Planned Subway Service Changes

But you and I both know that they're not going to make the (B) local and the (Q) express on the Brighton Line for obvious reasons.

The least obvious reason is probably politics. You've got some pretty inconvenient setups in a few places, and for the same reasons why we have the (B) and (Q) setup like this as well.

For example: the (2) and (5) in the Bronx.

Currently, the (2) (Bronx local) makes 24 stops before reaching 96 Street; the (5) (Bronx express) makes it to 86 Street in only 10 stops from Dyre Avenue. Even including the local stops along the way, the (5) (Bronx local) would only make 17 stops. From Nereid Avenue, the (5) (Bronx express) makes 14 stops to 86 Street. There’s a massive inequality here. The MTA also saw the obvious need to make the (2) express and the (5) local in the Bronx to increase throughput by eliminating the use of what’s functionally a level junction during rush hours, but political pressure kept the status quo. Had the switch been done, the (2) (Bronx express) would have made 17 stops from 241 Street to 96 Street; the (5) (Bronx local) would have made 17 stops to 86 Street; the crossing paths of the (2) and (5) at East 180 Street would have been eliminated.

For example: the (A) and (C) in Brooklyn

Currently, the (C) (Fulton Street local) terminates at Euclid Avenue while the (A) serves Lefferts Boulevard, Far Rockaway, and sometimes Rockaway Park. It could easily be extended to Lefferts Boulevard, providing a higher frequency of service to the branch, and allowing the (A) to consolidate its offerings down to 2: Far Rockaway and sometimes Rockaway Park. Instead, political pressure has kept the most sensible arrangement from materializing. And due to that, all 3 branches get the crappiest service possible.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't we agreed that all Lefferts Boulevard (A) trains are better off turning at Howard Beach-JFK Airport and not sending all of them to Far Rockaway (with those 5 rush hour-peak direction trips to/from Rockaway Park)? More service is needed at Howard Beach and north of that station, not the Rockaway peninsula.

We'll talk about this more in the Proposal Thread or maybe a new thread about the upcoming full-line reviews about the (A) and (C).

Didn't we agreed that all Lefferts Boulevard (A) trains are better off turning at Howard Beach-JFK Airport and not sending all of them to Far Rockaway (with those 5 rush hour-peak direction trips to/from Rockaway Park)? More service is needed at Howard Beach and north of that station, not the Rockaway peninsula.

We'll talk about this more in the Proposal Thread or maybe a new thread about the upcoming full-line reviews about the (A) and (C).

That doesn’t really go against my point though. Even if the (A) trains had to short-turn, it would be a service improvement: they would no longer be going off on a tangent to an unrelated branch. There would still be more than enough service to eliminate the (S) altogether. Some, though, call for more extremes like owning the entire (C) line: http://www.therockawaysny.com/take-c-train-to-rockaway-beach/

Really, the C to Rockaway Park? How about sending it back to Bedford Park while we're at it? I'm not against more service to the Rockaways, but the C is never the option.

For example: the (A) and (C) in Brooklyn

Currently, the (C) (Fulton Street local) terminates at Euclid Avenue while the (A) serves Lefferts Boulevard, Far Rockaway, and sometimes Rockaway Park. It could easily be extended to Lefferts Boulevard, providing a higher frequency of service to the branch, and allowing the (A) to consolidate its offerings down to 2: Far Rockaway and sometimes Rockaway Park. Instead, political pressure has kept the most sensible arrangement from materializing. And due to that, all 3 branches get the crappiest service possible.

This is why the best thing that could happen is the SAS is extended into Brooklyn by having the (T) go through a new Schermerhorn Street tunnel, stopping at what would be a re-activated (from the Transit Museum) Court Street station before going to Hoyt-Schermerhorn and becoming the Fulton Local.  Then you can have the (C) be express to Lefferts and the (A) concentrate on The Rockaways, sending enough (A) trains to Rockaway Park to eliminate the shuttle while having most other (A) trains go to Far Rockaway and some (A) 's short-turn at Howard Beach (which for that likely would need to have a third platform added just for terminating trains that could also be used for a late-night (S) between Howard Beach and Rockaway Park).

This is why the best thing that could happen is the SAS is extended into Brooklyn by having the (T) go through a new Schermerhorn Street tunnel, stopping at what would be a re-activated (from the Transit Museum) Court Street station before going to Hoyt-Schermerhorn and becoming the Fulton Local. Then you can have the (C) be express to Lefferts and the (A) concentrate on The Rockaways, sending enough (A) trains to Rockaway Park to eliminate the shuttle while having most other (A) trains go to Far Rockaway and some (A) 's short-turn at Howard Beach (which for that likely would need to have a third platform added just for terminating trains that could also be used for a late-night (S) between Howard Beach and Rockaway Park).

No. Just no

Two ideas

1. Split the (A) line into three branches summer weekends only 8am-8pm.  Lefferts will be happy they will have an express so the longer waits wouldn't be a big deal to them.

2. Extend every other (C) from Euclid to Rockaway Park summer weekends only 8am-8pm.

Interesting. The (N) is running via the (D) in both directions. I think it due to preparation for the rehabs 

N.png Trains run via the D.png in both directions between Stillwell Av and 36 St

R.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekends, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jul 17 - 20  •  Jul 24 - 27  

No N.png trains at 86 St, Avenue U, Kings Hwy, Bay Pkwy, 20, 18 Avs, Fort Hamilton Pkwy and 8 Av.

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png
shuttle_bus.png buses run between Stillwell Av and 59 St, making all stops.

R.png trains provide alternate service between 59 St and 36 St.

• Transfer between N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Stillwell Av or New Utrecht Av/62 St.
• Transfer between R.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses  at 59 St.
• Transfer between R.png and N.png trains at 36 St.

For most of the weekend, southbound (F) trains are running via 53rd St/8th Av all the way from Roosevelt Av to Jay Av.

However, there's this short little G.O. in the interim: 

f.png Coney Island-bound trains run via the m.png from Roosevelt Av to 47-50 Sts

Late Evening, 9:45 PM to 11:45 PM, Friday, Jul 17

Trains run express from Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza.

No Coney Island-bound f.png service at 21 St-QueensbridgeRoosevelt Island,
Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St.

---------------------------------

Normally I'd see no point in having such a short G.O., but it means 2 more hours of work being done at Lexington Av-63 St, it's well worth it. I'm amazed at how the station renovation still isn't done. I know having to maintain (F) service through the station impairs work, but still. 
Edited by Mysterious2train

---------------------------------

Normally I'd see no point in having such a short G.O., but it means 2 more hours of work being done at Lexington Av-63 St, it's well worth it. I'm amazed at how the station renovation still isn't done. I know having to maintain (F) service through the station impairs work, but still. 

Right. I mean what are they doing that it takes YEARS?

A.png Trains run via the F.png between W 4 St and Jay St-MetroTech in both directions

Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 7 - 10  •  Aug 14 - 17

Trains run local between W 4 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle in both directions.

No A.pngC.png service at Spring, Canal, Chambers, Fulton and High Sts.

For Spring, Canal, and Chambers Sts, take the E.png instead. Transfer between trains at W 4 St.

For Fulton St, take the J.png instead. Transfer at Delancey/Essex Sts or use the E.png
at nearby World Trade Center E.png Station.  

For High St, use the nearby York St F.png Station instead.

C.png Trains run via the F.png between W 4 St and Jay St-MetroTech in both directions

Weekends, Saturday and Sunday, Aug 8 - 9  •  Aug 15 - 16

No A.pngC.png service at Spring, Canal, Chambers, Fulton and High Sts.

For Spring, Canal, and Chambers Sts, take the E.png instead. Transfer between trains at W 4 St.

For Fulton St, take the J.png instead. Transfer at Delancey/Essex Sts or use the E.png
at nearby World Trade Center E.png Station.  

For High St, use the nearby York St F.png Station instead. 

I guess they will start the fix and fortify at the Cranberry Tubes. 

The first weekend in August there won't be NO (3) service and the (2) is out between 96th and 180th, (4) is extended to New Lots all weekend and the (5) will run in two sections. I wonder if they will dip into the (3) line's fleet to make service on the (4) line, as y'all know sometimes they use the (4) line's cars on the Bowing Green -149th portion of the (5)...

Hmm, the Lexington Avenue line southbound's going to share the same track the whole way on the weekend in a few weeks... and before anyone asks, the (5) won't be running.

4.png Crown Heights-bound trains run local from 125 St to 14 St-Union Sq 

Weekends, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Aug 15 - 17  •  Aug 22 - 24 

• Please allow additional travel time. 

Note: The downtown platform at 103 St is closed for renovation.

6.png Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains skip Astor Pl, Bleecker St, Spring St and Canal St 
Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 14 - 17  •  Aug 21 - 24 

For service to these stations, take the 6.png to Brooklyn Bridge and transfer to an 
uptown 4.png local or 6.png

For service from Astor PlBleecker and Spring Sts, take the 4.png or 6.png to 
14 St-Union Sq and transfer to a downtown 4.png or 6.png

For service from Canal St, take the J.png instead. 

Right. I mean what are they doing that it takes YEARS?

Taking the false walls down on the platforms, all the orange tiles on the walls, re-do the platforms, fix the escalators, put up new tiles on the walls, and replacing the elevator. They're basically trying to make a new station.

Edited by paulrivera

Taking the false walls down on the platforms, all the orange tiles on the walls, re-do the platforms, fix the escalators, put up new tiles on the walls, and replacing the elevator. They're basically trying to make a new station.

Nice. At first i thought they were just going to take down the false walls and call it a day , but I can see the progress being made.