MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the new (M) going away, but I can see the (W) coming back. If the (N) becomes express in Manhattan again (which it probably will), I can see Astoria residents willing enough to lose the (Q) in Queens.

As for the (J) to 4th Avenue... Are there even enough 8-car trains lying around for that?

The only subway route I see returning, should MTA elect to do so, is the (W) . They can simply revert the (Q) to 57/7 all times and run the (N) express in Manhattan again weekdays (with the stop at 49 St) to free up cars for the (W) .

I have no idea whether or not MTA will pursue a (J) to 9th Ave...

...and as for the (M), it's a smash-hit ridership-wise. No way MTA axes the new alignment. If anything, ridership increases may make a strong case for running the full route on weekends, should funding become available.

The (N) should stay Broadway Local because it allows people at Broadway local stations to have one seat ride to Downtown brooklyn via bridge rather than taking the (R)(W) to the (N)(Q) or (6) to (4)(5) .

Guest Lance

I see everyone's saying that the (W) should be brought back, but my question is what would be the gain? Also, would it be better to bring back said line or beef up service on the other lines? In my opinion, 4th Avenue Local, Downtown Brooklyn and Broadway Local services could be improved by simply adding more (R) trains to the line. Right now, the (R) runs every six to eight minutes on weekdays, 10 to 12 on weekends. Tightening those headways to around five and eight minutes respectively would easily satisfy the increasing demand for Broadway Local via Whitehall service. All without bringing back the (W). But that's just my opinion.

However, if the (W) is brought back, the (N) would have to revert back to the Broadway Express as there isn't any way the (N)(R) and (W) could all run on the same tracks without causing delays.

For the 1,000th time, the (W) WILL NOT GO ON 4th AVE, I explained why, the (W) shares tracks with the (R) most of its route, It won't help.

okay let me break it down:

the Brown M will NOT comeback, the (J) to 9th ave has a very strong possibility of happening or a Banker Special aka the Brown <R>

as for the fleet, the (Q) took most of the (W)'s R160's 10 train sets when it was extend to Astoria, the (W) can comeback and return to whitehall st while the (Q) goes back to 57th st 7th ave

The (J) to 9th Ave can also happen, they have a suplus of R32's and R42's, 12 R42's stored in CI yard (the ones that were taken OOS in 2009 from the (R)) and a total of 12 R32's that can be brought back (8 at Fresh Pond, 10 at 38th st (work motors) and 2-4 cars that are just stored) and when the R32 SMS is done that would decrese the spare factor for the (C), those surplus cars can also be used on the (J)/(Z) along with the R42's

The (R) can loose those 5 extra train sets that were added in 2010 and make their way to the (F) to bump off more R160's to CI for the (W) (for Spares) or send the R46's to the (A) ether way to make room for the extra (J)'s

the (V) has no chance of returning, The (M) is gaining ridership

Also this would give the chance of an R42 SMS (they aren't gonna have a choice the cars need it badly)

as for the Buses they can bring back just about any route since there a ton of buses that are stored in Eastchester and other various lots and depots.

The (J) won't work. It would kill skip stop service. Also the (W) to Fourth Avenue isn't going to be redundant at all since it will move on to Bay Parkway on the (D) which is completely different from what the (R) does. Nassau Street riders can transfer at Canal Street.

I see everyone's saying that the (W) should be brought back, but my question is what would be the gain? Also, would it be better to bring back said line or beef up service on the other lines? In my opinion, 4th Avenue Local, Downtown Brooklyn and Broadway Local services could be improved by simply adding more (R) trains to the line. Right now, the (R) runs every six to eight minutes on weekdays, 10 to 12 on weekends. Tightening those headways to around five and eight minutes respectively would easily satisfy the increasing demand for Broadway Local via Whitehall service. All without bringing back the (W). But that's just my opinion.

However, if the (W) is brought back, the (N) would have to revert back to the Broadway Express as there isn't any way the (N)(R) and (W) could all run on the same tracks without causing delays.

And quite frankly I would prefer it that way... It is stupid to have the (N) running local anyway. Bring back the (W)!!!

Simply have it put. Bring back the (W) weekdays only. No late night or weekend services. It would run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall Street at all times. During rush hours the (W) would run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway on the West End Line. That would be ideal.

If anything is restored, it will be the W. If additional downtown to Brooklyn service is restored, it will still be the W.

W.

Not V. Not M, Not J.

W.

Oh, not G either.

I like your way of putting it, Art. No beating around the bush. Straight, no chaser. Sensible,too.

Having the (W) on 4th ave WILL NOT WORK, DO YOU GUYS RIDE BROADWAY DURING RUSH HOURS, having the (N),(Q) and (R) in the 60th st tube screws up all 3 lines, the (W) used about 14 train sets from 2004-10 when it when to whitehall st, having the (W) go down 4th ave will not work due to the fact it shares tracks with the (R), adding more (R) service will not work, they added more (R) service already, the 60th st tube is maxed out already, you add more (R) trains you will have more delays, THATS why the (J) was brought up, skip stop will not be affected if the (J) goes to 9th ave, I ride (J)/(Z) most of the time, it won't mess it up, the (J) uses less cars than the (W) having a 8 car train on the 4th ave Local would give riders another choice to lower manhattan via nassau st, if you have the (W) go down via whitehall with the (R), it won't help, it would make it worse, THATS WHY THE TA brought up the (J), the (J) to 9th ave rumor was STARTED IN THE TA not from some random rail fans, the (M)/(V) combo was a foamer idea and GUESS WHAT it Helped in the out run because we have the current (M), you guys don't know how the broadway line work, i used to take it everyday during rush hour and it was hell, and if you want to add more (R) trains have selected (R)'s go via 63rd st, thats the only way, until then the extended (J) would be the best choice since you have a surplus of 60" SMEE's and you can have them in an 8 car train, this is why i hate explaining to half of you, because you guys to me don't know shit, ride the (R) and see how everything is put in front of it, skip stop service they want to get rid of, but they can't since it works out well on the (J)/(Z), all they would do is modify it, and theres enough trains to turn the (Z) around, there are 6 (Z) trains all together

For start, where are we going to get extra cars for the (W) or even the (J)? (IF ether goes to South Brooklyn..). Most of the cars out of ENY was bumped to the (L) line for increased service, so I don't know whats going to cover service for the other lines. Unless the MTA pulls out some of the retired sets around, until the R179 comes....

Having the (W) on 4th ave WILL NOT WORK, DO YOU GUYS RIDE BROADWAY DURING RUSH HOURS, having the (N), (Q) and (R) in the 60th st tube screws up all 3 lines, the (W) used about 14 train sets from 2004-10 when it when to whitehall st, having the (W) go down 4th ave will not work due to the fact it shares tracks with the (R), adding more (R) service will not work, they added more (R) service already, the 60th st tube is maxed out already, you add more (R) trains you will have more delays, THATS why the (J) was brought up, skip stop will not be affected if the (J) goes to 9th ave, I ride (J)/(Z) most of the time, it won't mess it up, the (J) uses less cars than the (W) having a 8 car train on the 4th ave Local would give riders another choice to lower manhattan via nassau st, if you have the (W) go down via whitehall with the (R), it won't help, it would make it worse, THATS WHY THE TA brought up the (J), the (J) to 9th ave rumor was STARTED IN THE TA not from some random rail fans, the (M)/(V) combo was a foamer idea and GUESS WHAT it Helped in the out run because we have the current (M), you guys don't know how the broadway line work, i used to take it everyday during rush hour and it was hell, and if you want to add more (R) trains have selected (R)'s go via 63rd st, thats the only way, until then the extended (J) would be the best choice since you have a surplus of 60" SMEE's and you can have them in an 8 car train, this is why i hate explaining to half of you, because you guys to me don't know shit, ride the (R) and see how everything is put in front of it, skip stop service they want to get rid of, but they can't since it works out well on the (J)/(Z), all they would do is modify it, and theres enough trains to turn the (Z) around, there are 6 (Z) trains all together

Do you know the reason why the old brown M wasn't frequently used? It never connected upper Fourth Avenue Line riders and West End Line riders to Midtown Manhattan which is the destination of a majority of the riders in South Brooklyn. The Nassau Street Line runs nowhere near Midtown and would not be successful with South Brooklyn riders. The MTA is looking at what makes money not a ghost train that takes people to nowhere. Your idea won't work since it has been tested before and therefore it shall be dismissed.

For start, where are we going to get extra cars for the (W) or even the (J)? (IF ether goes to South Brooklyn..). Most of the cars out of ENY was bumped to the (L) line for increased service, so I don't know whats going to cover service for the other lines. Unless the MTA pulls out some of the retired sets around, until the R179 comes....

They will have available cars for the (J) IF it does get extended, once the R32 SMS is done they will have a surplus of R32's and the (C) spare factor will decrease, plus you have extra R32's and 12 R42's lying around, 10 of those extra R32's do garbage duty out of 38th st, as for the (W) the (Q) has most of the (W)'s cars they added like 10-12 train sets (surplus of the (W)'s R160's went to the (Q), so theres enough

They will have available cars for the (J) IF it does get extended, once the R32 SMS is done they will have a surplus of R32's and the (C) spare factor will decrease, plus you have extra R32's and 12 R42's lying around, 10 of those extra R32's do garbage duty out of 38th st, as for the (W) the (Q) has most of the (W)'s cars they added like 10-12 train sets (surplus of the (W)'s R160's went to the (Q), so theres enough

But the area where you are pointing us South Brooklyn riders is not the direction we want. The last census showed that a majority of us go to Midtown and not to Jamaica.

This is more what I think would be considered, service bumps on existing services instead of a mirror or pre-2012 services. Already parts of the canceled services has returned in my area through community fight.

Yes, service levels on the Q26 were restored partially not too long after the cuts, it was pretty surprising but hey I guess the Auburndale crowd made themselves heard

And I do wish the N ran express in Manhattan again, helps when you have two options instead of one when you need to get to lower Manhattan...

Do you know the reason why the old brown M wasn't frequently used? It never connected upper Fourth Avenue Line riders and West End Line riders to Midtown Manhattan which is the destination of a majority of the riders in South Brooklyn. The Nassau Street Line runs nowhere near Midtown and would not be successful with South Brooklyn riders. The MTA is looking at what makes money not a ghost train that takes people to nowhere. Your idea won't work since it has been tested before and therefore it shall be dismissed.

yeah exactly the (M) was useless on the west end, ridership Grew on 4th ave, all I'm saying is that the (W) is gonna be delayed just like the (R) if it goes down 4th ave, thats why the (J) was brought up in the first place, and they Only want to end it at 9th ave, if you have the (W) that shares the same track as the (R) go down 4th ave would be pointless, the (R) needs help, Not from the (W), from another line it can be from 6th ave or nassau st, doesn't matter, but the obvious choice would be nassau st ( (J) train)

To be honest the (MTA) should have never canned the (W), it helped Broadway out a lot, when they extended the (Q) to astoria it messed up everything, thats why 4th ave have delays with the (N) and (R) lines, if the (W) was still here there wouldn't be as much delays as it is now

When I took the (R) after the cuts, every local station was packed and the (R) doesn't always show up on time due to delays, when the (M) was here it only did good on 4th ave, not on west end, now that people in those areas are moving in, theres a demand for more service, thats why the (J) was brought up, its the only choice

But the area where you are pointing us South Brooklyn riders is not the direction we want. The last census showed that a majority of us go to Midtown and not to Jamaica.

so have the (W) run down there with the (R), I bet your ass will still be waiting 10 mins for a train, and why would people from there would want to go to jamaica, their main point is to get where they got to go in the city even if they have to take the local train to atlantic ave JUST to get an express train to midtown manhattan and ANOTHER reason why the (J) was brought UP was to reduce the amount of people on the IRT, after the 2010 cuts it has been Over crowded

Imaging the (W) is sent down West End, things will more-or-less stay the same as now. The only change would be, instead of merging with a line at Prince St, it would merge with a line at 36th St. That's about it. Hell, if you sent the (J) down, the (R) would have to merge with four lines, the (M), (N), (Q) and (J) but with the (W) it'd only merge three times (with the (M), (N) and (W))

And in what way would the (W) be delayed that the (J) wouldn't?

The 60th St Tube is crowded but Astoria needs the service so that's how it has to be.

the only thing is that the (MTA) would want to keep the (W) at whitehall st to help broadway, if the (W) went pass whitehall it would mess up service on the (W), the (W) is best if it stayed at whitehall if it were to comeback

the only thing is that the (MTA) would want to keep the (W) at whitehall st to help broadway, if the (W) went pass whitehall it would mess up service on the (W), the (W) is best if it stayed at whitehall if it were to comeback

That is not true. The (W) ran across the Manhattan Bridge on to South Brooklyn during the time when the north side of the Manhattan Bridge was shut down. It never caused any problems. I like how you are using counterarguments that make no sense at all. The (J) isn't going to South Brooklyn. That is the answer.

Well, the W via Bridge to south Brooklyn (2001-2004) was nearly the same service as the N of 2004-2010. The Astoria-Broadway local W of 2004-2010 is the direct successor to the N of 1988-2004. So of course it could go to Brooklyn- It did for a decade and a half, and things worked fine.

And nobody has brought up J to Brooklyn outside of these boards...

ANOTHER reason why the (J) was brought UP was to reduce the amount of people on the IRT, after the 2010 cuts it has been Over crowded

Is this real? Are you implying that so many more people have been transferring between the IRT and BMT 4th Ave line at Atlantic to the point where the Brooklyn IRT has really become overcrowded? If the want to do something about that then they just need to bring back the old Nassau St <R> "banker's specials." But a lot of firms left the Wall St area. Now it is becoming more residential. There are still firms there, but not like there were long ago.

Although more and more [new] residents of that area could have jobs in Brooklyn and thus they now have to use the Brooklyn IRT to get to those jobs in the Borough Hall area and possibly a little bit of Park Slope and Atlantic. This is all just speculation though. Most could very well have jobs in Midtown/UWS/UES. If someone could shed some more light on this, that would be helpful as we could really get an idea as to what needs to be cooked up for these areas as far as subway service goes.

Anyway, if it really is such an issue then the best solution is probably that old Nassau to 4th Ave service. Nassau to Brighton which was around up until the early 80s would really tie things up on the Brighton line; I only mention Brighton since it parallels the Brooklyn IRT even more than 4th Ave.

I have to tell you though, you said the Brooklyn IRT has been overcrowded since the 2010 cuts, but a lot of people on the web have an awful lot of different accounts as to what exactly goes on with some of these lines, especially the Brooklyn IRT, so you or somebody else is going to have to clarify exactly what is meant by this supposed overcrowding of the Brooklyn IRT and whether the IRT really needs this relief from the BMT......

Seeing some service restoration was a thought-out plan made by Joe Lhota, which I have to say is pure genius. I don't know how this is gonna work, but I'm thinking that the whole " (J) Train to 9th Av" thing doesn't have a chance of being official. (J)/(Z) skip-stop service would still operate between Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av-JFK Airport and Marcy Av followed by all local stops via the original brown (M). (Z) Trains would eventually run to 9th Av during AM Rush Hours and trains would also leave 9th Av bound for Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer during PM Rush Hours. Meanwhile the (J) Trains would start running local along Broadway between Myrtle and Marcy Avs from 7:00 AM-8:00 PM all weekdays except Rush Hours. Rush Hour Train Service will run to/from Bay Parkway, while Weekday Off-Peak, Late Nights, and All Weekend Service will run to/from 9th Av where the (Z) Trains will terminate and begin their trips.

Skip-stop service must be two self contained services for it to work (just like the (J)(Z) is now and the (1)(9) was in years prior). Remember, the (M)(J)(Z) only share track at Essex and Marcy only, and the (J)(Z) is express at that point anyway, and the skip-stop begins after the (M) goes away. Can't split up the two services at all (one to Brooklyn, the other one stays in lower Manhattan).

A question for ACEVE, R32 3838 and other supporters of extending the (J) to 9th Ave or even 95th St weekday? What happens when the (J) is delayed in Queens or Northern Brooklyn? At least the (R) has "express" tracks such as the Manhattan Bridge, 4th Ave/Broadway and QB when it late. The (J) only a small portion along Broadway-Brooklyn for "Express" service. Plus the (W) did get much better ridership than the old "M" line as well.

Instead a better idea IMO is to run the (Z) between Eastern Pwy. and 9th Ave/Bay Parkway rush hours while the (J) makes all stops between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center. Not endorsing it but making a better proposal if South Brooklyn-Nassau service is needed at all. Plus don't forget the new Fulton Transit Center will also create a direct transfer between Nassau and Broadway Lines at Corlandt as well.

Still bringing back the (W) IMO rush hours only between 9th Ave and Astoria makes the most sense.

Archived