Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

after my first day at 180 livington st I was amazed and surprised at the set up. a whole huge floor with a DMV type ticket system, there own lab, own doctors. most all companies send that stuff out to labs and doctors. but after hearing all the stuff about the MTA , I understand now.

investigation finds out one thing you missed.. YOUR FIRED!

fail one test in school car...YOUR FIRED!

get one question wrong on your signal test.. YOUR FIRED!

that's why they need that big set up cause they go thru new hires and fire or disqualify them so fast.

that's why as happy as I am I made it to school car im not jumping up and down with joy and telling the world I got this fantastic job. cause I mite not have it in a month or two. I will wait till I get out of probation to celebrate. at least by then I will have the union to help me out if I have a problem.

Rtopro hit the nail on the head, his view of how things go are right on. I have only been here for a few months and I see it. I just carry myself as I belong there, because right now I do. Keep in mind, if you fail a quiz you get tutoring for 2 hrs, which you get paid for. You don't get fired for failing a quiz. Exams and practices are another story. 2 chances......that's it, well only one with the signal exam. And the 2nd chance for everything else is with a superintendent and quizzes are write ins. Pay attention, it's not that hard if you pay attention and apply yourself. Good luck

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rtopro hit the nail on the head, his view of how things go are right on. I have only been here for a few months and I see it. I just carry myself as I belong there, because right now I do. Keep in mind, if you fail a quiz you get tutoring for 2 hrs, which you get paid for. You don't get fired for failing a quiz. Exams and practices are another story. 2 chances......that's it, well only one with the signal exam. And the 2nd chance for everything else is with a superintendent and quizzes are write ins. Pay attention, it's not that hard if you pay attention and apply yourself. Good luck

Starting schoolcar on Monday. I'll be 30 soon, and this is the career opportunity I've been working towards for years. I'm excited. Eager to start, but with caution. From what I've read on here, there seems to be many ways to get "jammed up". I'm not worried, but I just wanna do things right. I'll try to be consistently friendly, humble, attentive, and inquisitive. My dad made it 30 years, retired as a TSS. My uncle did 25, retired as a RCI. I'm grateful for this chance, and I intend to run with it. I'm not thinking 25-30 years ahead. I plan to take it one day at a time. But I expect to do well; to graduate, make it through probation, and give it a shot. I just find it hard to believe that getting one single question wrong on a signal exam = The End. Let's say you are golden. You do everything right. Come to work on time, you work hard, you learn quickly and proficiently. Your classmates and Motor Instructor's like and respect you. But you choose one wrong answer on one test. That's it, huh? I know it's been said many times here, it just seems a bit unreasonable. With that said, I plan to study those things as much as possible to ensure that I can identify and explain any signal-- in my sleep. From what I'm hearing, this schoolcar experience seems as intense, demanding, and critical as a police academy. Except you don't get to live and board there. In my case, you get to commute 3-4 hours round-trip, five days a week. I wish I knew somebody in the boroughs with a decent room available. ANYWHO-- I'm gonna try and avoid any negative thinking about this experience, and about TA employment in general. Labor relations, investigations, G2s, piss tests, whatever. I can only focus on myself and what I am expected (and paid) to do. I am ready to take the plunge. See ya there!

I feel you 100% on that thinking. This opportunity brings me closer to my daughter so I will be focused when I start. I already told my friends when I move back to nyc it's not celebration time. It's time to be focused.

Edited by CalvinSC

I will also be starting Monday 7/29! I am beyond excited to finally be at this point. Looking forward to this next chapter of my life. I've been following this thread for quite some time now and I want to thank everyone who gave such great advice on what to expect of the hiring process and after. LET'S DO THIS!!! :D

I feel you 100% on that thinking. This opportunity brings me closer to my daughter so I will be focused when I start. I already told my friends when I move back to nyc it's not celebration time. It's time to be focused.

Glad to hear that, Calvin. I think I need to send a memo to my buddies as well. The next 4-6 months are going to mean business. Can't be staying up late and partying on school nights. Got too much at stake here. Best of luck to ya!

Starting schoolcar on Monday. I'll be 30 soon, and this is the career opportunity I've been working towards for years. I'm excited. Eager to start, but with caution. From what I've read on here, there seems to be many ways to get "jammed up". I'm not worried, but I just wanna do things right. I'll try to be consistently friendly, humble, attentive, and inquisitive. My dad made it 30 years, retired as a TSS. My uncle did 25, retired as a RCI. I'm grateful for this chance, and I intend to run with it. I'm not thinking 25-30 years ahead. I plan to take it one day at a time. But I expect to do well; to graduate, make it through probation, and give it a shot. I just find it hard to believe that getting one single question wrong on a signal exam = The End. Let's say you are golden. You do everything right. Come to work on time, you work hard, you learn quickly and proficiently. Your classmates and Motor Instructor's like and respect you. But you choose one wrong answer on one test. That's it, huh? I know it's been said many times here, it just seems a bit unreasonable. With that said, I plan to study those things as much as possible to ensure that I can identify and explain any signal-- in my sleep. From what I'm hearing, this schoolcar experience seems as intense, demanding, and critical as a police academy. Except you don't get to live and board there. In my case, you get to commute 3-4 hours round-trip, five days a week. I wish I knew somebody in the boroughs with a decent room available. ANYWHO-- I'm gonna try and avoid any negative thinking about this experience, and about TA employment in general. Labor relations, investigations, G2s, piss tests, whatever. I can only focus on myself and what I am expected (and paid) to do. I am ready to take the plunge. See ya there!

Guys, the signal exam isn't as hard as we make it out to be. By the time you take it, you have gone over and over the signals so much you can't help but pass. Just keep it in your head you have to learn them word for word and you will be fine. 2 people in my class got one answer "wrong" on the exam. One was a write in and one was a multiple choice question. The superintendent called them in and asked them to explain it to him, which they did correctly. They are still here today. Just keep in mind, that is not a guarantee. You will do fine. We had a couple of other classmates that didn't get it right away and even messed up on some signals on a quiz a week or so before the signal exam. They too are still here. I found that we put so much pressure into that exam because it's the finite. Believe me when I say, it's not that hard, you will be ready. No worries, just study and listen.

Guys, the signal exam isn't as hard as we make it out to be. By the time you take it, you have gone over and over the signals so much you can't help but pass. Just keep it in your head you have to learn them word for word and you will be fine. 2 people in my class got one answer "wrong" on the exam. One was a write in and one was a multiple choice question. The superintendent called them in and asked them to explain it to him, which they did correctly. They are still here today. Just keep in mind, that is not a guarantee. You will do fine. We had a couple of other classmates that didn't get it right away and even messed up on some signals on a quiz a week or so before the signal exam. They too are still here. I found that we put so much pressure into that exam because it's the finite. Believe me when I say, it's not that hard, you will be ready. No worries, just study and listen.

Thanks!

Glad to hear that, Calvin. I think I need to send a memo to my buddies as well. The next 4-6 months are going to mean business. Can't be staying up late and partying on school nights. Got too much at stake here. Best of luck to ya!

Correction. 7-9 months....

What's good ppl, can anyone tell me about TSS Urbanski.

Sounds like a Polish name to me.

I will also be starting Monday 7/29! I am beyond excited to finally be at this point. Looking forward to this next chapter of my life. I've been following this thread for quite some time now and I want to thank everyone who gave such great advice on what to expect of the hiring process and after. LET'S DO THIS!!! :D

What was your list #?

Looks like those of you reporting tomorrow will be either the last class or the next to last class performing three months yard posting. As matter of fact those of you who end up in the B division class may not do three months yard posting at all.

Looks like those of you reporting tomorrow will be either the last class or the next to last class performing three months yard posting. As matter of fact those of you who end up in the B division class may not do three months yard posting at all.

Lawd please no we need em out here in the B Div its getting crazy...

Hi everyone. I've been following this post for about 4 months now, ever since I received a notice in the mail to go in and verify my veterans status. I had forgotten about this test that I took back in '09. My list # is 21xx. When I received notice I was pretty Syked, but then I started reading these posts and it really tempered my enthusiasm. But in the last couple of months I have seen a steady creep up in the list. Hopefully the pattern holds. I'm just wondering if there are any other people up in my range who have been tracking the progress, and what there feelings are about it. I am on a list for motor vehicle operator, in the top 20, and from what I understand veterans points can only be applied once so I don't want to lose a chance at civil service job waiting for something that won't happen. From what I see the train operator position is better than the mvo position.

Tss Urbanski is cool. I think he is right under supt Gibbs in schoolcar. Can come off as a jerk, but he's cool as long as you're doing what you should be.

The signal test isn't as hard as long as you study your ass off and pay attention, but that doesn't take away the extreme attention that needs to be paid to signals. There are some superintendents that will ask you to explain a write in if its unclear, but I've heard (from the mouth of a schoolcar superintendent) that if you get a multiple choice question wrong, that's it. Remember TA is spending a lot of money on you to train you, so they're not trying to trip you up..but you have to know your signals!

Good luck and welcome to all that started today and in previous classes!

Tss Urbanski is cool. I think he is right under supt Gibbs in schoolcar. Can come off as a jerk, but he's cool as long as you're doing what you should be.

The signal test isn't as hard as long as you study your ass off and pay attention, but that doesn't take away the extreme attention that needs to be paid to signals. There are some superintendents that will ask you to explain a write in if its unclear, but I've heard (from the mouth of a schoolcar superintendent) that if you get a multiple choice question wrong, that's it. Remember TA is spending a lot of money on you to train you, so they're not trying to trip you up..but you have to know your signals!

Good luck and welcome to all that started today and in previous classes!

Fyi, that doesn't always hold true about the multiple choice questions. We had one guy blow one and he is still here. Not guaranteed, but he made it. If you have no clue, and they see who doesn't have a clue, missing a multiple choice is not a good look I am sure. 

Missing a multiple choice question will cost you the job. Misunderstanding a write in will have you walking to the Supt to clarify your position and they will determine if you can go back and rewrite the answer or if it was wrong where you will lose the job.

Missing a multiple choice question will cost you the job. Misunderstanding a write in will have you walking to the Supt to clarify your position and they will determine if you can go back and rewrite the answer or if it was wrong where you will lose the job.

This time it didn't. Believe me when I tell you,a multiple choice. He still works here to this day. I wouldn't make it up. Edited by Gherigfan1

This time it didn't. Believe me when I tell you,a multiple choice. He still works here to this day. I wouldn't make it up.

That is something you need not repeat...That gets around and School Car gets bumped up two notches and we'll be XX FOR 5 years. Keep that kind of info very private.