Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

You can say that but that doesn't make the A division that much less of a challenge. Yes there are less types of equipment by comparison and less points of no return to learn but ATS creates its own share of side issues you have to learn to deal with. And in the A ATS is always right and the T/O is always wrong unless there are some mitigating circumstances.

ATS can either with for you or against you. If you go out and know what you're doing and be attentive then you should not fear ATS. Hit a signal? Overran a station? Be truthful and consider it to be lube.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not about fearing ATS. Signals in the A division have plenty of problems and when one trips a train randomly it's the T/O's fault until the same thing happens to the following train. It's a monthly occurrence. ATS will change your punch after you've made your selection and left the station. ATS will give you wrong line ups. None of this is about fearing ATS. It's about learning the craft of being a T/O in the A division involves expecting the unexpected and then to top it all off when you operate through all of that madness and you make it past 149th/GC n/b you leave ATS territory and go back to manually controlled tower operation up at Unionport where line ups get pulled from T/Os almost daily.

It's not about fearing ATS. Signals in the A division have plenty of problems and when one trips a train randomly it's the T/O's fault until the same thing happens to the following train. It's a monthly occurrence. ATS will change your punch after you've made your selection and left the station. ATS will give you wrong line ups. None of this is about fearing ATS. It's about learning the craft of being a T/O in the A division involves expecting the unexpected and then to top it all off when you operate through all of that madness and you make it past 149th/GC n/b you leave ATS territory and go back to manually controlled tower operation up at Unionport where line ups get pulled from T/Os almost daily.
it's really not that bad. I have found when a signal trips a train ats dropped the id or someone at rcc took the lineup away without telling the t/o. Either way it's not the t/o's fault. I also found that all the punches south of Mott with the exception of 125 north bound, Franklyn and newkirk are all useless. ATS does what it wants regardless of what you punch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

On situations like this, the event recorders on the train as well as on the signals well save you. It's the brighter side of ATS

Look, at the end of the day no one is saying the technology doesn't save you but what some may not understand going through the madness to begin with is headache enough for most in a guilty until proven innocent system that is our NYCT employee environment. It's about what really happens before the process has a chance to play itself out. Derailment investigations look at the operation and operator before they look at rail maintenance. Like the 1 line derailment. There was an emergency GO in place about said rail before the derailment yet the operator was looked at as if he did something wrong? Like I said ATS is not an end all but it aids those who argue for less manual operation and more automation.

hey guys, im starting on Monday an I have 2 questions.

1. when do we get paid? if I remember right the lady at the interview said the checks are made at the beginning of the month so if you call out a day you get paid and have it taken out later. so I assume if its like that then they don't hold back a week like most jobs do.

2. does anyone have an idea where I can buy those pants and shirt for orientation. how long until we get our uniforms ?

1. when do we get paid? if I remember right the lady at the interview said the checks are made at the beginning of the month so if you call out a day you get paid and have it taken out later. so I assume if its like that then they don't hold back a week like most jobs do.

2. does anyone have an idea where I can buy those pants and shirt for orientation. how long until we get our uniforms ?

We get paid next week. And count 2 weeks after that and that will be your first paycheck. It's every other Thursday. On the bright side, you guys are starting on the beginning of the pay period, so you guys will get a full paycheck. I recommend getting direct deposit asap, it takes a couple of paychecks to kick in. Not sure about when checks are processed, shouldn't worry about calling out. Not until after your 1st year unless it is a BIG emergency, that's my opinion on that matter. I went to Work n gear for my clothes. My uniforms came within a week and a few days after measurement. 

You will need to receive your first check as a live check before signing up for Direct Deposit. Once you do receive that first check and all the information on it is verified (by you) to be correct you can apply for direct deposit. While yes you can do it via a form, you can also do it via your online BSC account at http://www.mtabsc.info.

You click on the employees and retirees link and enter your BSC number and password. You will already have a temporary password assigned to you. Look through the induction booklet for instructions on what that password should look like. You will be prompted to change your password and every 90 days following the initial set up.

Going back to Direct Deposit...it is supposed to take at least two pay periods to kick in but the earlier you process it after receiving the first live check, the greater the chances your next pay will be via Direct Deposit.

Edited by RTOPRO

Look, at the end of the day no one is saying the technology doesn't save you but what some may not understand going through the madness to begin with is headache enough for most in a guilty until proven innocent system that is our NYCT employee environment. It's about what really happens before the process has a chance to play itself out. Derailment investigations look at the operation and operator before they look at rail maintenance. Like the 1 line derailment. There was an emergency GO in place about said rail before the derailment yet the operator was looked at as if he did something wrong? Like I said ATS is not an end all but it aids those who argue for less manual operation and more automation.

Totally agree its a guilty until proven innocent Job and as long as you are correct go through the BS and in the end you will be ok.. Just dont expect a "my bad" from Labor Relations.. You arent getting it...

How are the TSS's about taking a few days off during school car? I have a wedding to go to in California in October.

Rrrriiiiiight.

Get the threads at JC Penney.

How are the TSS's about taking a few days off during school car? I have a wedding to go to in California in October.
hahaha good luck with that! I had a christening to go to and I was the Godfather. When I asked the head of school car for the day off her exact respond was "oh well sorry you're not going to make it" this was the Sunday before Thanksgiving that we weren't even supposed to work. But they decided to give us off that Friday instead so we had to work Sunday. Remember they really could care less about you. You're just a number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by dagenius69

hahaha good luck with that! I had a christening to go to and I was the Godfather. When I asked the head of school car for the day off her exact respond was "oh well sorry you're not going to make it" this was the Sunday before Thanksgiving that we weren't even supposed to work. But they decided to give us off that Friday instead so we had to work Sunday. Remember they really could care less about you. You're just a number. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

after my first day at 180 livington st I was amazed and surprised at the set up. a whole huge floor with a DMV type ticket system, there own lab, own doctors. most all companies send that stuff out to labs and doctors. but after hearing all the stuff about the MTA , I understand now.

investigation finds out one thing you missed.. YOUR FIRED!

fail one test in school car...YOUR FIRED!

get one question wrong on your signal test.. YOUR FIRED!

that's why they need that big set up cause they go thru new hires and fire or disqualify them so fast.

that's why as happy as I am I made it to school car im not jumping up and down with joy and telling the world I got this fantastic job. cause I mite not have it in a month or two. I will wait till I get out of probation to celebrate. at least by then I will have the union to help me out if I have a problem.

Send a Gift...

"Needs of the service" Matter..

Your Needs don't....

It is what it is but hey in the long run its worth it. Trust me  :)

Edited by RTOMan

I remember there was this guy at orientation who was trying to argue with the TSS's about how he HAD to work AMs due to his children, and they flat out told him that he'd better find a different line of work. We never saw him again.

Unless you have picked vacation (which does not apply while in schoolcar), don't count on making ANY plans your first year.

after my first day at 180 livington st I was amazed and surprised at the set up. a whole huge floor with a DMV type ticket system, there own lab, own doctors. most all companies send that stuff out to labs and doctors. but after hearing all the stuff about the MTA , I understand now.

investigation finds out one thing you missed.. YOUR FIRED!

fail one test in school car...YOUR FIRED!

get one question wrong on your signal test.. YOUR FIRED!

that's why they need that big set up cause they go thru new hires and fire or disqualify them so fast.

that's why as happy as I am I made it to school car im not jumping up and down with joy and telling the world I got this fantastic job. cause I mite not have it in a month or two. I will wait till I get out of probation to celebrate. at least by then I will have the union to help me out if I have a problem.

And that is exactly the attitude you cannot have. Let me just throw out some advice. You can take it or not and I can honestly tell you I wouldn't be offended either way but this is a dog eat dog profession we're in. There are some senior guys and crew room lawyers that will eat your for breakfast. They get off on making you feel as small as possible mainly because they been there so long they got nothing else to get them interested. Mind you they are the minority and a majority of your peers will be lovely, nice and outgoing. That's the good part, but the negative attitudes can take their toll which is why:

When you walk in that crew room - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

When it's time for you to take your practicals, quizzes or any other tests pertaining to the profession you - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

When it comes time to go posting - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

When you make it through school car and hit the road - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

When someone else tries to instill doubts in you about you - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

You are only as good as your last move and if you make your last move better than the one before it you will be one of the best TRAIN OPERATORS!

All in all you have to put this in perspective. You get paid a lot of money for transit to train you for the profession meaning money is being paid by transit to make you a TRAIN OPERATOR. Months are spent getting you prepared and even though some debate whether the training is good or not it's definitely good because we have the best Train movers worldwide. You are given every opportunity to succeed before they take your tools from you so it's up to YOU to make the best of it, therefore: There can be no such thing as you might not have this job. It's that type of thinking that makes even the best too nervous during practicals that mistakes, they wouldn't make otherwise, are made causing failure. From this point forward remember who you are. The crew room vultures smell believers and doubters as soon as they step in the room!

And that is exactly the attitude you cannot have. Let me just throw out some advice. You can take it or not and I can honestly tell you I wouldn't be offended either way but this is a dog eat dog profession we're in. There are some senior guys and crew room lawyers that will eat your for breakfast. They get off on making you feel as small as possible mainly because they been there so long they got nothing else to get them interested. Mind you they are the minority and a majority of your peers will be lovely, nice and outgoing. That's the good part, but the negative attitudes can take their toll which is why:

When it's time for you to take your practicals, quizzes or any other tests pertaining to the profession you - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

When you make it through school car and hit the road - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

When someone else tries to instill doubts in you about you - YOU ARE A TRAIN OPERATOR!

You are only as good as your last move and if you make your last move better than the one before it you will be one of the best TRAIN OPERATORS!

All in all you have to put this in perspective. You get paid a lot of money for transit to train you for the profession meaning money is being paid by transit to make you a TRAIN OPERATOR. Months are spent getting you prepared and even though some debate whether the training is good or not it's definitely good because we have the best Train movers worldwide. You are given every opportunity to succeed before they take your tools from you so it's up to YOU to make the best of it, therefore: There can be no such thing as you might not have this job. It's that type of thinking that makes even the best too nervous during practicals that mistakes, they wouldn't make otherwise, are made causing failure. From this point forward remember who you are. The crew room vultures smell believers and doubters as soon as they step in the room!

I respect this post in it's ENTIRETY great words for this and any other position you get sworn into you have to hold your head high and own every minute of it. Definitely make each next move your best move. Edited by Syrenity

F#©*ing A!!! Your the man RTO. Couldn't gave said it better myself.

Exactly  one or two tried that crap with me back when i started in 2001(One of the 1st O/C classes)..

They found out quick i wasnt the One..

Lots of my classmates are still here some took promos and are TSS's or Dispt's..