Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Far rockaway said:

How would (M) trains switch over to the express tracks on 6th av line when its going to the 145th st station.

They'll likely cross at 34. It's D20 in both directions, unlike if you did W4 or a combo of Bway Laff and W4. 

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

They'll likely cross at 34. It's D20 in both directions, unlike if you did W4 or a combo of Bway Laff and W4. 

Also, they'd probably want to avoid the early/late switch to handle the (L) crowds (assuming all four tracks are in service).

On 7/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, Around the Horn said:

My question is: is there an (M) to 145th Street program?

To try and clarify a bit more 

There are (M) to 145 programs but I think they're all spliced just like the (E) to 168 and (M) to 96.....I know this because I was able to hear some sample recordings of the announcement from social media. 

5 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

To try and clarify a bit more 

There are (M) to 145 programs but I think they're all spliced just like the (E) to 168 and (M) to 96.....I know this because I was able to hear some sample recordings of the announcement from social media. 

A buddy of mine just checked and it appears that it announces (M) to 145, but we'll see soon enough. 

On 7/18/2019 at 3:05 AM, paulrivera said:

The Yankees will be in town, but the games are at night, and there's a dying need to get this done:

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Aug 3, Saturday, 5:45 AM to 1 PM
Aug 4, Sunday, 5:45 AM to 4 PM
(4) Woodlawn-bound trains run express from 167 St to Mosholu Pkwy in the Bronx 

Only to Mosholu? Weird.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Only to Mosholu? Weird.

It happens sometimes...

59 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

However riders are able to get off at 161 St for Yankees baseball games.

The games are a non-factor since the games are at night.

36 minutes ago, KingsbridgeKid2532 said:

Select D express trains use the crossover just south of 161

Rush hours when the Yankees are playing at night, yes.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Yeah but when are they going to close up the gigantic pit in the middle of 59th Street for the elevator installation? There's still a massive hole with sunlight coming down to track level.

Edited by Around the Horn

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why does the (Q) do so better on the weekends? Is it because it’s the sole line for a good portion of its route? 

3 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(Q) doesn't go through the 4 Av line disaster the Brighton line is so smooth.

The (Q) also runs slightly more trains (significantly more trains if there are no GO's) than the (N) and (R).

3 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Even (D) runs better than them.

Southbound out of 205th/Bedford Park, yes.

Northbound out of Stillwell... not so much. 4th Avenue takes up a lot more time than it should. Sometimes there'd be some weird dispatching at 36th and at DeKalb and trains just end up randomly sitting for up to 5 minutes.

4 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

4th Avenue takes up a lot more time than it should. Sometimes there'd be some weird dispatching at 36th and at DeKalb and trains just end up randomly sitting for up to 5 minutes.

Now that the (N) is on the local tracks from 36th to 59th, there are a lot of times where (D) and (N) trains both arrive at 36th northbound at the same time and both sit in the station for a while and times where (N) and (R) trains both approach the switch southbound at the same time and both just crawl until one of them gets the lineup and it messes up all three lines especially in rush hour.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Now that the (N) is on the local tracks from 36th to 59th, there are a lot of times where (D) and (N) trains both arrive at 36th northbound at the same time and both sit in the station for a while and times where (N) and (R) trains both approach the switch southbound at the same time and both just crawl until one of them gets the lineup and it messes up all three lines especially in rush hour.

Happens all the time. They will even send 2 (R) trains ahead to 36 Street before letting the (N) get in the conga line. The (D) gets a better deal out of the current arrangement and it would be merging with the (N) either way, but now the (D) can wait in station instead of being stuck at the ramp going down to 36 Street.