Revamped Bleecker Street Station Upgrade Thread

R160

The contractors who took them down also messed up, cracking the "B" letters

and other tiles. Just like Columus Circle on the 1 line with the old ships.

They were like who cares.

I see most of the tile work on the passage way is done.

I willtake new pics, been out of the loop since Jan.

Seen some old cut off sections with old ads on the wall.

S/F,

CEYA!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it just about everytime I hear about some contractor, it's about them screwing up some job in some form or fashion... lol....

In any event, I don't remember the last time I took the Q to the 6 @ bleecker to get to work... I thought they were done with Bleecker.... then again, on street level, crossing Houston @ lafayette is a PITA over there.....

Or is this a new project they started construction with?

I'll post again but we need the latest pictures of the Bleecker St rehabilitation work and how the project is coming along.
Who is this "we" that you speak of? No one is asking for the latest pictures of the rehab work, except for you. Case in point:
Can someone on this site post up any latest pictures of the rehabilitation.

There is work being done, but the changes from the last photos aren't as big as some might expect. The biggest change since last time is that fake wall hiding extended northbound platform was taken down and there is some tile work being done on both platforms.

img20120312142540.jpg

img20120312142530.jpg

img20120312142455vce.jpg

Pardon the camera phone, I will post better photos after some substantial work progress.

Info I received recently - Just a heads up to look out for the revamped uptown side of Bleecker St. (6) to possibly open sometime early next week (tentative Monday?) - the open portion of the station platform will be moved back 300 feet and the north 300 feet (basically the old extension) closed, placing the Bleecker St. entrance closer to the front of the train and allowing transfer from the uptown (6) to the (;)(D)(F)(M) at Bway Lafayette without leaving fare control.

Work will probably continue beyond the opening date as the tilework still needs to be put back on the original platform.

Info I received recently - Just a heads up to look out for the revamped uptown side of Bleecker St. (6) to possibly open sometime early next week (tentative Monday?) - the open portion of the station platform will be moved back 300 feet and the north 300 feet (basically the old extension) closed, placing the Bleecker St. entrance closer to the front of the train and allowing transfer from the uptown (6) to the (;)(D)(F)(M) at Bway Lafayette without leaving fare control.

Work will probably continue beyond the opening date as the tilework still needs to be put back on the original platform.

That's great!

The transfer won't be ready until June.

As part of the project to build a free transfer between the uptown 6 train and the B, D, F and M Lines, the Bleecker Street platform on the 6 Line has moved south 300 feet!

BleeckerStPlatform.jpg

Actually, the platform hasn't moved, exactly. The existing platform was extended 300 feet south, and the extension opened Monday morning, March 26, at 5 a.m. At the same time, the northern 300 feet of the platform closed to the public.

The change is part of an overall project in which workers are rehabilitating the historic landmarked Bleecker Street station, building a free transfer, including an new escalator, that will connect the IND Broadway-Lafayette Street station on the B D F M Lines, and installing five elevators and other accessibility components to bring the entire complex into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines.

This $135 million project is scheduled for completion by the end of June 2012.

So, for the first time in most of our lives, we've just witnessed the abandonment of part of a platform. Doesn't sound like much but at least I can tell my chillren that there never used to be a transfer there.

• 2 months later...

They have the new exit open on the (6) level, though it appears from the 6 Avenue level that they are somewhat near finish. I bet this thing is going to open in July since the MTA is pretty much late on all their projects.

Hopefully when the in-system transfer opens to the public, the (MTA) should consider on renaming the 2 subway stations in 2 different station names. The new name for the Bleecker St (6) Station will be "Bleecker-Houston Sts" and for the Broadway-Lafayette St (B)(D)(F)(M) Station, it will be known as "Houston-Lafayette Sts"

Hopefully when the in-system transfer opens to the public, the (MTA) should consider on renaming the 2 subway stations in 2 different station names. The new name for the Bleecker St (6) Station will be "Bleecker-Houston Sts" and for the Broadway-Lafayette St (B)(D)(F)(M) Station, it will be known as "Houston-Lafayette Sts"

If we're going to have two separate names anyway, why don't we stick with the current ones that everybody's used to?

Guest Lance

Yeah, if they're going to change the name, it's going to be something consistent across the board, ala Jay St-MetroTech or Court Sq (-23 St).

Archived