Man gets Electrocuted by 3rd Rail at IND 34th St / HSQ (SHOCKING)

mark1447

Just goes to show there's always a back story to a "crazy person". Hell, i've seen dangerously mentally ill patients in my former psych facility (I worked there, was not a customer, LOL) come from well to do backgrounds. Had one lady, ironically, was in school studying psychology when she fell ill. She went to a party, someone slipped something in her drink, and was never the same since. I don't know what happened to this young man before this happened. Did he have any history of mental illness? Did he drink or take drugs before he went down to the tracks? Won't know unless someone close to him puts it out there.

RIP "Toni"

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a suicide, I've seen much worse though. Guy in India, standing on a train, refuses to get off, but in his stupidity grabs one of the overhead wires for support and gets ZAPPED! Flames shot out that guy's head! Brown skinned to charred in two seconds! Damn I'll never forget THAT!!

Difference between 600VDC and 10,500

@MottAvenueMan: I could've sworn somebody on this site was an EMT. Was that you?

And yeah, that looked like some kind of KKK forum or something when I read that. Turns out, it's even worse. :o

That would be me; I'm a Paramedic.

Power gets cut, body and parts get removed.

Rigor mortis is when the body stiffens after death. The spasms that occur right after death is due to the neurological system not realizing the heart is no longer beating; hence the "chicken without a head" saying.

I can't find the link anywhere now. The original link at the top of the thread has been removed.

Don't you remember what Jeff told us, is the amps not the voltage.

It's still proportional. If you keep the same current (amperage) and increase the voltage, then you're getting hit with that current at a higher pressure (that's what voltage actually is); so of course it is going to be much worse.

That would be me; I'm a Paramedic.

Power gets cut, body and parts get removed.

Rigor mortis is when the body stiffens after death. The spasms that occur right after death is due to the neurological system not realizing the heart is no longer beating; hence the "chicken without a head" saying.

I can't find the link anywhere now. The original link at the top of the thread has been removed.

No wonder why the lobsters still move and have spasms after you cut them apart to cook them. That is interesting to know.

First off its unfortunate this man died they way he did whether he was drunk or sober. If it were your mother, father sister or brother some of you wouldnt be so nonchalant about it. This man was not suicidal, I know this for a fact. His problem was alcoholism. He did not purposely fall into that third rail. He got drunk as he usually did & he made a very poor choice that costed him his life.

I dont blame the pedestrians that were there. Im sure some reacted & called for help & it was seen nor heard on the video. Those that did nothing may have been shocked, clueless, or even uneducated (the woman with the shirt)

Bottom line is that someone loved this man regardless to his hang ups. I watched his brother cry.

Its easy to judge & assume or even imagine what you would do if this were you loved one. The fact is that you will know until you are in the same situation. My condolences go out to him & his family.

Sometimes ppl have serious problems. Many ppl are suffering in the city and in order to quell the pain of their woes in their personal lives they resort to drug and alchohol abuse. Or maybe the man was suffering from a serious mental disorder or something. Maybe a drunken move to commit suicide?

I saw the video. Horrific and very sad. I uded to work as a Nursing intern before I went into IT and even that video bothered me. I mean the guy literally caught on fire on the 500+ V third rail and burned to death. Smoke everywhere from the body being elecricuted.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, if you notice, there is a woman that tries to pull him up.

However, in this case, it is actually a pretty stupid idea. If you are pulling the guy up so he is off the ground, and his bare foot touches the third rail, guess what--you are grounded to the platform, and now you all get zapped. Even if 3 or 4 guys are pulling him, so the overall voltage gets spread out a little, 600 volts will probably kill all of you, or at least severely burn the arms of everyone pulling him.

Actually The voltage can be as high as 30,000,000 VDC and you wont feel anything, because it is Amps what kill you and the subway lines carry anywhere upwards of 500A and 40A is lethal (typical American Household pulls 3-4A)

Thats what happens when you get high and play on train tracks. No sympathy for stupidity. This is just one less deranged person taking up space. Too bad the kid who shot up the movie theatre didnt fall on the tracks and die like this before he killed all of those people.

and you know world star hip hop had to get their copy

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhj3WtKovlaW3tlALD

His "friends" wont even feel like shit for leaving their belligerant buddy behind. They were probably making jokes at what a drunken fool this guy was behaving like when they were with him last.

if someone was able to activate that current disconnection switch that personell only knows about, would it have really made that section of third rail powerless?

Archived