MTA, Union, straphangers bash platform jumpers

mark1447

A pair of Jason Bourne wannabes who jumped over a subway platform in Brooklyn left New Yorkers and officials far from entertained.

A video was uploaded to YouTube on Sunday showing a pair of unidentified men jumping over the nearly 11-foot gap between two platforms at the 9th Avenue D-train stop in Brooklyn.

Although the 40-second clip had more than 7,000 hits by press time, straphangers said they were furious someone would promote such a dangerous stunt.

Gene Russianoff, of the Straphangers Campaign, said he has seen hundreds of stories of people playing around in subway stations, but this one was by far the worst.

Although both men jumped when there were no trains approaching, there still were big risks, including a 600-volt shock from the tracks, Russianoff said.

The YouTube user who posted the video did not return messages for comment before press time.

Russianoff added that stunts like this harm riders and transit workers when their acrobatics go wrong.

Transport Workers Union spokesman Jim Gannon, who called the YouTube jumpers "jackasses," agreed.

"It's also a terrible thing for train crews to live with if one of the teens falls under the wheels and gets cut to pieces," he said.

The NYPD said it is not investigating the jumpers, but warned that jumping platforms can lead to a citation and, if done repeatedly, a misdemeanor charge.

The MTA, which also criticized the daredevils, said trains have struck 29 people so far this year. The agency said it cannot determine how many of those injuries were related to people playing around on the track.

Kevin Ortiz, the agency's spokesman, said the MTA has been pushing an advertising campaign warning people to be wary of the dangers of subway station.

"However, the campaign does not address this type of idiocy," he said.

Ortiz said the agency hopes other thrill seekers don't aim to copy this stunt, but extreme-sports experts say this won't be the case.

Source: http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/mta-union-straphangers-bash-platform-jumpers-1.3776114

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cZD2pkRwErE

I think about doing that, but I would never do it, unless it was an abandoned station. Someone already did it better a while back, though. They flipped over the tracks to the other side. It looked way cooler. I also think about how painful it would be to come up short on a stunt like that.

what a moron they are!! also you can see both of these guys would have more serious injuries. the first guy look like he jump good but almost rolled over to the other track. the second guy did not do to well with his jumping. i hope somebody recognize them and SAY SOMETHING!

They finished 9th Ave? Looks nice. I miss my B Division...

Oh yeah... those guys... ya can't wager against stupidity... nobody breaks the bottomless bank of stupidity's pockets.

It's not done yet. I wen't there last week they were still doing work.

These fools jumping tracks, well they won't learn until they get hurt.

Basically what Jamaica Line said..... Idiots have been doing this for quite some time now.... I can remember on 2 separate occasions where platform jumpers have tried & failed.... One was at 145th on the B/D & the other was at (smh) junction blvd on the 7....

the kid at 145 slipped on the edge from the SB platform (the platform he jumped from) & did a faceplant..... his friends helped him up; didn't stay to see what else happened afterwards.....

the kid (well he looked more like a young adult, doesn't matter) at junction blvd landed on one foot on the flushing bound platform (he jumped from the manhattan bound platform), but didn't have the leg strength I guess to hold himself on with that foot, so he fell backwards, and managed to rotate his body to where he fell on his side..... that idiot got up on his own power & propelled himself onto the flushing bound side....

This is nothing new to me.. I know people who have jumped between platforms at the Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) station as our school is on that line and its the only station on that part of the line that has two island platforms and the middle track in between... Anyways, I have told them to not do it tons of times.. But they never listen and when they jump, they barely make it... They feel cool but look really stupid and idiotic doing it... Nobody is going to learn until somebody gets seriously hurt smh....

This is nothing new to me.. I know people who have jumped between platforms at the Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) station as our school is on that line and its the only station on that part of the line that has two island platforms and the middle track in between... Anyways, I have told them to not do it tons of times.. But they never listen and when they jump, they barely make it... They feel cool but look really stupid and idiotic doing it... Nobody is going to learn until somebody gets seriously hurt smh....

I remember seeing some kids from my school jump above that middle track.

I remember seeing some kids from my school jump above that middle track.

That track scares me lol, the gap looks big (even though it isn't really) and its just high up, the thought of falling is scary, even more of a reason why this platform jumping thing is stupid ...

That track scares me lol, the gap looks big (even though it isn't really) and its just high up, the thought of falling is scary, even more of a reason why this platform jumping thing is stupid ...

Actually, I think it's the opposite: It seems small but it's actually wider than it looks. I mean, if it were that small, they wouldn't have been tripping as they landed on the other side.

Actually, I think it's the opposite: It seems small but it's actually wider than it looks. I mean, if it were that small, they wouldn't have been tripping as they landed on the other side.

Idk but to me it looked big, I haven't jumped over the platforms (nor do I ever plan on doing so) before so idk how big it really is, but it seems that you are right, I've seen tall ppl who run fast almost trip when they landed ..

Archived