Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

If anything I would add more service to the M2, M5 and M7. All three buses run like GARBAGE. M2s and M5s always come in packs of 2 and the M7 as well. Oh I would also find a way to re-route the M7 back to Union Square where it belongs.

whenever I take the M7 it comes in twos but it always comes before the M20....

If it went to Union Sq tho, wouldn't it just increase traffic in that area, there is always a lot of traffic there, I feel bad for B/Os and other people who drive through it....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything I would add more service to the M2, M5 and M7. All three buses run like GARBAGE. M2s and M5s always come in packs of 2 and the M7 as well. Oh I would also find a way to re-route the M7 back to Union Square where it belongs.

Well, you can blame the traffic on that.

Well, you can blame the traffic on that.

I would for the M7, and M5, but the M2 runs horribly compared to the other 5 Av buses and it is supposed to LIMITED stops... Yesterday for example... About 4 Q32s, two M4s, one M1 and one M3 all came before any M2s came. Then two came and of course of M5s came.

whenever I take the M7 it comes in twos but it always comes before the M20....

If it went to Union Sq tho, wouldn't it just increase traffic in that area, there is always a lot of traffic there, I feel bad for B/Os and other people who drive through it....

I suppose that was the reason it was cut back to its current terminal, but it just ends in the middle of nowhere IMO. In other words it ends in a spot where most would say I wish it ended in Union Square so I don't have to schlepp two long blocks or transfer if I don't feel like walking, which was the case with me yesterday with the humidity. I still don't like the fact that just about all buses that went to Union Square were moved elsewhere (M1 and M7). For rerouting, the M7 could simply take the M6s old rerouting from 7th up to 23rd, left on 23rd down to Park Av South, right on Park Av South and straight from there to Union Square.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I would for the M7, and M5, but the M2 runs horribly compared to the other 5 Av buses and it is supposed to LIMITED stops... Yesterday for example... About 4 Q32s, two M4s, one M1 and one M3 all came before any M2s came. Then two came and of course of M5s came.

I suppose that was the reason it was cut back to its current terminal, but it just ends in the middle of nowhere IMO. In other words it ends in a spot where most would say I wish it ended in Union Square so I don't have to schlepp two long blocks or transfer if I don't feel like walking, which was the case with me yesterday with the humidity. I still don't like the fact that just about all buses that went to Union Square were moved elsewhere (M1 and M7). For rerouting, the M7 could simply take the M6s old rerouting from 7th up to 23rd, left on 23rd down to Park Av South, right on Park Av South and straight from there to Union Square.

When I go to Union Square (the time of day varies) but I recall always seeing M2s :huh:

If those people can't walk two blocks then wow.....

where would it go OOS, it can't do that along 14th street, it would have to go down broadway to 12th, then go down 12th to 4 av then take 4 av up ? 4 av turns into park ave after 14th

He really wants to kill off the 20......

Killing off the M20 would be a terrible idea. While that route doesn't run well, it's the only one to serve Battery Park City and South Ferry via Tribeca and West Village. It's a lifeline for the West Side riders, and the MTA can't afford any more anguish from them now. Edited by RTS CNG Command

When I go to Union Square (the time of day varies) but I recall always seeing M2s :huh:

If those people can't walk two blocks then wow.....

where would it go OOS, it can't do that along 14th street, it would have to go down broadway to 12th, then go down 12th to 4 av then take 4 av up ? 4 av turns into park ave after 14th

There are times when it is nice to not have to walk in the heat or cold and stay on the bus, that's the point and Union Square is a main connector for various folks so there should be more than the M14 serving it. The M7 should go back there. It would simply deadhead back to 6th & 14th and start where it currently starts. It could use 13th up to 6th and come around that way.

Killing off the M20 would be a terrible idea. While that route doesn't run well, it's the only one to serve Battery Park City and South Ferry via Tribeca and West Village. It's a lifeline for the West Side riders, and the MTA can't afford any more anguish from them now.

you do realize every M20 I've seen carries less than 10 ppl that line is shunned all those ppl who miss M20 would simply demand M22 to extend to battery park city. The (1) is so frequent that if M22 were extended to south ferry via battery park city then the little ridership M20 has would dissappear it would become useless. Why wait in hot weather 30 mins for a slow ass bus when (1) runs every 5 mins and chances of meeting M22 are high? It's a very easy line to replace.

ok you are right on M5&2 BUT seriously M7 who needs more buses At union sq? Most ppl going to union sq ARE NOT thinking about buses period unless it's an SI express or the X28/27. Local M buses other than M14 are an afterthought the subway goes there.

Possible M7 extention via East Village:

https://maps.google.....009414,0.01929

If you're gonna send it across 8th, why not send it up University? That street's been missing service ever since the M1 and M3 got cut there. If you made the last stop say 12th and University, that'd be actually a very nice service change. The current last stop on the M7 doesn't make much sense.

A couple of things

1. 14 street will be a place where traffic is a problem

2. All the M8 needs is weekend service,that's all

3.I don't like that U-Turn on 15th Street

If you're gonna send it across 8th, why not send it up University? That street's been missing service ever since the M1 and M3 got cut there. If you made the last stop say 12th and University, that'd be actually a very nice service change. The current last stop on the M7 doesn't make much sense.

Like this?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c4e51b4e76a435927&msa=0&ll=40.734381,-73.993027&spn=0.009414,0.01929

A couple of things

1. 14 street will be a place where traffic is a problem

2. All the M8 needs is weekend service,that's all

3.I don't like that U-Turn on 15th Street

1. Route's been changed.

2. It's not supplementing the M8.

3. That was a glich, route has been changed.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also make the M9 go back to Union Square like it did years ago.

Bringing the M9 back Union Square would not be a good idea. If you did it students who attend the Salk School of Science, and the people who are coming out Bellevue would lose a viable transportation option. They make up a good portion of the M9 ridership so it would be best to keep the current northern terminal. Additionally IIRC many people did not board the M9 at Union Square.

No, Avenue C needs the service more than any 14th Street. The current M9 plan for Battery Park-Bellevue is fine.

And you know this how? I've lived in the area and I've definitely seen people hop on more M14Ds than M9s.....The M9 is not even a hotspot along Avenue C for the most part, people get that M14D.....

Though yeah, the M9 doesnt need to go back to Union Square.

Additionally IIRC many people did not board the M9 at Union Square.

On the contrary, the first two stops garnered a LOT of riders! The M9 was the supplement of the M14A at the time.

Edited by Cait Sith

lol... yeah, the M9's bread & butter is along houston & points south.... Av C. itself isn't a big draw; it's used as an avenue (pun unintended) to get to the area around {peter cooper, VA hosp, etc. [& points north / west as well]} or {points south of houston}.....

There's no need to revert the M9 to union sq.; the 14d is more than sufficient..... let the 14 a/d take care of business along 14th st...

On the contrary, the first two stops garnered a LOT of riders! The M9 was the supplement of the M14A at the time.

Yep, I used to get that bus from there a whole lot and occasionally I'd even take the M9 instead of the M14 if I had a transfer along 14th. Union Square was not an awful place for the bus, I think Bellevue should be served by the M34.