what did they ask you at the interview?

Same ticket thing

Then fill medical paper

Wait some

Go over to medical part

Wait some more

Go into medical

Wait some more

EKG

Hearing

Eye

Piss again

Back out to first medical waiting area

Wait some more

See doc (I saw doc before all the test so it was quick she just told me I was cleared)

Back to to first part

Wait some more

Sit with interveiwer

Go over paper work

Fingerprints

Complete going over paperwork get two books and a packet in blue folder

Done

Take ID picture and out the door. Get ID first day.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it started with my class, the March 25th class. we've been doing our "3 months in the yard" for about 3 weeks now, and the program is already done for??? lmao! they better not let these April, May, June, July classes graduate before i do!

I am in April class and Monday is official release to the yard. I was talking about July class. RDO this coming week is Sunday, Saturday. Me like so far. Lol

Edited by Gherigfan1

Yes this is true, they need people on the roads.

This in not true, the road is pretty much covered in the A division. A lot of XX guys sit on the board and wait to get called for a job now. No big demand for new TOs in the A division. After the pick was over there was over 100 people left that got sent to the XX list. Now I don't know about the B division. They may need people. There is a need for new T/Os constantly but the demand has dwindled a bit since last year. And there are ALOT of new TO in school car right now that hasn't even finished. I feel kinda bad for you guys that start in August and next week. When u come out y'all are gonna be XX for a loooong time. TSS was telling me today he was XX for 3 years before he could pick a job and that's how it gonna be for a lot of the recent hires. But don't let that discourage you. It's a great job. XX is ok if you dont mind instability lol. Congrats to all who are getting in. Edited by Success7

But your statement is based on retention. There is a pretty decent number of new T/Os washing out right now and it's expected that the number will grow the further down the list they hire. Lots of probies hitting signals 3 times which is an automatic termination at this point. Typically the further down the lists they usually go the less patience they have to slip ups.

There are always going to be a good number of XX people...that's the way it's supposed to be. They need the flexibility to cover holes in scheduling because people book off at the last minute etc. plus having people who aren't committed to a specific tour or RDO to fill a need.

However, yes, seniority will move slower for the more recent hires, but people are still retiring at a very rapid rate.

This in not true, the road is pretty much covered in the A division. A lot of XX guys sit on the board and wait to get called for a job now. No big demand for new TOs in the A division. After the pick was over there was over 100 people left that got sent to the XX list. Now I don't know about the B division. They may need people. There is a need for new T/Os constantly but the demand has dwindled a bit since last year. And there are ALOT of new TO in school car right now that hasn't even finished. I feel kinda bad for you guys that start in August and next week. When u come out y'all are gonna be XX for a loooong time. TSS was telling me today he was XX for 3 years before he could pick a job and that's how it gonna be for a lot of the recent hires. But don't let that discourage you. It's a great job. XX is ok if you dont mind instability lol. Congrats to all who are getting in.

Dan is in the B Div they have a shortage of TOs in the B Div.

Its crazy over here.

Edited by RTOMan

Same ticket thing

Then fill medical paper

Wait some

Go over to medical part

Wait some more

Go into medical

Wait some more

EKG

Hearing

Eye

Piss again

Back out to first medical waiting area

Wait some more

See doc (I saw doc before all the test so it was quick she just told me I was cleared)

Back to to first part

Wait some more

Sit with interveiwer

Go over paper work

Fingerprints

Complete going over paperwork get two books and a packet in blue folder

Done

Take ID picture and out the door. Get ID first day.

Thanks for the reply, what kind of paperwork did they go over?

Dan is in the B Div they have a shortage of TOs in the B Div.

Its crazy over here.

Yea I figured it would be like that in the B Div. that's a lot of ground to cover over there. I would do an A to B transfer only if I could pick a job. I can't imagine XX life in the B. It's already bad enough in the A.

Yea I figured it would be like that in the B Div. that's a lot of ground to cover over there. I would do an A to B transfer only if I could pick a job. I can't imagine XX life in the B. It's already bad enough in the A.

If there's a shortage of T/O's in the B division, then wouldn't be easier to pick a job?

If there's a shortage of T/O's in the B division, then wouldn't be easier to pick a job?

there's a shortage of XX people to fill jobs when the people who have picked jobs book off, get sent for randoms, get sent to the MAC for an incident, get put out of service, need test trains, need to do a move from one yard to another ect ect.

Being XX in B division is not as bad as some would think. The B CAS usually keep XX crews within their selected district to keep life as simple as possible. The same can't be said for the A division.

I start in the July 29 class. Are new-hires given the opportunity to select a Divison? My list # is in the 940-960 range. Because of where I live, I would pick "A" Divison. (However, I am most familiar with certain "B" lines-- the BMT Broadway, Brighton, Sea Beach, Fourth Avenue, and West End lines. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to choose B Divison - BMT only.)

Well both divisions remain in need generally speaking so if you want the A divisions odds are you will be able to pick it or have it forced upon you.

As for your familiarity with B division lines. If you haven't operated them then you are not familiar. Knowing point A to point B is one thing but controlling the train and seeing "how" to get from point A to point B in those B division tunnels are a totally different story. If you do go to the B pay full attention in school car and embrace the entire learning experience and you'll be fine.

If you do go to the B pay full attention in school car and embrace the entire learning experience and you'll be fine.

Is the A division easier to learn because there's only two types of trains? 

You can say that but that doesn't make the A division that much less of a challenge. Yes there are less types of equipment by comparison and less points of no return to learn but ATS creates its own share of side issues you have to learn to deal with. And in the A ATS is always right and the T/O is always wrong unless there are some mitigating circumstances.

You can say that but that doesn't make the A division that much less of a challenge. Yes there are less types of equipment by comparison and less points of no return to learn but ATS creates its own share of side issues you have to learn to deal with. And in the A ATS is always right and the T/O is always wrong unless there are some mitigating circumstances.
school car is about 2 months shorter for the A division. This doesnt mean it's any easier than the B. I actually think it makes things a little harder. You have to learn the same rules the same procedures same signals in a shorter amount of time. You also have less cab time which I think is a big disadvantage. The more time you spend in that cab during school car the better off you'll be. In regards to learning the equipment and the division itself, yes the A is probably easier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I start in the July 29 class. Are new-hires given the opportunity to select a Divison? Because of where I live, I would pick "A" Divison. (However, I am most familiar with certain "B" lines-- the BMT Broadway, Brighton, Sea Beach, Fourth Avenue, and West End lines. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to choose B Divison - BMT only.)

Yes, you get to pick, given that there is still room in the division you want when called upon to pick. Promotionals get first pick then they call the OC guys in seniority order.

Is the A division easier to learn because there's only two types of trains?

The A Division has fewer equipment than the B. Training is 3 months less also. You have to learn the same, rules, signals, etc. Operation is relatively the same, you just have to learn the technical part for each equipment.