Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

It's supposed to be valid 90 days yet they had me go back yesterday morning, which is less than 60 days. Found it strange since there is the July 29 class (found that out straight from the head of schoolcar a few weeks ago). With 1061 being last appointed I was thinking I'd get the July class instead of later, #110x. Redoing the drug test makes it seem like an August or later sort of deal. Currently in C/R schoolcar, so i'm ready for whenever :)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's supposed to be valid 90 days yet they had me go back yesterday morning, which is less than 60 days. Found it strange since there is the July 29 class (found that out straight from the head of schoolcar a few weeks ago). With 1061 being last appointed I was thinking I'd get the July class instead of later, #110x. Redoing the drug test makes it seem like an August or later sort of deal. Currently in C/R schoolcar, so i'm ready for whenever :)

Hmm. Your list # should put you into July 29. According to 180, they're looking for 50 men to fill that class. Perhaps they have many names from the "preferred list" to call-back. I'm sure there are guys with even lower #'s that have just been cleared too. There will be a "August/September" class too. It's gonna happen for you, maybe just a month later than expected. If I wasn't put on hold in May, I'd have been part of the June 24 class. Oh well. :rolleyes:

There was a lady there Tues who is going for CR she said she turned down the BO because it pays less than her current MTA position and that she was there because she had received a 2nd notice to take the drug test however, she had just taken it 3 wks ago.

She was told that they called her for a retake because they were planning ahead. That by the time the next anticipated CR class was to start her 90 day's would be up she was tight because like you she was trying to get in an earlier class later this month or early August.

that's being modest. With the amount of time I've sat on board and then picked up a penalty job I'm sure it's going to be over 80k this year. Also keep in mind the night differential. When you first come out of school car you won't be on board very often. The crew office wants you working out there getting experience. Now it seems like I'm on board twice a week.Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What does it mean when your on the board?

Hey guys havnt been on here for a minute, congrats to all that was on here posting about taking D/T & Medicals and i see you guys made it into schoolcar and some already passed good stuff.

I took my name off the list but am going to put it back on im ready now for the transition to the job hopefully. Does any1 have exp with this as far as with my name being put back on does my list number and say any1 elses that are before what they are calling get put in the front?? Im list# 69* and heard they are in the 1000s. Any input would be helpful thanks guys

You immediately get placed in front for the next class as long as your DT is not expired and you are medically cleared.

You'll be the first called during Orientation as long as no one else pulled the same thing with a lower list number for Division selection. You'll receive the lowest file number of all inductees within your hire date. So your seniority will be at the top of your class.

Edited by RTOPRO

You immediately get placed in front for the next class as long as your DT is not expired and you are medically cleared.

You'll be the first called during Orientation as long as no one else pulled the same thing with a lower list number for Division selection. You'll receive the lowest file number of all inductees within your hire date. So your seniority will be at the top of your class.

RTOPRO thanks for the response sorry want to clearify, i havnt taken my D/T or Medical yet I declined the intial D/T, so was wondering would I be on say the 1st wave of D/T going out now for future medicals?? TIA

that's being modest. With the amount of time I've sat on board and then picked up a penalty job I'm sure it's going to be over 80k this year. Also keep in mind the night differential. When you first come out of school car you won't be on board very often. The crew office wants you working out there getting experience. Now it seems like I'm on board twice a week.Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 BetaWhat does it mean when your on the board?

when you come out of school car you are considered extra extra. That means you don't have a regular job or set days off. The crew office assigns you a job a few days in advance. You job is covering those who call out sick, go on vacation, retire ect.. When you don't have a job the crew will assign you a terminal or a central location to report to at a specific time. This is called being on the board. You basically sit there until a job opens up. Someone called out sick last minute, someone gets sent for a random or whatever. If a job doesn't open up which is rare you go home after 8 hours. However if something does open up they can send you anywhere in the division. You can be sitting there for 5 hours then a 10 hour job opens up and you gotta go work that job. Usually if you don't have anything by the 7th hour your good however in theory you could be sitting there for 7 hours and 59 minutes and if they need you, you're going.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

when you come out of school car you are considered extra extra. That means you don't have a regular job or set days off. The crew office assigns you a job a few days in advance. You job is covering those who call out sick, go on vacation, retire ect.. When you don't have a job the crew will assign you a terminal or a central location to report to at a specific time. This is called being on the board. You basically sit there until a job opens up. Someone called out sick last minute, someone gets sent for a random or whatever. If a job doesn't open up which is rare you go home after 8 hours. However if something does open up they can send you anywhere in the division. You can be sitting there for 5 hours then a 10 hour job opens up and you gotta go work that job. Usually if you don't have anything by the 7th hour your good however in theory you could be sitting there for 7 hours and 59 minutes and if they need you, you're going. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thank you for the heads up. I also heard that if you don't get a job within a full 8 hours you get paid for the whole day. Meaning you will be basically hanging out with the guys in the crew room playing cards. Union rule once, you sign in with the Train Dispatcher; your on the payroll automatically. One ques: what is the name of the person that does the schedule in the crew office???

Thank you for the heads up. I also heard that if you don't get a job within a full 8 hours you get paid for the whole day. Meaning you will be basically hanging out with the guys in the crew room playing cards. Union rule once, you sign in with the Train Dispatcher; your on the payroll automatically. One ques: what is the name of the person that does the schedule in the crew office???

Yes you get paid for anything you do when you work down here. There's too many people in the crew office, not just one.

My pre-interview was May 7th. Second DT was July 2nd, now I'm just waiting on a call back for medical. List # 108x hopefully get a call this week, fingers crossed.

Was it in and out fairly quickly since it was the 2nd DT? I have to go back in tomorrow.

Was it in and out fairly quickly since it was the 2nd DT? I have to go back in tomorrow.

I was out by 10:30am. I got there a little after 7AM i'm assuming the ticket #'s started out at 100 mine was 119. They make you fill out 2 DT forms then you just play the waiting game.

when you come out of school car you are considered extra extra. That means you don't have a regular job or set days off. The crew office assigns you a job a few days in advance. You job is covering those who call out sick, go on vacation, retire ect.. When you don't have a job the crew will assign you a terminal or a central location to report to at a specific time. This is called being on the board. You basically sit there until a job opens up. Someone called out sick last minute, someone gets sent for a random or whatever. If a job doesn't open up which is rare you go home after 8 hours. However if something does open up they can send you anywhere in the division. You can be sitting there for 5 hours then a 10 hour job opens up and you gotta go work that job. Usually if you don't have anything by the 7th hour your good however in theory you could be sitting there for 7 hours and 59 minutes and if they need you, you're going. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What do u do while waiting??? can u play a game? read magazines? play cards--lol .... nap??? i mean it is a LONG time to just sit and roll your fingers....will someone else be there with you??? are ALL new T/O extra/extra or just some? how long this lasts? after how long do you get a "regular" job? does that mean you just work the SAME line, SAME shift, SAME RDO's all the time?

It sounds like no one is able to drive to work...must take public transportation since you report at one location but might ending up finishing a job at opposite end of town....is this right???

What do u do while waiting??? can u play a game? read magazines? play cards--lol .... nap??? i mean it is a LONG time to just sit and roll your fingers....will someone else be there with you??? are ALL new T/O extra/extra or just some? how long this lasts? after how long do you get a "regular" job? does that mean you just work the SAME line, SAME shift, SAME RDO's all the time?

It sounds like no one is able to drive to work...must take public transportation since you report at one location but might ending up finishing a job at opposite end of town....is this right???

Put it this was, MTA rules state no card playing and no sleeping anywhere on transit property. Whatever else you do to pass the time is up to you. You are in a crew room, so there are others coming and going all day. All new t/o who finish school car are XX. Eventually you will be able to pick a job. No telling when that might be, could be a year could be 3 years. All depends on how fast you move up in seniority and how many jobs there are too pick from. And before you ask you move up when people retiree, quite, get fired ect. Anyone that comes out of school car after you is behind you in seniority. When you do pick a job you will have the same rdo, same tour, same job every day until the next pick which is every 6 months. Or you can pick extra or vacation relief in which case you'll have different jobs.

For any new T/Os coming aboard now expect to wait quite some time before having the chance to pick. To those who were called with list numbers ranging into the 600s, there is a chance......slim one but a chance none the less that you might have something left to pick up, in terms of a regular job coming up in the December pick. Beyond that there is really no shot. There are far too many T/Os (new) both promotional T/Os who have been on the job out of school car for two years at least now and there are the new OC T/Os taking up spots since late last year. File numbers are up to 38XX. That's seniority numbers for those who don't know and although there are a lot of retirements, those retirements are not outpacing hires right now.

For any new T/Os coming aboard now expect to wait quite some time before having the chance to pick. To those who were called with list numbers ranging into the 600s, there is a chance......slim one but a chance none the less that you might have something left to pick up, in terms of a regular job coming up in the December pick. Beyond that there is really no shot. There are far too many T/Os (new) both promotional T/Os who have been on the job out of school car for two years at least now and there are the new OC T/Os taking up spots since late last year. File numbers are up to 38XX. That's seniority numbers for those who don't know and although there are a lot of retirements, those retirements are not outpacing hires right now.
I came out in March and my xx list number is in the low 50s. I am hoping I will be able to pick into the b division come December. This 2 hour commute is killing me.

Edited by dagenius69

Hey Calvin, I went in for 2nd DT today and it was not as fast as May 9th. In may I was out of there in under an hour, today I got there a bit late(around 7:20am) with a ticket # in the 15xs and I finished around 2:30. Unfortunately the lab crew was understaffed and only had 2 people working,others were out sick. Around 2 oclock it seemed like the cavalry of 3 other techs came to help which made the room clear out quickly. I wish everyone with 2nd DTs a speedier turn around time but for me the job opportunity is worth the wait. Now I will wait a little more for the medical phone call. Good Luck everyone!!!!

Hey Calvin, I went in for 2nd DT today and it was not as fast as May 9th. In may I was out of there in under an hour, today I got there a bit late(around 7:20am) with a ticket # in the 15xs and I finished around 2:30. Unfortunately the lab crew was understaffed and only had 2 people working,others were out sick. Around 2 oclock it seemed like the cavalry of 3 other techs came to help which made the room clear out quickly. I wish everyone with 2nd DTs a speedier turn around time but for me the job opportunity is worth the wait. Now I will wait a little more for the medical phone call. Good Luck everyone!!!!

Went really quick 3rd person to get ticket out the door @ 930am

Anybody have any info as far as future classes or how much more they are hiring?? I thought I saw a post some schoolcar TSS was telling someone they still need about 1000 T/Os could this be true?? I know they have hired quite a few already, and I guess theres a class starting the 29th of this month. Im re establishing my name on the list next week so was just trying to get a picture of whats going on, hoping for maybe a Sept/Oct Class maybe of getting in. Any info appreciated guys thanks