Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the cuts start shifting westward, then things will heat up.  I don't think too many people need a bus east of Hicksville.

Well in western Nassau there are many places to take the bus to, especially places with lack of parking (Flushing, Jamaica, (7)(A)(E)(F)(J) subway stations). In eastern Nassau, it's quicker and more convenient to drive everywhere as opposed to waiting one hour for a bus, and most likely need one or two connections. 

Most of the buses in western Nassau also run along commercial corridors, once you get past the Meadobrook Parkway many of the thru-roads aren't necessarily commercial. One example is Merrick Ave south of Stewart Ave (N51).  There's a shopping center here and there, but they're small and someone could get there and back home by car while someone would still be waiting at the bus stop for the first bus.

Well in western Nassau there are many places to take the bus to, especially places with lack of parking (Flushing, Jamaica, (7)(A)(E)(F)(J) subway stations). In eastern Nassau, it's quicker and more convenient to drive everywhere as opposed to waiting one hour for a bus, and most likely need one or two connections. 

Most of the buses in western Nassau also run along commercial corridors, once you get past the Meadobrook Parkway many of the thru-roads aren't necessarily commercial. One example is Merrick Ave south of Stewart Ave (N51).  There's a shopping center here and there, but they're small and someone could get there and back home by car while someone would still be waiting at the bus stop for the first bus.

This, once again, begs a satisfactory answer to one I previously posed:

If these "commercial" routes are used as infrequently as they are, why hasn't Transdev done something about their operations up to this point?  They key idea here is that Transdev is, as they put it, transit experts.  They didn't just come on the scene, they've been watching this for years, so changes should have been made already.

For as boneheaded Detroit's transit is, they even cut underperforming routes or shrank service within recent times.  On some of the lighter used routes, they originally cut service to only AM/PM Peak both ways, and when customers said they needed more service, they adjusted to fit in midday service as well.  A recent example of this was in September, when two routes which were joined because of cuts/adjusting were separated again back to their original running states.

The laggard routes should have already been made M-F only, AM/PM Peak only, route-run shortened with select trips extensions, or something of that matter.  Those operating dollars could have gone toward other heavier-used routes or elsewhere.

Transdev is not living up to one of their primary "mottos" you can find on their website:

"The multi-modal transport expert, Transdev combines service quality, economic performance and a dedication to the public interest."

In fact, if you go there and scan the menu bar embedded with similar company platitudes, there's a whole lot that NICE is missing out on.

This, once again, begs a satisfactory answer to one I previously posed:

If these "commercial" routes are used as infrequently as they are, why hasn't Transdev done something about their operations up to this point? They key idea here is that Transdev is, as they put it, transit experts. They didn't just come on the scene, they've been watching this for years, so changes should have been made already.

Veolia/Transdev has a clause in their that they may only cut/adjust service by small percent each year without approval from the transit committee.

To go further into your post it doesn't really serve the community to cut "under used" routes, making them M-F... Not everyone worked only M-F, cutting routes to say weekdays with no weekends and no evenings limits the bus to really just the elderly andthose relieving SSDI, I'd be willing to bet the majority of that segment is already using able ride and not on the transit buses. IF there is data that routes are really under utilized on the weekends, by all means cut it...

I feel that even though the routes aren't used enough, there should be some sort of coverage. The n50, n51 and n81 should be retained of all the routes mentioned. The n50 situation is iffy though, because the n49 serves the portion north of Hempstead Turnpike, which is a significant portion. I felt that when they made the service cuts there, the n50 instead of the n46 should've been the one to have eliminated midday service, not the other way around. With the n46, there's still a transfer to buses to Hicksville.

Veolia/Transdev has a clause in their that they may only cut/adjust service by small percent each year without approval from the transit committee.

To go further into your post it doesn't really serve the community to cut "under used" routes, making them M-F... Not everyone worked only M-F, cutting routes to say weekdays with no weekends and no evenings limits the bus to really just the elderly andthose relieving SSDI, I'd be willing to bet the majority of that segment is already using able ride and not on the transit buses. IF there is data that routes are really under utilized on the weekends, by all means cut it...

So much wrong with this.

C'mon, somebody, especially you who want to downvote me:

ANSWER MY ORIGINAL QUESTION.  I'll repeat it for you if you forgot:

HOW can Transdev run operations all these years and NOT know -- because of their "expertise" -- how to best serve Nassau residents?

Let's start there, and begin a discussion ... otherwise fap away.  Shaking the head just isn't enough.

So today, I decided to take the N32 to Hempstead Transit Center, which took me an hour and then I catch the N6 to Hillside Av/179 st (F) . I did miss the N6x when the N32 was approaching the transit center. First time taking the N6 and it started to get crowded before reaching Belmont Race Track and after that, it just got really crowded. I can't believe Chuck E. Cheese's at The Hub is still there. It's been like nearly 10 years since I last went there, plus I used to go there on my b-day. Now I'm still surprise they have the old (MTA) Long Island Bus route sign near Wavecrest Shopping Center, I would of thought it will be replace with the newer one by now.  Also, along Francis Lewis Blvd and Hillside Av going towards 165th Street Bus Terminal, whenever the bus drop off passengers at a bus stop, I don't see any bus signs for that route other than (MTA) bus sign routes.

Because in the contract with Nassau County Veolia/Transdev cannot cut service by more than a small percentage 20-25% I forget the exact number off hand).

There have been a lot of know it all's here since 2011 who are in high school or just barely out of it who think they (surprise) know it all. A lot of the time they don't even have all the data, and have no work experience in transit, they just sit in front of their computer and play transit operator. Mike Setzer (CEO of NICE) has been working in transit, running systems longer than many members here have been alive. No offense, but if Setzer and his team thinks this plan (budget, route cuts, and what is being cut) is the best way to run the system it means a hell of lot more to me than what you or any other member here comes up with.

Because in the contract with Nassau County Veolia/Transdev cannot cut service by more than a small percentage 20-25% I forget the exact number off hand).

There have been a lot of know it all's here since 2011 who are in high school or just barely out of it who think they (surprise) know it all. A lot of the time they don't even have all the data, and have no work experience in transit, they just sit in front of their computer and play transit operator. Mike Setzer (CEO of NICE) has been working in transit, running systems longer than many members here have been alive. No offense, but if Setzer and his team thinks this plan (budget, route cuts, and what is being cut) is the best way to run the system it means a hell of lot more to me than what you or any other member here comes up with.

Who really gives a flying fark about somebody's "experience" when it's patently obvious they're not cutting the mustard as it is now?  Ever heard of Enron?  All of those people had "experience" and what did it get them in the end?

My point is, and has been, that things should have been handled all along the way -- not this, "WOW! Look at this ... well, we've gotta handle this now ... never saw this coming" BS especially from so-called "transportation experts".

If there's been all this "experience" in play, WHY have things deteriorated to the point it's at now?  Maintenance budget, especially, being hit as it is?  "Experience" should have not allowed that to happen.

You're going to have a worthless system, even for your SSID/elderly that you cite as pawns, if nobody puts some accountability in place -- WITH some teeth included.

EDIT:  Oh, and BTW -- I'm hardly a recent HS grad.  Got plenty of life experience under my belt.  May not be transit-related, but common-sense "LIFE" stuff (i.e. coping without whining and finding solutions on your own) is still a "plus" with a lot of us.  Especially since it's what helped build this country (and that 'nasty' Western-civilization as well).

/ steps off soapbox

Edited by DetSMART45

Far Rockaway could use a bus to Roosevelt Field: http://mapq.st/1MelFJG

P. S. - No stops are made along Peninsula Boulevard between Lakeview Avenue and West Graham Avenue.

If people in Far Rockaway wants to go to Roosevelt Field Mall, they can take the N33 to Long Beach LIRR and transfer to the N15 there. Or the N31/N32 to Hempstead Transit Center and transfer either the N27 or the N15. Those are the only options, not unless if they want to drive all the way over there.

So today, I decided to take the N32 to Hempstead Transit Center, which took me an hour and then I catch the N6 to Hillside Av/179 st (F) . I did miss the N6x when the N32 was approaching the transit center. First time taking the N6 and it started to get crowded before reaching Belmont Race Track and after that, it just got really crowded. I can't believe Chuck E. Cheese's at The Hub is still there. It's been like nearly 10 years since I last went there, plus I used to go there on my b-day. Now I'm still surprise they have the old (MTA) Long Island Bus route sign near Wavecrest Shopping Center, I would of thought it will be replace with the newer one by now.  Also, along Francis Lewis Blvd and Hillside Av going towards 165th Street Bus Terminal, whenever the bus drop off passengers at a bus stop, I don't see any bus signs for that route other than (MTA) bus sign routes.

Why should NICE have any markings on w/b stops in Queens when they don't pick up there?

Why should NICE have any markings on w/b stops in Queens when they don't pick up there?

Oh, I didn't know. I rarely take NICE, plus it was my first time taking the N6. So I forgot they only drop off passengers in Queens coming from Nassau County.

So today, I decided to take the N32 to Hempstead Transit Center, which took me an hour and then I catch the N6 to Hillside Av/179 st (F) . I did miss the N6x when the N32 was approaching the transit center. First time taking the N6 and it started to get crowded before reaching Belmont Race Track and after that, it just got really crowded.

Yes one of the busiest part of the N6 is from Cross Island Parkway to Elmont Road. This is probably why they don't really want to increase service when they know the Hempstead bound buses lighten up east of Elmont Road and the Westbound buses around Springfield Blvd. During rush hours to Jamaica sometimes the n6 goes by full and the n1 fills up picking up the slack . Some N1's have to flag stops on Hempstead Turnpike. This is why they should have left the N6 Limited alone.

The least they can do is make people move back and try not to flag anyone. 

I think the suggestion I read on here to get articulated buses for the n6, n4 and n20 is a good one. New Flyer makes a "NICE" articulated bus.

I think it might work on n20 because I saw trailer truck turning around using the same U-turn area in Great Neck Plaza.

I also think artic bus would properly hit the curb at NYIT Loop way Bee-Line W40/W41 articulated bus always hit the curb at Main Entrance of Westchester Medical Center.

I think it might work on n20 because I saw trailer truck turning around using the same U-turn area in Great Neck Plaza.

I also think artic bus would properly hit the curb at NYIT Loop way Bee-Line W40/W41 articulated bus always hit the curb at Main Entrance of Westchester Medical Center.

We're not gonna go through this whole "artic turning vs standard turning" spiel again...

We're not gonna go through this whole "artic turning vs standard turning" spiel again...

Both a 40 ft and a 60 ft bus have a 44' turning radius.

From the pics that I've seen on IG, the XN40 has a capacity of 39 seats and 35 standees. The trade off is 4-5 less seats than the Vs and VIIs.

Do you think NICE or the MTA would get a fully-electric bus for their fleet from New Flyer?