Planned Subway Service Changes

There might be work being performed south of Brooklyn Bridge plus it might be congestion of switches.

I think it should depend on where the work is being done. If work is being done at say, Fulton St, then yeah, it'll probably be impractical to relay trains between Brooklyn Bridge and Fulton St. But if work is being done in the Joralemon St Tubes (like the work last week for example; there are new lights installed in part of the SB tube, and they look nice) I don't see what is preventing (5) trains from being relayed using that switch, especially if they're only running every 20 minutes. I do think (4) trains should probably still use the loop, to avoid congestion.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better to have at least one express on the Lex than to overcrowd the (4) and (6) locals.

Well that's good for those who prefer to waste an average of 10 minutes for the express. There's no point in running the (5) at all, since it's running every 20 minutes, especially since the Dyre branch is closed too.

Why? A full-time line is a full-time line. It's not like Jerome riders want a faster ride through Manhattan or something. If they need to get from the Bronx to Brooklyn, then they can take the (D) nearby to Atlantic for the (2)(3). Simple. The (6) would be severely overcrowded if the (4) were not to help out.

Your not getting my point Rollover:

I said to let the (4) be express in Manhattan but the (5) can be rerouted via the (6) local. It's better then to have every Lex line affected.

Speaking of FastTrack, what in the world are they doing on the (7) line this month?

Your not getting my point Rollover:

I said to let the (4) be express in Manhattan but the (5) can be rerouted via the (6) local. It's better then to have every Lex line affected.

Of course I did got your point. What are you talking about?

And once again, why? The Dyre branch is closed and the (5) is just running every 20 minutes (3 trains an hour), no? Meanwhile, the Jerome branch is open, and the (4) is running every 8-10 minutes (6 or 8 trains per hour) compared to the (6). So the combined frequencies on the Lex local is about 4-5 minutes (12 or 16 trains per hour). So yeah, that's why it makes sense to have the (4) run local all weekend. It always runs local in Manhattan at night, right? Well, let it run local on weekends if it's cut between Brooklyn Bridge and Utica.

MTA Service Status

Planned Work 
l.png Trains run approximately every 24 minutes between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Pkwy

Days, 11 AM to 3:05 PM, Mon to Fri, Mar 9 - 13

l.png service operates in two sections:
1. Between 8 Av and Broadway Junction
2. Between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Pkwy

Transfer at Broadway Junction to continue your trip.

Departures to Broadway Junction:       Departures to Rockaway Pkwy:
Rockaway
Pkwy ad.png East 105 St Livonia Av Atlantic Av 11:02 AM 11:04 AM 11:07 AM 11:10 AM 11:28   11:30   11:33   11:36   11:52   11:54   11:57   12:00 PM 12:16 PM 12:18 PM 12:21 PM 12:24   12:40   12:42   12:45   12:48   Then every 24 minutes until: 2:40 PM 2:42 PM 2:45 PM 2:48 PM       Broadway
Junction
Sutter Av Livonia Av East 105 St 11:15 AM 11:17 AM 11:18 AM 11:21 AM 11:41   11:43   11:44   11:47   12:05 PM 12:07 PM 12:08 PM 12:11 PM 12:29   12:31   12:32   12:35   12:53   12:55   12:56   12:59   Then every 24 minutes until: 2:53 PM 2:55 PM 2:56 PM 2:59 PM

Note: Canarsie-bound l.png trains board from the Queens-bound j.png platform at Broadway Junction.

ad.png   This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations. Please call 511 for help with planning
your trip. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay.  

MTA Service Status

Planned Work 
Staten Island Railway icon Trains may not connect with the Staten Island Ferry

Days, 9 AM to 3 PM, Mon to Thu, Mar 9 - 12

Due to planned system maintenance, trains will depart St. George Terminal without delay.

Please allow additional travel time.

Planned Work 
Staten Island Railway icon Boarding Change at Richmond Valley, Nassau and Atlantic Stations

Days, 9 AM to 3 PM, Mon to Fri, Mar 9 - 12

All trains board at the St. George-bound platform. 

N.png No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St

7.png trains provide alternate service
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Apr 3 - 6

N.png service operates in two sections:
    1.  Between Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza
    2.  Between Times Sq-42 St and Stillwell Av, making local stops
         • N.pngtrains run via the R.png between Canal St and 59 St, Brooklyn

Q.png trains run local between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St.

Travel Alternatives:

For service between Queens and Manhattan, transfer between N.png and 7.png trains at
Queensboro Plaza and/or Times Sq-42 St.

For Lexington Av/59 St, take the 4.png6.png via the 7.png at Grand Central-42 St
or the N.png at 14 St-Union Sq.

For 5 Av/59 St, use the nearby Lexington Av/59 St 4.png6.png Station instead.

For 57 St-7 Av and 49 St, take the Q.png via transfer at Times Sq-42 St.

Note: At Queensboro Plaza, N.png trains board at the Manhattan-bound platform.

Finally! Maybe they should look at the 60th street tunnel and fix the issues there. Also the issues north of 57th street.

J.png No trains between Hewes St and Chambers St
M.png No trains between Myrtle Av and Essex St 

4.png 6.png F.png and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Weekend, 5:30 AM to 6 PM, Sat and Sun, Mar 28 - 29 

J.png service operates between Parsons/Archer and Hewes St. 
M.png service operates between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av

shuttle_bus.png buses run between Hewes and Essex Sts, stopping at Marcy Av

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png

For service between Brooklyn and Manhattan, take a shuttle_bus.png bus. 
• Transfer between trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Hewes St J.png and/or Essex St F.png J.png
• Transfer between J.png M.png trains at Myrtle Av. 

----------

This is next Weekend. Notice how there will be no service at all between Essex St and Chambers St, so riders will have to walk or use the (F)(L)  (4)(6) to get around Manhattan.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Why? If more sections are not running on the (J), the shuttle buses should extend to Chambers Street.

I completely agree. Without having the free (J) shuttle buses operate all the way between Hewes St and Chambers St instead of Essex St, that would mean riders have to get off at Essex St to catch the uptown (F), then get off at B'way-Lafayette to catch the downtown (6) to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall/Chambers St.

Man.

M.png Service is extended to the Chambers St J.png Station

Weekend, 6:30 AM to 11:30 PM Saturday, Apr 4
                    8 AM to 11:30 PM Sunday, Apr 5

Weekend service operates between Metropolitan Av and Delancey St/Essex St,
and via the J.pngto/from Chambers St.

Note: Late Night service is not affected.

M.png Service is extended to the Chambers St J.png Station

Weekend, 6:30 AM to 11:30 PM Saturday, Apr 4

8 AM to 11:30 PM Sunday, Apr 5

Weekend service operates between Metropolitan Av and Delancey St/Essex St,

and via the J.pngto/from Chambers St.

Note: Late Night service is not affected.

this is next weekend so no shuttle bus next wk

So im seeing this o my app for now is the shuttle bus for just the morning with the (J)

Please explain why only the (E) is running local and not the (F). Or is the (MTA) giving out more wrong information?

its not wrong, I have seen it last weekend.

I was wondering the same' They are both local "north" of 71st Ave, so I'm not sure why this makes sense, Unless they want to serve the local stations/mall more.

I was wondering the same' They are both local "north" of 71st Ave, so I'm not sure why this makes sense, Unless they want to serve the local stations/mall more.

Throughout the weekend and night (and after the PM rush), the (E) has to run local east of Forest Hills for the following reason:

1) Jamaica isn't wide enough to store every trains assigned to each of the four Queens Blvd lines, meaning some or a bit more of those trains have to be layed up on the express tracks between 75 Av and 179 St. Remember, they are more cars assigned to Jamaica than any other shop depot in the entire subway system.

2) The (F) also has to run local east of Forest Hills for this purpose too, not to mention that it's cheaper to relay the (F) alone east of 179 St than with the (E)(M)(R). There's no need for it to run express all the way to 179 St, as virtually everybody between 75 Av and 179 St on the Hillside branch want an express train to Manhattan as much as those on the Jamaica Center branch.

That's why.

Throughout the weekend and night (and after the PM rush), the (E) has to run local east of Forest Hills for the following reason:

1) Jamaica isn't wide enough to store every trains assigned to each of the four Queens Blvd lines, meaning some or a bit more of those trains have to be layed up on the express tracks between 75 Av and 179 St. Remember, they are more cars assigned to Jamaica than any other shop depot in the entire subway system.

2) The (F) also has to run local east of Forest Hills for this purpose too, not to mention that it's cheaper to relay the (F) alone east of 179 St than with the (E)(M)(R). There's no need for it to run express all the way to 179 St, as virtually everybody between 75 Av and 179 St on the Hillside branch want an express train to Manhattan as much as those on the Jamaica Center branch.

That's why.

they could of used the switch after Union Tpke for the F to get onto the express track, but that would have meant the F going to the local for 75th and going back to the express after UT.