LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

cleardot.gifSelect Languagecleardot.gifcleardot.gif

LIRR Suspending Service Because of Snow Storm

The LIRR plans to suspend service at approximately at 11 PM this evening.  Departure times for the final trains expected to operate on the LIRR tonight are listed below. Customers are urged not to wait until the last train, but to consider leaving earlier.

Eastbound:

Far Rockaway 

The 10:10 p.m. train from Atlantic Terminal due Far Rockaway at 11:07 p.m.

Oyster Bay 

The 10:11p.m. train from Jamaica due Oyster Bay at 11:04 p.m.

Patchogue 

The 10:36 p.m. train from Babylon to Patchogue at 11:06 p.m.

Hempstead 

The 10:36 p.m. train from Atlantic Terminal due Hempstead at 11:28 p.m.

Port Washington 

The 10:48 p.m. train from Penn due Port Washington at 11;34 p.m.

Long Beach  

The 10:52 p.m. train from Penn due Long Beach at 11:46 p.m.

Huntington 

The 11:04 p.m. train from Penn due Huntington at 12:10 p.m.

Babylon 

The 11:08 p.m. train from Penn due Babylon at 12:27 a.m.

Ronkonkoma 

The 11:14 p.m. train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 12:37 a.m.

Port Jefferson 

The 11:31 p.m. train from Hicksville due Port Jefferson at 12:35 a.m.

West Hempstead 

The 10:37 train from West Hempstead due Valley Stream at 1`0:52 p.m.; connecting with the Far Rockaway train at Valley Stream due Atlantic Termins at 11:32 p.m.    

Westbound

Montauk Branch from Speonk

The 9:07 p.m. train from Speonk due Jamaica at 10:48 p.m.

Oyster Bay

The 9:23 p.m. train from Oyster Bay due Jamaica at 10:18 p.m.

Far Rockaway

The 9:29 p.m. train from Far Rockaway due Atlantic Terminal at 10:26 p.m.

Greenport

The 9:39 p.m. train from Greenport due Ronkonkoma at 11:02 p.m.

Port Jefferson

The 9:41 p.m. train from Port Jefferson due Hicksville at 10:46 p.m.

Long Beach

The 9:53 p.m. train from Long Beach due Penn at 10:44 p.m.

Hempstead

The 9:56 p.m. train from Hempstead due Atlantic Terminal at 10:48 p.m.

Huntington:

The 10:03 p.m. train from Huntington due Penn at 11:09 p.m.

Port Washington

The 10:09 p.m. train from Port Washington due Penn at 10:52 p.m.

Babylon

The 10:14 p.m. train from Babylon due Penn at 11:27 p.m.

Ronkonkoma

The 11:08 p.m. train from Ronkonkoma due Penn at 12:35 p.m.

West Hempstead

The 11: 15 p.m. from Valley Stream due West Hempstead at 11:31 p.m.

LIRR station waiting rooms will remain open around-the-clock now through Friday afternoon, January 30, to provide shelter for customers waiting for trains during cold and inclement weather.  Platforms and stairways will continue to be cleared and salted.

Extra engineers and signal maintainers are being called in. LIRR is taking steps to ensure that switches – the interlocking tracks that allow rail traffic controllers to route trains from one track to another – are working throughout the storm. The railroad is activating switch heaters, lubricating the switches, and treating them with anti-freeze agents. Rail Traffic Controllers will activate the switches to keep them from freezing shut. In addition, track workers will be positioned in critical locations to be able to respond if any difficulties do crop up at switches.

Snow-fighting equipment will be positioned strategically throughout the systems to start when snow accumulation begins.

Railroad customers with smartphones can use the LIRR Train Time App for real-time train information

Juno.jpg?itok=Jucrmv0Q
LIRR employees clear the platform at Massapequa.

Metro-North Announces Service Suspension

As Winter Storm Juno buffets the region, Metro-North Railroad's last trains on all lines will depart beginning at 9 PM before the railroad suspends service at 11 PM. This will allow customers to safely reach their final destinations, either northbound or southbound before the worst of the storm reaches the area.

Metro-North urges its customers not wait until the last train to get home.  Customers needing to travel are encouraged to do so as soon as possible and not wait until the last minute. Customers should expect crowded conditions.

The Hudson Rail Link, Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry, and Newburgh Beacon Ferry will also be suspended.

Grand Central Terminal will close to the public at midnight until further notice.

For full schedule information, please visit our schedules page or use the Metro-North Train Time app.

The following is a list of the last trains that will operate before the system-wide suspension:

NEW HAVEN LINE

Outbound

• The last train to New Haven will depart Grand Central at 9:39 p.m., making all stops from Fordham to New Haven.
  • New Canaan Branch: The last train to New Canaan will depart GCT at 9:06 p.m. and connect at Stamford at 9:53 p.m.
  • Danbury Branch: The last train to Danbury will depart Grand Central at 9:39 p.m., and connect at South Norwalk at 11:16 PM.

Waterbury Branch: The last train to Waterbury will depart Grand Central at 6:53 p.m., and connect at Bridgeport at 8:31 PM.

Inbound

• The last inbound train from New Haven will depart at 8:47 p.m.
  • The last inbound train from Stamford will depart at 10:04 p.m.
  • The last inbound train from New Canaan to New York will depart at 10:28 PM, and terminates at Stamford with no connection to New York.
    • One additional train will depart New Canaan at 9:28 PM, operating only to Stamford, with no connections to points between Stamford and New York.
  • The last train from Danbury will depart at 9:27 p.m., and terminates at Stamford with no connection to New York.
  • The last train from Waterbury will depart at 9:58 p.m. This train will make all stops from Bridgeport to Stamford. No connection to will be available to Grand Central Terminal or any stations between Stamford and New York.

Please be advised Connecticut Governor Malloy has ordered a travel ban for all Connecticut roads beginning at 9:00 p.m. tonight. Customers should act accordingly.

HARLEM LINE

Outbound

• The last train to North White Plains will depart GCT at 9:25 p.m.
  • The last train to Southeast will depart GCT at 9:52 p.m.
  • The last train to Wassaic will depart GCT at 8:52 p.m.

Inbound

• The last inbound train from Southeast will depart at 10:15 p.m. and will make all local stops from North White Plains to GCT.
  • The last inbound train from Wassaic with a connection to New York will depart at 9:30 PM.
    • One additional train will depart Wassaic at 11:28 p.m., operating only to Southeast station, with no connection to points between Southeast and New York.

HUDSON LINE

Outbound

• The last train to Poughkeepsie will depart GCT at 9:20 p.m. and make all local stops from Yankees-East 153rd to Poughkeepsie.

Inbound

• The last inbound train from Poughkeepsie will depart at 8:54 p.m.
  • The last inbound train from Croton-Harmon will depart at 10:00 p.m.

WEST OF HUDSON

New Jersey Transit will stop departures from terminals at 8 p.m. in time for a 10 p.m. shutdown.No trains will operate until at least 3 a.m. Thursday.

Customers should visit www.njtransit.com for service status information.

Suspending service ensures trains do not get stuck along the right-of-way, leaving you stranded, and making our recovery efforts extremely challenging.
Temporary suspensions allow us to shelter our fleet during the worst of the storm, and permit our employees to make maximum use of snow removal equipment to clear drifting snow and ice from our tracks, switches and train yards. They also allow us to remove any fallen trees and power lines blocking tracks. Also, employees can check signals, switches and power systems, which have to be operational before patrol trains can operate to ensure that the right-of-way is safe before resuming service.

Remember: Our first priority in any decision we make on service is your safety and comfort. Sometimes suspending service is the best way to meet that goal. A service suspension does not mean that power will be off to the third rail or overhead catenary wires on the New Haven Line. All tracks and wires will remain energized.Metro-North will provide information around the clock.  Please monitor this website and email alerts, or call 511 (outside New York State, call toll free 877-690-5114), and follow local media reports for the latest service updates.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the lifting of the travel ban, all nine MTA Bridge & Tunnel facilities are now open to passenger vehicular traffic.

Service remains suspended on MTA Long Island Rail Road, MTA Metro-North Railroad, MTA NYC Transit Bus and Subway Service -- including Staten Island Railway (SIR).  Assessments on the bus, rail and subway network are being performed. 

Source: http://alert.mta.info

LIRR ticket between Atlantic & Jamaica/ good for peak hours

Price:US $9.00 Buy It Now
   Add to cart
Best Offer:  Make Offer
   Add to watch list
Add to collection

Who does this?
Selling LIRR tickets on ebay?

Interesting. Can Atlantic Terminal handle double decker cars as well?

No.

Question about the ConnDOT Bombardier push pull cars: Why did they remove the Metro North decals and use Shore Line East style graphics instead?

Because they are owned by the Connecticut Department of Transportation.  They made a half-heated effort to consolidate their two rail services under a more unified "Connecticut Commuter Rail" banner a while back.

What does it mean when I hear the conductor tell the crew "two apiece - Hicksville collectors in cars X and Y" over the speakers?  This was on a Port Jeff train headed west.

I also hear split is a, b, and c #cars a piece on some trains. Wondering what that means

If there's a conductor, an assistant conductor, and two collectors on the train (i..e 4 total crew members), then they will each lift tickets from a certain number of cars.  That's announced if collectors board or alight along the way so nobody tries to lift tickets through a car twice.

Yeah, I actually downloaded it to play around with it, even though I'll never have an actual use for it. In my opinion, it's the best of the MTA-created apps. It has a nice, fluid design, even over its Metro-North counterpart. My favorite part has to be the departure/arrival board that's available for every station with track information. It's a shame in my opinion that the MN app doesn't have something like readily available.

I don't mention much about my LIRR commute, but here's one.... Today, with this broken rails bit....

I got on my 6:02am out of ENY this morning, that arrived on track 6 (instead of 7) at JAM (jamaica)... Because there was a 5:14 (according to the board) that was sitting there on track 8 (where the 6:12 to Huntington normally arrives on).... Track 7 is where the Huntington train ended up arriving on....

normally:

-nothing on track 6

-west hempstead (out of atlantic terminal) train on track 7

-huntington (out of penn) on track 8

today:

-west hempstead (out of atlantic terminal) train on track 6

-huntington (out of penn) on track 7

-????? on track 8 (don't know what train arrives at JAM at 5:14); the earliest I get to JAM is when I take the first train out of atlantic term (the 5:12)... that gets to JAM around 5:30

....But yeah, Had one of the c/r's on the Brooklyn train not mention a broken track at Westbury, I would have never known wtf was going on this morning.... Had people walking around like chickens with their heads cut off; the communication at Jamaica was non-existant; when it's usually on-point.....

There was a train on track 4 that was signed as running to (ending at) Mineola.... I'm assuming that was that Farmingdale that arrives like 10 mins after the Mineola train I get off.... I was thinking about running to catch that train, but thought better of it (f*** it, I didn't feel like running up/down steps), and just waited on the track 6/7 platform.... The Huntington train ended up arriving, making an extra stop at hillside.....

I would have been absolutely livid had that Mineola train on track 4 left before the Huntington train on track 7 (the train I ended up on) did.....

As for that mystery train on track 8, shit went OOS....

Edited by B35 via Church

• 3 weeks later...

Five broken rails.  (Westbury, Babylon, Bay Shore, Great Neck, and Westbury). 

Which is ridiculous.  You would think it never got cold here before...

It's apparently the coldest February on record in the city since the 1930s, so it's not particularly ridiculous.

It's apparently the coldest February on record in the city since the 1930s, so it's not particularly ridiculous.

Was it only the coldest February on Long Island and warm and tropical in the Hudson Valley, New Jersey, Boston, and Chicago?  Last time I checked, the weather outside in Metro-North and NJTransit territory was remarkably similar to the weather that LIRR trains have to operate through, and neither of those railroads have come anywhere close to having 17 broken rails so far in 2015...

Was it only the coldest February on Long Island and warm and tropical in the Hudson Valley, New Jersey, Boston, and Chicago?  Last time I checked, the weather outside in Metro-North and NJTransit territory was remarkably similar to the weather that LIRR trains have to operate through, and neither of those railroads have come anywhere close to having 17 broken rails so far in 2015...

I would say usage also plays a huge part in the broken rails as well with the cold. None of the territory you mention system is as busy as the LIRR as far as round the clock trains running.

I would say usage also plays a huge part in the broken rails as well with the cold. None of the territory you mention system is as busy as the LIRR as far as round the clock trains running.

Usage is something that can (and should) be taken into account in the design process, so that's not really an excuse.  Nevertheless, I don't believe that's universally the case.  There are segments of track (like between New York, Secaucus, and Newark on NJT or between Grand Central, Mott Haven, and Wakefield on Metro-North) that likely see a greater number of trains pass over their tracks over the course of a day, and they manage to do that without experiencing a large number of broken rails.

Additionally, several of the locations where some of the seventeen broken rails have occurred (Greenlawn, Central Islip, Central Islip, Islip, Bay Shore, Central Islip) don't see an incredible amount of trains over the course of the day, and certainly a lot less than some of the busier segments on Metro-North and NJT...

Usage is something that can (and should) be taken into account in the design process, so that's not really an excuse.  Nevertheless, I don't believe that's universally the case.  There are segments of track (like between New York, Secaucus, and Newark on NJT or between Grand Central, Mott Haven, and Wakefield on Metro-North) that likely see a greater number of trains pass over their tracks over the course of a day, and they manage to do that without experiencing a large number of broken rails.

Additionally, several of the locations where some of the seventeen broken rails have occurred (Greenlawn, Central Islip, Central Islip, Islip, Bay Shore, Central Islip) don't see an incredible amount of trains over the course of the day, and certainly a lot less than some of the busier segments on Metro-North and NJT...

Design process? Are you talking about the layout ? Their course of the day is nowhere near compared to AM, PM and also add off peak hours capacity to which the LIRR runs. I wasn't giving an excuse just some factors. What are you actually insisting here that the broken rails are "not" happening? I've seen some tracks buckle and break myself and its dangerous. What do you want? The trains to continue to go along over the broken rails as if nothing happened. Broken rails do happened in other systems as well . And with MNR problems lately , don't assume just because it isn't reported. I know a few MNR workers and they going through some things between workers, management and FRA. You would be surprised of the amount of MNR workers trying to jump ship and attending LIRR open houses for employment.

LIRR42 I know you have a personal gripe with LIRR especially the workers from the other forum.But you have to believe safety is first in any course of operation. I'm not here defending all LIRR foul ups because management make moves during daily operations that make their own employees shake their head. Alot of text book managers now no more experienced RR which is trying to be phased out. Believe they make alot of decisions I don't agree and I feel for the commuters alot . But broken rails is not something to be played around with or even taken lightly. Alot of us don't like when disruptions happened but an instance like broken rails , they rather see disruptions instead of an mass disaster.

I need spell check here because I don't understand the above post.

Face it... The LIRR is a glorified subway...  :D  :lol: