Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was my testimony at Nassau County Legislature hearing. I know you don't like LIBRU, but I also spoke both NICE Bus and School Bus Strike together.

Good afternoon, ladies & gentlemen, Nassau County Legislature, Executive Edward P. Mangano, democratic and republican parties.
My name is Yuki Endo, resident of Jackson Heights, and member of Long Island Bus Riders Union.
I kindly ask you to increase funding for NICE Bus service because NICE Bus are threatening to cut service on low-ridership buses such as n50, n51, and n80/81 buses which is eastern Nassau County Bus that travels between North and South Shores, along with n2/8 Green Acres Loop will operate during rush hour, and n46 Bellmore Village service will be eliminated.
If service cut happens on fixed-route buses, this will also impact Able-Ride paratransit riders because according to ADA policy, Able-Ride is allowed to serve 3 ¼ miles of fixed-route buses.
As result of that NICE Bus is planning to schedule public hearings in November, and I would like Nassau County to contact NICE Bus to hold public hearing here at Nassau County Legislator Building, Uniondale Hotel, Merrick Library, Massapequa Library, Hicksville Public Library, Bellmore Public Library because these are villages where bus service will be eliminated.
Also in Suffolk County, Suffolk County Department of Work is planning to cut service on 10 low-ridership buses on Suffolk County Transit.
I also kindly ask Nassau County to ask NICE Bus to implement to use small buses because other transit agency such as Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority uses small buses on fixed-route buses like this and according to Suffolk County, it’s not USDOT or NYSDOT to have small buses operating on fixed-route buses.
(Since I couldn't find my photo of SEPTA Champion bus #127, I use my Japanese railfan friend, Ikue (female senior) and this photo is courtesty of Ikue since I took picture with her camera during the visit to Philly together)
420951_2962297329469_368840381_n.jpg?oh=
Also you might be aware of school bus strike by Bauman & Son, Inc.
If you mixed the school bus strike, Nassau County NICE Bus, and Suffolk County Bus cuts, students will have harder commute without low-ridership buses, how will students will get to schools, colleges, universities without NICE Bus, SuffolK County Transit Bus or school bus?
This is reason why we need all Low-Ridership buses to operate if NICE Bus is planning to increase cash and GoMobile Fare from $2.50 to $2.75, which is current MetroCard fare.

Edited by FamousNYLover

This was my testimony at Nassau County Legislature hearing. I know you don't like LIBRU, but I also spoke both NICE Bus and School Bus Strike together.

Didn't NICE and Suffolk say that the state wasn't helping out to fund their bus systems, which was why they're cutting routes?

Problem is there would be no threat of a strike as the Strike was adverterted back on Tuesday, and depending on when you gave your testimony it would be a moot problem. Also a Mootoer problem since I believe most of the work in Nassau is done by ACME in Nassau which does door to door service and would have no impact on Publice Transit. I bellieve most of Baumann's large bus work in Nassau is done by driver that are repersented by TWU 252 not the Teamsters. 

Problem is there would be no threat of a strike as the Strike was adverterted back on Tuesday, and depending on when you gave your testimony it would be a moot problem. Also a Mootoer problem since I believe most of the work in Nassau is done by ACME in Nassau which does door to door service and would have no impact on Publice Transit. I bellieve most of Baumann's large bus work in Nassau is done by driver that are repersented by TWU 252 not the Teamsters. 

I was comparing after if NICE/SCT eliminate of low-ridership buses, school bus strikes happens, they will have harder commutes and student eeds wouldn't make to school b/c they cannot afford taxis and parent canot drive them to work.

I was comparing after if NICE/SCT eliminate of low-ridership buses, school bus strikes happens, they will have harder commutes and student eeds wouldn't make to school b/c they cannot afford taxis and parent canot drive them to work.

Problem is that Students wouldn't have take Public Transportation.  I mentioned this to you else where, back in the fall of 2003 Laidlaw's Center Moriches yard went on strike for a few days at the start of the school year. I was the ONLY HS student that took SCT to and from school. I know this because the bus driver asked my why I was the only student to ride the bus.  Parents would either drive the students, they walk, or they car pool. 

However like I said the strike was moot because it had nothing to do with the topic of NICE cuts. 

Problem is that Students wouldn't have take Public Transportation.  I mentioned this to you else where, back in the fall of 2003 Laidlaw's Center Moriches yard went on strike for a few days at the start of the school year. I was the ONLY HS student that took SCT to and from school. I know this because the bus driver asked my why I was the only student to ride the bus.  Parents would either drive the students, they walk, or they car pool. 

However like I said the strike was moot because it had nothing to do with the topic of NICE cuts. 

Right, a lot of NYC residents don't understand that Long Island students either walk to school or get a ride.

When I missed the last school bus in HS, I would take a 2 mile ride on the n78 (riding around the loop if schedule permitted). A lot of my friends felt bad for me.

image.jpg

NICE is unveiling several new high-tech initiatives, from real-time bus tracking on mobile phones to video cameras on buses, and bringing back a low-tech convenience for straphangers: straps.

Among the many features in the newest fleet of Nassau buses are old-fashioned straps mounted on rails for standing riders to grab during their trips. It's been years since Nassau buses featured individual handles.

"We decided to put these back in," Nassau Inter-County Express CEO Michael Setzer said during a tour Thursday of its new Xcelsior model buses, made by Winnipeg, Manitoba-based New Flyer. "We have a lot of standees, and these are safe."

The 52 new buses, manufactured in Anniston, Alabama, cost about $465,000 each and were largely paid for with federal and state funding. About nine of the new buses will begin making runs next week.

Other features include: a transparent barrier by the fare box to shield drivers from attacks; 10 video cameras mounted inside and outside buses to record incidents and accidents; and lights on the sides of buses to help drivers see adjoining travel lanes better.

The buses will replace older vehicles that have been on the road for a dozen years or more.

"If we can park 52 of our worst performers and replace them with these, then customers will experience much more reliability," Setzer said.

Key to those reliability goals is the state-of-the-art NICE Integrated System, designed and built by Woodbury-based Clever Devices. The technology allows NICE to use global positioning systems to provide real-time information on all its vehicles to bus dispatchers and to customers.

Various aspects of the new technology have come online over the last several months -- the most recent of which is a new function on NICE's mobile device application.

Gomobile, powered by Transit App, can automatically pinpoint a rider's location, tell him what routes are nearby, and how far away a bus is. An alarm feature even notifies a user when a bus is minutes away.

"That way, I can sit at my desk, or work, or get a cup of coffee. The alarm will go off, and then I'll know, 'Oh, now I've got to start walking,' " NICE spokesman Jack Kzhous said. "I don't have to go to a bus stop and wait 20 minutes or 25 minutes. I can be as productive as I can be prior to that bus arriving."

NICE has also recently begun using the GPS technology to help track and route its buses.

For the first time, dispatchers in NICE's Garden City headquarters have a real-time view of all its 300 buses. NICE officials said that allows them to quickly respond to incidents, and will provide valuable information for adjusting schedules.

Had to snicker and roll my eyes seeing the new buses with King Edward's name plastered on them.  With how much animosity he holds against NICE, you'd think he wouldn't spend taxpayer money being so vain -- especially since if voters take his throne away, all those buses would need a re-spray.  But we all know that, because of NICE's budget constraints, Transdev would print up colored stickers to slap over that area if that time would come.  DDOT used to do that, have the current mayor's name above the front door on the roof -- even on the printed bus schedules -- which would mean making work later on (costing money) to change stickers and print all new schedules.  Then they got smart and did away with it.

You'd almost expect that level of self-adoration from characters like DeBlasio in cities, but for it to occur on a suburban system, talk about rare.

But we all know that, because of NICE's budget constraints, Transdev would print up colored stickers to slap over that area if that time would come. 

Also saves time to resticker then to repaint.  Suffolk Transportation Service seemed to use a sticker on the sides of the IC CE's they recieved from Atlantic Express for buying some of their contracts rather then decal their name like they did to the Blue Bird Vision's they recived. Though Suffolk Transportation Service's Large Bus Fleet is made up of Blue Bird's. 

Also saves time to resticker then to repaint.  Suffolk Transportation Service seemed to use a sticker on the sides of the IC CE's they recieved from Atlantic Express for buying some of their contracts rather then decal their name like they did to the Blue Bird Vision's they recived. Though Suffolk Transportation Service's Large Bus Fleet is made up of Blue Bird's. 

My whole problem with stickers/decals is the wear and tear caused by the bus washes especially.  Which was why I liked the MTA's reasoning as to paint jobs for the entire bus scheme -- lasts longer and even though labor costs are affected minimally, it gives a better appearance.  Nothing tackier than seeing a "bumper sticker" peeling, attracting dirt and just looking like a half-assed band-aid job.  And let's face facts: If NICE can't afford regular maintenance, they sure aren't going to be prompt on making sure damaged stickers or decals are replaced to maintain the "fresh" look on new buses.  Besides, is the current fleet all in uniform livery as it is, after how many years?

Edited by DetSMART45

My whole problem with stickers/decals is the wear and tear caused by the bus washes especially.  Which was why I liked the MTA's reasoning as to paint jobs for the entire bus scheme -- lasts longer and even though labor costs are affected minimally, it gives a better appearance.  Nothing tackier than seeing a "bumper sticker" peeling, attracting dirt and just looking like a half-assed band-aid job.  And let's face facts: If NICE can't afford regular maintenance, they sure aren't going to be prompt on making sure damaged stickers or decals are replaced to maintain the "fresh" look on new buses.  Besides, is the current fleet all in uniform livery as it is, after how many years?

Your problem though relays on them washing the buses. If they can't afford regular maintanice as everyone says, then I would assume they wouldn't have the money to wash the buses.

If they would do such a thing they would probably use some type of wrap type thing like what is used for the ad's on Suffolk's buses. I don't think those peel.

Your problem though relays on them washing the buses. If they can't afford regular maintanice as everyone says, then I would assume they wouldn't have the money to wash the buses.

If they would do such a thing they would probably use some type of wrap type thing like what is used for the ad's on Suffolk's buses. I don't think those peel.

I can almost guarantee you that if Transdev had to purchase the buses like they do in Europe, that they would be getting washed regularly. How much does it REALLY cost to use the bus wash versus corrosion and road usage taking their toll on AN INVESTMENT?  Yes, you read that right -- If there's the Fed "guideline" of 12 years service, why doesn't King Edward ensure that the bus investment lasts that long, especially since washing is the least costliest of PM?  And I would think that, being the "suburbs" and how ooh-la-la Nassau is versus the dirty "city", that it would almost be expected that buses look clean and pristine while traversing the county.  (Sarcasm there, ICYMI.)

MTA quite obviously washes their buses completely, rather than a wheel brush job, judging by all the pictures members here post, but somehow NICE can't do the same?  With a MUCH smaller fleet?  If NICE can't do something so basic with their maintenance budget, you have to wonder if Eddie's stipend will ensure these new buses last the total years of the investment.  In other words, taxpayers are getting screwed, yet again.

I can almost guarantee you that if Transdev had to purchase the buses like they do in Europe, that they would be getting washed regularly. How much does it REALLY cost to use the bus wash versus corrosion and road usage taking their toll on AN INVESTMENT?  Yes, you read that right -- If there's the Fed "guideline" of 12 years service, why doesn't King Edward ensure that the bus investment lasts that long, especially since washing is the least costliest of PM?  And I would think that, being the "suburbs" and how ooh-la-la Nassau is versus the dirty "city", that it would almost be expected that buses look clean and pristine while traversing the county.  (Sarcasm there, ICYMI.)

MTA quite obviously washes their buses completely, rather than a wheel brush job, judging by all the pictures members here post, but somehow NICE can't do the same?  With a MUCH smaller fleet?  If NICE can't do something so basic with their maintenance budget, you have to wonder if Eddie's stipend will ensure these new buses last the total years of the investment.  In other words, taxpayers are getting screwed, yet again.

NICE has instagram posts of buses being washed.