Revamped Bleecker Street Station Upgrade Thread

R160

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE: The new transfer will be opening at 12 Noon Tuesday, not 10am. There are signs at the Bleecker St station and a few other stations along Lexington Ave letting people know that the transfer is opening that day and that they will be able to use the escalator and elevator with this transfer. We are getting closer and closer to history. being made!

I've learned that they often jump the gun on those official opening times. Dyckman St was supposed to reopen at 5AM on a Monday, but we were making stops there the Sunday evening before.

I remembet that and I was like "Really?" lol But yeah the (MTA) is good for starting things earlier than planned.

I wonder if 12 is just the tima of the “official” opening.

I think that's the case right there.

IMO, the reason why they did not name the complex, is that they intended to restore "original IRT feel" to the Bleeker St.

Unlike Jay st. this is harder to accomplish since the tiles at both stations indicate the current naming scheme, and if renamed having those "old" signs would be pretty damn confusing to some, unlike Lawrence St. which to this day has no tiling whatsoever.

But who knows, right?

A Vexing Flaw in the Subway Is Finally Fixed

jp-TRANSFER-articleLarge.jpg

Tina Fineberg for The New York Times

A new connection between the Broadway-Lafayette and Bleecker Street stations opens Tuesday.

For more than half a century, it has stood out as a singularly vexing flaw of the subway system, a glaring inequity that has frustrated generations of riders and has even puzzled transit officials, who have wondered how the situation ever came to be. MetroCard swipe.

But with the completion of a construction project of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority that included a platform extension and the installation of new elevators, the system’s only such incomplete transfer point has been made whole. “It’s the last kink,” said Peter Tashjian, 41, a No. 6 rider from the Upper East Side. “It’s like you’re smoothing out the wallpaper and the last little bubble is pressed out.”

The downtown transfer between the IRT and IND subway lines was built in 1957. In 2005, the authority approved a plan for the uptown one. Its opening, advertised months ago as early summer, has faced persistent delays.

Patience appears to have run out; at the station one afternoon last week, at least two signs announcing the transfer, papered over for now, had been partly uncovered, perhaps by curious travelers, who unwrapped them like Christmas gifts.

More on this article: http://www.nytimes.c...ml?ref=nyregion

Archived