Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10617063_1662658230620730_1110546520_n.j

11934838_1494224354211957_1223910391_n.j

12105087_1657867694454408_1415949728_n.j

Too bad this image isn't bigger:

12093326_1662205303991684_1270997923_n.j

Ugly Filter:

12139763_455356001314791_1308379990_n.jp

Guy sounds like a nerd in this video:

On Board Rides (Too bad the guy recorded the wrong way in portrait mode in both videos):

Anyone want to predict how long until the first breakdown of an XN40?

Edited by MTA Orion Bus

Probably not for a while. Let's not forget that NICE inherited improperly maintained buses from LIB.

You'd lose that bet.

Saw one on the n20 broken down in Flushing with a service truck last night. Looks like their teething issues started kicking in.

Edited by Cait Sith

It's insulting to think about.  $2.75 to cram yourself onto a 40 ton bus with 40 other people onboard just to go almost three times as slow as just about every other car moving by.  If you live along and only need one line, it's not that bad, but having to take one bus for almost 50 minutes just to transfer to another (like I had to do for almost 3 years) is just godawful.  There's no other word for it.

According to newsday.

n2/8 only operate during rush hour.

n46 Bellmore village service can

n14, n17, n50, n51, n62 and n80/81 buses will be eliminated.

Briafcliff Admissitrative and Students want n81 bus to be save because without n81 bus service, they cannot go to campus. Briafcliff College don't have shuttle bus and student will be forced to take taxi. 

Majority of elderly and seniors citizen don't want n50/51 and n2/8 off-peak to be cut.

Newsday made two mistakes: It read n2/8 Peak direction to Jamaica and n17 Roosevelt Field-Rockville Cetre.

Just saw it on page that n73/74 and n19 Suffolk County segment will get discontinue.

Edited by FamousNYLover

According to newsday.

Briafcliff Admissitrative and Students want n81 bus to be save because without n81 bus service, they cannot go to campus. Briafcliff College don't have shuttle bus and student will be forced to take taxi. 

Majority of elderly and seniors citizen don't want n50/51 and n2/8 off-peak to be cut.

Newsday made two mistakes: It read n2/8 Peak direction to Jamaica and n17 Roosevelt Field-Rockville Cetre.

Just saw it on page that n73/74 and n19 Suffolk County segment will get discontinue.

Can you link the Newsday article? NICE told me on Twitter that the n81 is not getting cut, and the site doesn't mention the n2/8.

I think properly maybe because of my petition, they properly took off n2/8 and n81 off the list.

I could scan the article tomorrow because I go to Pt. Wash Library to scan article.

After my petition, Briaffcliff College also started their petition to save n81 bus.

I drop of my petition signature twice.

Edited by FamousNYLover

So they're discontinuing the n46 completely instead of truncating it at Newbridge Road... that's interesting. Bellmore sees quite a hefty cut, leaving the rush hour n45 only, and the n19. That cut though will leave several areas without bus service at all. I agree with the n81 being retained.

Also, if they're gonna cut the n19 to Sunrise, they should make sure it connects to the S20. During several hours of the day however, there would be no S20 service, since the n19 operates later than the S20, and it will be truncated. It leaves everybody with the n72, and it doesnt run out to Babylon on Sundays.

I think properly maybe because of my petition, they properly took off n2/8 and n81 off the list.

I could scan the article tomorrow because I go to Pt. Wash Library to scan article.

After my petition, Briaffcliff College also started their petition to save n81 bus.

I drop of my petition signature twice.

Found it. So they took the n2/n8/n81 off the table and cut the n73/74, along with the entirety of the n46.

They should've cut the n58 north of USMMA, the n36/n81 on Saturdays, and the n70/72 east of Route 110, to save the n46 and a weekday N74.

Edited by Amtrak7

According to newsday.

How many people actually take the bus to Briarcliffe? 

From their page:

Nassau County Bus Transit Committee Meeting- November 19th, 3:00 pm , 6:00 pm

This meeting will be held at the Legislative Chamber, Theodore Roosevelt Executive & Legislative Building, 1550 Franklin Avenue, Mineola, NY 11501

In order to close a budget gap, a proposal to eliminate 8 of the smallest routes and raise cash and mobile fares by 25 cents will be suggested to the Bus Transit Committee during Public Hearing on Nov 19th. These routes will effect approximately 1% of our daily ridership.  In some cases, there may be some alternative bus routes for passengers. If the proposal is adopted by the Bus Transit Committee, fare increase would take effect on January 1, 2016. Service reductions would begin on January 17th

We are proposing that the following routes be eliminated due to very low ridership :
n14, n17, n46, n50, n51, n62 (both routings), n73, n74, n80
-n19 trips will end at the Sunrise Mall and will not travel between the Mall and Babylon

For trips on the n46 in the central portion of the County, we are suggesting using the n47 from HTC to Newbridge Road
For n19 trips between the Sunrise Mall and Babylon, we are suggesting using SCT 20 route

Notice-of-Hearings November 19th, 2015
Agenda-3PM-11-19-15_3
Agenda-6PM-11-19-15
Public-Hearing-NoticeSpan111915
AgendaSPAN-3PM-11-19-15
AgendaSPAN-6PM-11-19-15

To comment on the proposed fare increase, click here

Para hacer comentarios sobre el aumento de tarifas propuesto, haga clic aquí

"Long Island's NICE bus service isn't well received by its resident commuters, but those commuters are left with no other option but the NICE service."

Fact is-plain & simple-NICE sucks.

It's insulting to think about.  $2.75 to cram yourself onto a 40 ton bus with 40 other people onboard just to go almost three times as slow as just about every other car moving by.  If you live along and only need one line, it's not that bad, but having to take one bus for almost 50 minutes just to transfer to another (like I had to do for almost 3 years) is just godawful.  There's no other word for it.

40 tons? lol

How many people actually take the bus to Briarcliffe? 

Here are comments from my Petition: http://www.petitions24.com/forum/143178

These are all from n81 riders. All comments are from 12 people speaking for their students/staff.

N81 bus is critical to Briarcliffe students in Bethpage. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This cutting of the bus/NICE bus route N81 would be a sad hardship on Briarcliffe College students, who are indeed focused on getting an education. Kindly reconsider...this important, relevant, necessary route. Anticipating a positive outcome. Thank you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is bad enough that lower-middle-class, disabled and poor students are often closed out of a better life because they can't afford higher education. But now they may get one step farther away, because even if they earn scholarships or get

financial aid to attend college, now they won't be able to get there.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

This will stop people from going to college!!!!!!!
How do you expect students to go to college? We can not afford to purchase a car, and now we can't get there because of the N81 service cut. The N81 may not be the biggest ridership, however, the only way we can get to our college is on this route. PLEASE, I BEG YOU NOT TO TERMINATE THIS LINE. IT WILL HURT MORE THAN YOU KNOW

The N81 is a critical line. Please re-consider this move as it will affect a large number of college students trying to get an education at Briarcliffe College on Stewart Avenue in Bethpage. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________      THIS IS OUR BETHPAGE STAFF AND STUDENTS ONLY SOURCE OF TRANSPORATION.

without this service many students at our local colleges have no way of commuting back and forth and it would entail a huge expense for them

I'm signing this petition because I'm an admissions advisor for Briarcliffe College and many of our students use the N80/N81 for transportation to get to classes.

Please do not cancel the N81!!!

Transfering from the Hempstead Turnpike line would be impossible, and then I would not be able to make it to my college which is on the Stewart Avenue N81 line. Then I would have to lose my ability to go to college.

PLEASE SAVE THE N81 BUS. CAN NOT GET TO COLLEGE WITH OUT IT

Please Keep the N81

I agree with my fellow workers and classmates of Briarcliffe College because it is the main bus line that passes Briarcliffe College  in either direction from Hicksville or Bethpage. Without the N81 service I can't complete my Bachelors in Marketing or be a federal work study for the school any longer. I'm not going to pay money for a taxi, because that can get expensive and students only have so much money on them, so I rather take the N81 to Briarcliffe College. We need to keep the N81 running or we can't finish our education at campus. Please keep this running.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Here are comments from my Petition: http://www.petitions24.com/forum/143178

These are all from n81 riders. All comments are from 12 people speaking for their students/staff.

Other then those riders needing it to get to College, did those 12 people say or share any other info. Say like how many riders rode the route while they were one, how many people they have seen riding the route when a bus has gone by them, or how many people from the college actually rides the bus.

I mean just because (at least) 12 people ride the bus and need it doesn't mean it should be kept. It makes no sence to keep a route that they aren't at least breaking even on. So unless they can prove that data that the route actually breaks even and does better then other routes, there is nothing they can do. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to keep a route just because 12 people need it/ use it.

What they should be doing is going to the college and asking them to provide some type of transportation to some spot where these people could have access to better transportation. Or if not see if the college would pay Nassau for the service.