Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

I think what people understood then and NOW is transportation has a profound impact on how neighborhoods are shaped.  For years, housing has been cheaper in Yorkville because of a lack of subway access and the distance to get to the (4)(5)(6) line.  We will see a serious transformation of Yorkville as a result of this extension of the (Q) line.  They are already predicting rents to go up as much as $500.00 a month in some cases.

Yeah, you have a point there. Definitely going to price some folks out.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you have a point there. Definitely going to price some folks out.

One of colleagues is a perfect example.  She apparently has used the (Q) or heard about it and was raving how she would be able to go shopping now on the West Side.  At the same time she complains endlessly about how much she pays for her apartment each year.  :lol:

With the opening of the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway, Mayor DeBlasio has no excuse not to use the subway to get where he needs to go from Gracie Mansion.

That's still three long blocks away. That's farther than second ave people had to walk to get to Lex, and about equal to 1st ave walkers. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/01/03/2nd-ave-subway-first-regular-rush-hour/

And while many are impressed, for the cost, there are some whod like to see further improvements.

I would like it to connect not just to the Lexington Avenue line, but connect to the 1 line, said Upper East Side resident Michael Zorek.

No one told him there is a connection at Times Square?

No one told him there is a connection at Times Square?

He's apparently talking about it connecting at 125th street.  There needs to be more focus on Crosstown connections because there are a lot of people backtracking to avoid dealing with traveling crosstown in Upper Manhattan, which can be a royal pain.  Hilly and/or crappy bus service.  125th has a ton of buses that can be useless, and getting from say Lex to the (1) is no easy task.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

A 68 (N) went up to 96 St. Feel grateful to have caught it.

Just saw that. Where you the guy with the camera?

One of colleagues is a perfect example.  She apparently has used the (Q) or heard about it and was raving how she would be able to go shopping now on the West Side.  At the same time she complains endlessly about how much she pays for her apartment each year.  :lol:

Haha.Can't have it both ways people seem happy about the line overall I just came from a meeting on 86th. 72nd was packed on the way down.

I had a chance to ride the (Q) to 96th today and I have to say it's sweet having a new line on the Eastside. However coming from Queens the only benefit for me is now being able to transfer across platform to and from the (Q) and (F) at Lexington 63rd. I say this line is a complete successful because even on the 4th day it exist it is seeing nice loads the only thing the MTA needs to fix is the glitchy announcements and get rid of via the 2nd Ave line. It makes it seem like the (Q) isn't suppose to be on 2nd Ave when that isn't the case. I hope they start the 2nd Phase soon because I'm sure the (6) will see a noticeable change in loads.

I had a chance to ride the (Q) to 96th today and I have to say it's sweet having a new line on the Eastside. However coming from Queens the only benefit for me is now being able to transfer across platform to and from the (Q) and (F) at Lexington 63rd. I say this line is a complete successful because even on the 4th day it exist it is seeing nice loads the only thing the MTA needs to fix is the glitchy announcements and get rid of via the 2nd Ave line. It makes it seem like the (Q) isn't suppose to be on 2nd Ave when that isn't the case. I hope they start the 2nd Phase soon because I'm sure the (6) will see a noticeable change in loads.

"Is a complete successful"? Please use proper grammar.

There was switch delays incident earlier at South Ferry and an investigation at Lexington 59th street which caused (N) trains to run via 2nd Ave and the (R) via 63rd street. The (W) was completely messed up. Edited by NewFlyer 230

And there were switch delays earlier and an investigation at Lexington 59th street which caused (N) trains to run via 2nd Ave and the (R) via 63rd street. The (W) was completely messed up.

63rd street was busy today. During the investigation at Lexington Ave/59th street, there was an investigation at Queens Plaza which had (E) and (M) trains go via 63rd Street. I saw the (R) running on 6th Ave in both directions, probably to mitigate 63rd street switch delays, and to segregate the 2nd Ave (N)(Q) conga delays.

He's apparently talking about it connecting at 125th street.  There needs to be more focus on Crosstown connections because there are a lot of people backtracking to avoid dealing with traveling crosstown in Upper Manhattan, which can be a royal pain.  Hilly and/or crappy bus service.  125th has a ton of buses that can be useless, and getting from say Lex to the (1) is no easy task.  

The Bus lanes help a lot, I use the M60 on 125th st frequently.

Came back to the city for a week and got the chance to take an (N) to 96 St during the clusterf*ck today as well. It was signed up as an (N) but the C/R changed it to a (Q) at 57 St-7 Av

When I came home I got on a train that was signed up as a (Q) but was reassigned as an (N) before departing 96 

I don't really understand the point of the full length mezzanine. Seems like a big waste of money if you ask me

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

I don't really understand the point of the full length mezzanine. Seems like a big waste of money if you ask me

From my observation, people could leave the platform anywhere right after they leave the train. That makes the platform less crowded.

Came back to the city for a week and got the chance to take an (N) to 96 St during the clusterf*ck today as well. It was signed up as an (N) but the C/R changed it to a (Q) at 57 St-7 Av

When I came home I got on a train that was signed up as a (Q) but was reassigned as an (N) before departing 96

These newer ones ain't as bad as the original IND ones. The IND ones are really long and are empty. However I praise the IND for being smart enough for allow access to pretty much the entire platform and for both directions. It's silly how at many IRT and BMT stations there is no access to the other platform unless it's a major station.

Any reason why they cant just build a connection thru a walkway? I believe its the only OOS transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Because it's 3 blocks. None of the other OOS transfers were that far. The Court Square transfer worked because the (7) platform is directly above the (E)(G)(M) platforms. Also, the current transfer isn't too pretty as it is- no easy way to work a passageway in there. With the new 3rd Avenue exit at Lex/63, it's a 3 block walk from any of the BMT exits to the (F)(Q).

Because it's 3 blocks. None of the other OOS transfers were that far. The Court Square transfer worked because the (7) platform is directly above the (E)(G)(M) platforms. Also, the current transfer isn't too pretty as it is- no easy way to work a passageway in there. With the new 3rd Avenue exit at Lex/63, it's a 3 block walk from any of the BMT exits to the (F)(Q).

what about 42st - 8ave to 42st - Broadway. It is more than an avenue  

What about the space did you feel was or is wasted?

Prior to the renovation, there was an absolutely massive cavern designed to house several banks of escalators. Now that only four elevators connect the station to Third Avenue, what will become of the remainder of that cavern? That's a ton of space!

Man, we all spotted the unicorn this afternoon. What are the odds? Right place right time!

458bHz7.jpg

omcZIiP.jpg