B46 +SelectBusService+

East New York

Does the issue seem to be the frequencies for each version (i.e. not enough BPH for the local or too much for the SBS) or is it the reliability? 

When you have 6 buses within 10 minutes and none of them are that full it looks like a bad case of the bunchies. Given the SBS trips have been shortened and avoid the slowest portion of the route there's not much to stop buses on 2-3 minute peak headways from piling in bunches mid-route. With the local, the poorer headways and Broadway traffic is likely leading to really wide gaps which increases the chance for crushloaded buses. Where things go from here will be interesting in terms of adjustments to this flawed operation.

Side Note: Part of me would want to gloat having heard there are empty B46 buses running around since the scheduled LTD weekday service always looked excessive to me (on paper) when compared to other high ridership routes. 

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side note: What do they do in the situation where a wheelchair passenger is stuck on a bus (needing to get off the bus) w/ a broken lift?

At the SI public hearing back in 2010, an older woman spoke about that. In her words "The ramp went up, and it got stuck in midair. They had to call the fire department to get me down". (She lived in Mariners Harbor, which wasn't seeing any service cuts, so she just wanted to show up to complain, but anyway)

So yeah, apparently they call the fire department. I heard the B/Os aren't allowed to touch the wheelchair because of liability issues  (if they injure themselves, or if they injure the person in the wheelchair)

Does the issue seem to be the frequencies for each version (i.e. not enough BPH for the local or too much for the SBS) or is it the reliability?

When you have 6 buses within 10 minutes and none of them are that full it looks like a bad case of the bunchies. Given the SBS trips have been shortened and avoid the slowest portion of the route there's not much to stop buses on 2-3 minute peak headways from piling in bunches mid-route. With the local, the poorer headways and Broadway traffic is likely leading to really wide gaps which increases the chance for crushloaded buses. Where things go from here will be interesting in terms of adjustments to this flawed operation.

Side Note: Part of me would want to gloat having heard there are empty B46 buses running around since the scheduled LTD weekday service always looked excessive to me (on paper) when compared to other high ridership routes.

I explained exactly what the issues are with the line is in my previous posts. There is too much capacity now. And scheduled limited weekday service was by no means excessive in the last bit. Again the B46 is the heaviest used line, and it does not have articulated buses. Naturally "on paper" there would be more runs because artics reduce runs. But if you have taken over 1000 trips on the route like I have over the years you would know it was never excessive. At times it wasn't enough.... Since the 46 runs 40 footers more buses are needed. The numbers in black and white are inaccurate. Now the local buses are crush loaded because the service is not optimized the way it should be. What MTA should have done was decrease head ways on the SBS, and increase service on the local, short turn buses and add buses in at Dekalb and Eastern Parkway.

You all also have to remember that sometimes 6 buses can pull-up back to back and it's the height of peak so they all may be scheduled within a minute or two of each other and could also be leader-follower trips when the buses are scheduled to be there at the same time. This also happen with out in. So a lot of you need to remember that sometimes when 3-6 buses pull up at once, they could be schedule that way. If a bus is up to 5 minutes early, or 5 minutes late it's still considered on time.

Many seem to not realize that what most of you may see as bunching, at times is just needed capacity. Especially on heavy lines without artics during rush.

At the SI public hearing back in 2010, an older woman spoke about that. In her words "The ramp went up, and it got stuck in midair. They had to call the fire department to get me down". (She lived in Mariners Harbor, which wasn't seeing any service cuts, so she just wanted to show up to complain, but anyway)

So yeah, apparently they call the fire department. I heard the B/Os aren't allowed to touch the wheelchair because of liability issues  (if they injure themselves, or if they injure the person in the wheelchair)

The same thing in the subway. When the elevator is OOS, FDNY is called to assist the customer in exiting the station.....

I think it's interesting that they're turning a lot of lines with high rates of farebeating into SBS lines...  :lol: The Bx6 and the B46 come to mind...

Alot of limited services will be replaced with SBS. The Bx6 also isn't turning into a SBS line, just a SBS being added to it. 

Alot of limited services will be replaced with SBS. The Bx6 also isn't turning into a SBS line, just a SBS being added to it. 

My point wasn't about the lines having limited stop service, but more about how these lines may actually benefit from less farebeating and more accurate ridership figures.  It's rather ironic when you think about it.

I think it's annoying that they're coming out with these SBS routes period - with the end result being the withering of (which I most certainly believe is deliberate) the corresponding local counterparts to the SBS routes (of which it applies)....

Local service is being treated like supplements to SBS routes, when they should be complements.....

Grossly imbalanced frequencies between the separate services; The SBS buses are being rammed down riders' throats & locals are infact arriving far too far in-between around here.... It's almost like waiting for a Q11 along Woodhaven & seeing a shitload of Q52's & Q53's passing you by (which is a separate gripe I have with that dynamic, over in Queens).... That should never be the case on a route like the B46...

As for your last point, well here's the thing....

The LTD's weren't excessive in conjunction to the locals.... The SBS' are excessive in conjunction to the locals....

Another way of putting that is, the ratio to SBS:locals compared to LTD:locals, is undeniably greater.....

Unrelated. I had to walk home the last three blocks because the bus driver "got lost."  It also wasn't his fault. The dispatchers forgot to cancel a reroute due to street repavement that was just completed so the bus turned into a street that was blocked off and had to wait for the dispatcher to back him out. It was quicker just to walk than wait.

I think it's annoying that they're coming out with these SBS routes period - with the end result being the withering of (which I most certainly believe is deliberate) the corresponding local counterparts to the SBS routes (of which it applies)....

Local service is being treated like supplements to SBS routes, when they should be complements.....

While I agree with you, it's a win-win for the (MTA).  They get more revenue since they'll have the Eagle teams on those buses to deter farebeating, and they'll likely have to provide less local bus service (assuming the folks in the poor areas won't complain).

While I agree with you, it's a win-win for the (MTA).  They get more revenue since they'll have the Eagle teams on those buses to deter farebeating, and they'll likely have to provide less local bus service (assuming the folks in the poor areas won't complain).

But the Eagle Team costs a small fortune. It isn't cheap. Cafiero stated to the City Council that it was the most expensive component of SBS, but none of those scmucks would even ask what the cost is.

But the Eagle Team costs a small fortune. It isn't cheap. Cafiero stated to the City Council that it was the most expensive component of SBS, but none of those scmucks would even ask what the cost is.

Given the amount of rampant farebeating on these lines, I'd argue that it's worth it, not only from a cost standpoint, but also from a safety perspective too.  When you think of the types of individuals that tend to cause problems in the transit system, they often times don't pay the fare, be it on the bus or the subway, so this may improve the quality of the rides for many passengers.  Besides, we can't keep sticking it to the paying public.  The deadbeats need to either pay or walk, so I support the extra cost given what we get in return.

Given the amount of rampant farebeating on these lines, I'd argue that it's worth it, not only from a cost standpoint, but also from a safety perspective too.  When you think of the types of individuals that tend to cause problems in the transit system, they often times don't pay the fare, be it on the bus or the subway, so this may improve the quality of the rides for many passengers.  Besides, we can't keep sticking it to the paying public.  The deadbeats need to either pay or walk, so I support the extra cost given what we get in return.

I'd have to agree since most of the lines the SBS has been implemented in have high rates of fare-beating already, Most of the eagle teams earns their weekly paycheck worth of tickets in less than a day.  

I'd have to agree since most of the lines the SBS has been implemented in have high rates of fare-beating already, Most of the eagle teams earns their weekly paycheck worth of tickets in less than a day.

We need to see the MTA's accounting in that. My gut says if it were true, the MTA would be bragging about it, not saying it is the most expensive ongoing cost of SBS.

The MTA keeps talking about how transparent they are, yet we gave very little transparency.

You will think the amount of tickets they give out already,it'll cover the operation cost at the end of the day....it's a win-win situation for the TA

A large issue for the crush loaded locals is due to people not understanding how to transfer to another bus .

I pick up many passengers at select stops. That also get off at select stops.

So curiosity made me ask a passenger how come she didn't take the select bus that was also in the stop at the same time as me. She said that the bus she wants to transfer to doesn't take the SBS tickets because she paid with coins.

I explained that all she needs to do for future reference is to present the SBS driver with her ticket and request a transfer so that she can put that in the bus she's transferring to.

She explained that she didn't have any clue that was possible. Not to mention she had a walker and it was an RTS bus. So it slowed down service. When she really could have just jumped on the NF SBS easily.

So many riders still take the locals because of uncertainty. And sticking to what they know. Even if it's the slower alternative.

More education needs to be made available.

Ads in buses that provide instructions.

More visible instructions.

Automated voice instructions at the SBS machines for the elderly and for those who just don't read at all...

Something. These people aren't informed well enough.

As far as the local vs SBS frequency, they need to short turn some locals at DeKalb. Exactly what I predicted is what is happening.

If there's some sort of blockage on Broadway or any other abnormal slow down, RIP to the first operator coming down to Malcolm X and DeKalb from Broadway.

Also we need higher frequency for those passengers who used to receive limited service below AVE H.

Half the buses, double the people.

Many people come on yelling that there's 5 6 or 7 "blue buses" and no locals. And I'd just say to myself, "man, I'm actually on schedule right now".

Hopefully they address this issue for fall.

A large issue for the crush loaded locals is due to people not understanding how to transfer to another bus .

I pick up many passengers at select stops. That also get off at select stops.

So curiosity made me ask a passenger how come she didn't take the select bus that was also in the stop at the same time as me. She said that the bus she wants to transfer to doesn't take the SBS tickets because she paid with coins.

I explained that all she needs to do for future reference is to present the SBS driver with her ticket and request a transfer so that she can put that in the bus she's transferring to.

She explained that she didn't have any clue that was possible. Not to mention she had a walker and it was an RTS bus. So it slowed down service. When she really could have just jumped on the NF SBS easily.

So many riders still take the locals because of uncertainty. And sticking to what they know. Even if it's the slower alternative.

More education needs to be made available.

Automated voice instructions at the SBS machines for the elderly and for those who just don't read at all...

Something. These people aren't informed well enough.

As far as the local vs SBS frequency, they need to short turn some locals at DeKalb. Exactly what I predicted is what is happening.

If there's some sort of blockage on Broadway or any other abnormal slow down, RIP to the first operator coming down to Malcolm X and DeKalb from Broadway.

Also we need higher frequency for those passengers who used to receive limited service below AVE H.

Half the buses, double the people.

Many people come on yelling that there's 5 6 or 7 "blue buses" and no locals. And I'd just say to myself, "man, I'm actually on schedule right now".

Hopefully they address this issue for fall.

Damn blue buses....  :lol:

Ad's with instructions can only be useful if they are outside the bus, and that results in loss of AD Space 

Ad's with instructions can only be useful if they are outside the bus, and that results in loss of AD Space 

Might be worth it if it results in increased ridership and more utilization of the more efficient +SBS+ (so there's less overtime you have to pay the local B/Os due to delays)

Archived