Revamped Bleecker Street Station Upgrade Thread

R160

It was supposed to open in November 2011 then got pushed to early January 2012, but according to a classmate who uses Bleecker Street as his home station, he says that it looks like they still have a lot of work to day.

Does anyone know why it's taking so much longer than anticipated (other than the normal reasons for delays). Also, does anyone know of a new date for the opening between the (6) and (cool.png(D)(F)(M)?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was supposed to open in November 2011 then got pushed to early January 2012, but according to a classmate who uses Bleecker Street as his home station, he says that it looks like they still have a lot of work to day.

Does anyone know why it's taking so much longer than anticipated (other than the normal reasons for delays). Also, does anyone know of a new date for the opening between the (6) and (;)(D)(F)(M)?

It's suppose to open somewhere along 2012, and the reason why it is taking so long is the Bleecker Street Station platforms are offset. They need to extend the northbound platform south and everything. That is why it is taking so long.

Here is the article.

MTA to connect uptown IRT to the rest of the Bleecker St./Broadway-Lafayette St. station :: Second Ave. Sagas

Diagram of completed transfer.

Bleecker07w.jpg

The north platform southward extension has been done for a long while. most of the current work has been on the rebuilt east mezzanine and connecting that mezzanine to the IND, at least in my impression from infrequent but consistent usage.

I was there today, and the NB platform is halfway done. The basic platform extension is done, but they need to add lights, finish and all that jazz in between before its done.

Have they or are they going to 'push back' the walls on the southbound platform? I never liked walking along side it because it was just too narrow and so many people on it going the opposite direction. It doesn't help that (6) service is also fairly frequent compared to say the (1)(2) lines -from my experience.*

Second Avenue Sagas mentioned that they (MTA) would work on the southbound platform of Bleecker Street to make it better.

Somehow, I see the MTA converting that space of that platform into some storage room or such. I don't think they'll need that space now that they're extending it south.

Second Avenue Sagas mentioned that they (MTA) would work on the southbound platform of Bleecker Street to make it better.

I sure hope so, that platform is just too narrow.

It's suppose to open somewhere along 2012, and the reason why it is taking so long is the Bleecker Street Station platforms are offset. They need to extend the northbound platform south and everything. That is why it is taking so long.

Here is the article.

MTA to connect uptown IRT to the rest of the Bleecker St./Broadway-Lafayette St. station :: Second Ave. Sagas

Diagram of completed transfer.

Bleecker07w.jpg

My point exactly, I'm just asking if they were to create a corridor passageway that would connect between the unused mezzanine and the south end of the uptown platform, because it would not seem right to be moving the platform down to match the downtown platform. Even if they did that, the Spring and Bleecker Sts' uptown platforms would almost be too close to each other. If you all don't believe me, check out the Google Maps, grab a few pieces of paper, and try to draw out a track map of the (:((D)(F)(M)(6) trains at the Broadway-Lafayette/Bleecker Sts Transfer Station with the Spring St Station in it. Maybe by now the (MTA) would try to consider that idea and push the completion date for another 2 to 3 and 3/4 years.

If its close, its close. Just deal with it. Bowling Green and Wall St are close, so are Cortelyou and Beverly. And yes, for all intents and purposes, the uptown and downtown platforms will match. They are still working on that mezzanine and elevators to get from the IND to the uptown platform, but the platform is generally finished, just laying down concrete and the wall/tile.

Come to think of it… what are the scenarios in which this connection would be useful?

Coming from the (F) (from Brooklyn) to the Lexington Avenue Line it would definitely help.

You can connect from the (;)(D) to the (4)(5) at Atlantic Avenue, but then you have to transfer again to reach a local station so it would help in that scenario as well.

And of course, more options doesn't hurt (say, if there is a problem with the (J), somebody could take the (6) to Bleecker Street for the (M), assuming the problem is west of Essex Street)

So now it probably a June '12 opening at the earliest. Intresting. Typical (MTA) project that almost always runs late.:eek:

Listen. when you start messing around underneath the streets of NEw York, you run into all sorts of problems you did not expect. They mention an issue with moving a water main, and I am sure there was a lot more than that. Just think of all the wires, cable, tunnels, water pipes, steam pipes, sewage pipes, etc, that are lurking down there on top of old, historical foundations,

Once upon a time back in 2005, the MTA announced an unfunded plan to move the uptown 6 platform at Bleecker Street south a few hundred feet, connect it to the IND station at Broadway-Lafayette and make the entire station ADA-accessible all for the cost of a cool $50 million. By the time money materialized for the project in 2007, costs had reached $60 million, and and in 2009, the MTA said the $94 million station rehab would wrap in November of 2011. November has come and gone with many signs of construction but none of the new transfer in place, and many straphangers have been wondering what exactly is happening there.

We now have an update and a revised overall price tag. According to MTA documents from the last board meeting, work is set to wrap at Bleecker St./Broadway-Lafayette by the end of this June, and the combined price tag for the entire project is now over $109 million. The price estimates come from the MTA’s capital dashboard (1 and 2). The increase — from $50 million in 2005 to $109 million in 2012 — isn’t as bad as it seems as the earlier figures were rough estimates based on conditions before any design or engineering work has begun. Still, this project is massively over budge and will be seven or eight months late.

The current delay is only three months. At some point within the last two years, the MTA had pushed back the expected completion date to March 2012. Now we’ll wait until June because the MTA has found that contingencies related to ADA accessibility have been expended. The work to relocate tunnel lighting equipment necessary for placement of the elevator has been slower and more expensive than anticipated. Furthermore, contractors ran into problems relocating a water main at Houston St. as well.

And so we wait. We’ve waited decades for this transfer to become a reality. Now we’ll wait some more. What’s three more months among friends anyway? After all, where would be if it didn’t take nearly as long to rehab one of the original IRT stations as it took to build an entire subway line from City Hall to 145th Street?

source: Bleecker St. rehab now set for June completion date :: Second Ave. Sagas

• 3 weeks later...
Listen. when you start messing around underneath the streets of NEw York, you run into all sorts of problems you did not expect. They mention an issue with moving a water main, and I am sure there was a lot more than that. Just think of all the wires, cable, tunnels, water pipes, steam pipes, sewage pipes, etc, that are lurking down there on top of old, historical foundations,

i tweeted to the (MTA) and they said there is no announcements on it.

My father's preservation firm was working with a contractor to restore the tile work but I think they've quit. He said they had no faith in the contractor to do the work. Basically every time the contractor would put up tile they'd screw it up and have to redo the whole thing. That would add to the delay :P

My father's preservation firm was working with a contractor to restore the tile work but I think they've quit. He said they had no faith in the contractor to do the work. Basically every time the contractor would put up tile they'd screw it up and have to redo the whole thing. That would add to the delay :)

what ur saying they made mistakes in construction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Archived