Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E.png No rush hour service to/from Jamaica-179 St

AM & PM Rush Hours, Mon to Fri, Aug 17 - Sep 4

• Take the F.png instead. Transfer to/from E.png trains at Union Tpke.

Does that mean the (E) will be more crowded? Especially when they send the (E) to 179th street during rush hours to reduce crowding at Jamaica. I wonder what kind of work being performed.

Maybe it has to do with the Hillside section of the express tracks?

I don't see why they feel the need to mention this. I doubt anybody would care since it's only 3 trains a day (to/from 179). The (F) runs just as frequently as the (E) does at rush hour (15 tph + 15 tph = 30 tph) anyway.

No it's more than 3. 4 From 179 during the AM 3 during the PM and 5 to 179 during the PM. The last for some reason is not in the schedule

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Looks like it's going to be pretty bad:

E.png F.png M.png R.png Trains run less frequently during rush hours 

Rush Hours, 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM, Mon to Fri, Aug 17 - Sep 4 

Due to reduced capacity caused by track work, expect longer waits and 
additional crowding during peak hours.   

• Please allow additional travel time. 

E.png Some Jamaica Center-bound trains run local from Queens Plaza to Jamaica-Van Wyck
F.png Some Jamaica-bound trains run local from 21 St-Queensbridge to 71 Av 

Mon to Fri, 8 AM to 11 AM and 3:30 PM to 10 PM, Aug 17 - Sep 4 

• Please allow additional travel time. 

E.png No rush hour service to/from Jamaica-179 St 
Rush Hours, 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM, Mon to Fri, Aug 17 - Sep 4 

• Take the F.png instead. Transfer to/from E.png trains at Union Tpke. 

Reminder to customers about 24/7 slow speeds on the 1.png near Cortlandt St and the 6.png near Canal St

Allow additional travel time:

1.png ALL TIMES Until Sep 14
South Ferry-bound track construction near Cortlandt St ALL TIMES Beginning Sep 14 until Oct 26
242 St-bound track construction near Cortlandt St 
6.png ALL TIMES Through Sep 7
Brooklyn Bridge-bound track
 reconstruction near Canal St

IIRC, Queens Blvd had a similar G.O in like 2005, however it only affected the (E) and (F) lines.

I wonder if its because they will have skeleton tracks and the trains can't travel at full speed over them?

Wonder why they'e not doing the new "Ekki Hilti" method, where the don't chip out the whole roadbed, but just replace small pieces (and ties) at a time, and it doesn;t require a slow order.

How frequent the  (E)  (F)  (M)  (R) will be during rush hours during this service change? 

I assume that maybe every 8 minutes (E)(F)(M)(R) would run. We don't know yet.

But I'm concerned that it would be even more packed if the (7) has a problem causing QBL to overflow. 

I noticed that it states that on few weekends the (E)(F) will be local in Queens. 

Some (E) and (F) trains running local instead of express? Good, the (M)(R) don't come frequent enough. Not that I'll use it anyways since I don't take the subway.

Good? Trains will be held up due to fumigation and relaying at 71 Av. The part-time (M) and (R) aren't as busy as the full-time (E) and (F) are either.

This is a very foolish way to handle the trackwork taking place.  It sounds like the work is being done on the express track, so a fast-moving Jamaica-bound local would be just as fast (if not faster) than any slow-speed order on the express track.

I'd short turn most R's at 57/7th to return to 95th, and short turn most M's at Chambers to return to Metropolitan Ave during the next 3 weeks.  Otherwise, there's going to be a major conga line waiting to enter 71st/Continental (eastbound) which will throw off the entire schedule in both directions, in all three boroughs on the E, F, M and R lines.  An extra E or F here or there can be sent local (in either direction along Queens Blvd) to make up for any gap in M or R service.

This is a major disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by RtrainBlues

This is a very foolish way to handle the trackwork taking place.  It sounds like the work is being done on the express track, so a fast-moving Jamaica-bound local would be just as fast (if not faster) than any slow-speed order on the express track.

I'd short turn most R's at 57/7th to return to 95th, and short turn most M's at Chambers to return to Metropolitan Ave during the next 3 weeks.  Otherwise, there's going to be a major conga line waiting to enter 71st/Continental (eastbound) which will throw off the entire schedule in both directions, in all three boroughs on the E, F, M and R lines.  An extra E or F here or there can be sent local (in either direction along Queens Blvd) to make up for any gap in M or R service.

There is 6th Avenue service to be considered then as well.

In the case of the (R), if you turn them at 57th/7th, I would then have a special OOS transfer between the Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza stations during that time.

For the (M), I would perhaps send those up CPW, alternating as follows during rush hours:

(M) trains sent local on CPW go with the (C) to 168

(M) trains sent express on CPW go with the (B) and (D) to Bedford Park Boulevard.

Non-rush hours, all (M) trains would go to 168 until 9:30 PM or so, when such would then be sent to 57th/6th where there is less likely to be interference from the (F) in turning there.

That solves the 6th Avenue issue and allows Broadway-Brooklyn riders to keep their midtown service.

Are you insane? Short turn most of the locals? How are people on the local supposed to get home from work? Guess which R's aren't gonna short turn? Guess which E's and F's aren't running local? 

You can't just "send a few expresses down the local". People have to get ON a train in manhattan to be able to transfer to a train in queens. 

IMO here's what I think should happen if some (E) and (F) trains are running local due to track work they should terminate some (R) trains at 57-7 ave and send some over the (F) line to jackson heights roosevelt ave that way there would be less delays along QBL and (N) and (Q) trains won't have to run at slower speeds through the 60 st tube to make room for (R) trains

IMO here's what I think should happen if some (E) and (F) trains are running local due to track work they should terminate some (R) trains at 57-7 ave and send some over the (F) line to jackson heights roosevelt ave that way there would be less delays along QBL and (N) and (Q) trains won't have to run at slower speeds through the 60 st tube to make room for (R) trains

Try boarding a northbound R train at 57/7 at about 6pm when the train before short-turned. 

I can find pictures of the dangerously crowded platforms there when this happens if you like. 

The following R train becomes a stuffed-to-the-gills slow mover, with delays at every station it hits. Stuffed as it gets, there will still be passengers waiting on the platform for the 2nd following R train that could not fit on the first. 

If service needs to be cut, it needs to be done such that trains flow at regular intervals. Instead of 8 minute headways, make them 10 minute headways. Lets say you need to go from 8tph to 6tph... You could make the intervals 10-10-10-10-10-10 by changing departures... or by dropping trains you could leave the intervals as is but with dropouts. 8-8-16-8-8-16 would drop every 3rd train. 

Now that train who's leader was 16 minutes ahead is crowded. Dwell times increase. Before long it's 20 minutes behind. Now situations become quite bad. Short turning trains is not the answer. The R is the least frequent service on the broadway line as it is. 

Point is: Doing this will delay the N Q and R to such a spectacular degree that there's no conceivable benefit worth the cost. 

Try boarding a northbound R train at 57/7 at about 6pm when the train before short-turned. 

I can find pictures of the dangerously crowded platforms there when this happens if you like. 

The following R train becomes a stuffed-to-the-gills slow mover, with delays at every station it hits. Stuffed as it gets, there will still be passengers waiting on the platform for the 2nd following R train that could not fit on the first. 

If service needs to be cut, it needs to be done such that trains flow at regular intervals. Instead of 8 minute headways, make them 10 minute headways. Lets say you need to go from 8tph to 6tph... You could make the intervals 10-10-10-10-10-10 by changing departures... or by dropping trains you could leave the intervals as is but with dropouts. 8-8-16-8-8-16 would drop every 3rd train. 

Now that train who's leader was 16 minutes ahead is crowded. Dwell times increase. Before long it's 20 minutes behind. Now situations become quite bad. Short turning trains is not the answer. The R is the least frequent service on the broadway line as it is. 

Point is: Doing this will delay the N Q and R to such a spectacular degree that there's no conceivable benefit worth the cost. 

As a matter of fact, I take back what I said (my agreement with RtrainBlues)...Short turning trains isn't the answer. Yes, but neither is track work and lowering the headways the answer either. Why can't the (MTA) just save all of this track-work for overnights/weekends?