Planned Subway Service Changes

Maybe it's best not to post my opinions on these topics. I see how it is.

Then what pray tell would you do to keep service running while also maintaining the system to provide said service? There's no way you could always have both. There will have to be times when certain lines have to be shut down because it just isn't possible to run service while also performing maintenance work.

Break it up.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saying, but hey, it's not like they're eliminating ALL the service on those lines leaving people stranded.

There's shuttle buses too; they're not non-existent.

Just leave early and you'll get wherever on time.

(Even though I never have rode a shuttle bus myself excluding the (A) shuttle during Sandy...  :rolleyes:)

Just saying, but hey, it's not like they're eliminating ALL the service on those lines leaving people stranded.

There's shuttle buses too; they're not non-existent.

Just leave early and you'll get wherever on time.

(Even though I never have rode a shuttle bus myself excluding the (A) shuttle during Sandy...  :rolleyes:)

Just looking out for the common man. I've only rode one shuttle bus outside of the Rockaways shuttle buses. The (1) shuttle from 125th Street.

Break it up.

It's already broken up. How else do you want to schedule it? Move some of these services changes to the weekdays? Oh wait. They're already working the middays, and service at night is horrible too with all the flagging!

You're in America. You don't simply give up to the tyranny of the majority, but I guess that's what most folks do nowadays. Yes, I will bash you for your opinions, but I'll respect you more if you didn't cave in to other people's opinions so easily.

Just looking out for the common man.

The common man is being screwed over by the government withholding funding from public transportation. You'll see things happen as lot faster instead of this fix-as-things-break policy if more money went into the system.

You're in America. You don't simply give up to the tyranny of the majority, but I guess that's what most folks do nowadays. Yes, I will bash you for your opinions, but I'll respect you more if you didn't cave in to other people's opinions so easily.

We can have respectful conversations without ''bashing'' me or anyone else for their opinions if you disagree. The reason I said I wouldn't post is because I don't have the privilege of the inside knowledge that most here do. It's not worth the running argument. As an example, I had an idea about (K) service being brought back, but I know how that idea would be received here. End of story.

Break it up.

In general, it's cheaper for the MTA to do it in long blocks and quicker, because the workers don't have to drop everything when a train passes by, and any time lost can easily be made up (whereas if you lose half an hour in a five hour time slot, that's 10% of your time right there).

Just be glad this isn't Chicago, which closes entire lines for up to six months at a time to literally tear everything down and then build it back up.

Just be glad this isn't Chicago, which closes entire lines for up to six months at a time to literally tear everything down and then build it back up.

It's a wonder they don't just build a redundant line nearby. Those long shutdowns ought to incur enough headaches and expenses to justify one.

It's a wonder they don't just build a redundant line nearby. Those long shutdowns ought to incur enough headaches and expenses to justify one.

In some cases, there were redundant lines nearby; the Green Line shutdown in the '90s was very close to the southern Red Line, which coincidentally shut down last year for six months for the exact same repairs. Considering they were able to remove all the slow zones, demolish and rebuild the platforms, replace the entire track bed, clean and repaint all the stations, and make every station on the line ADA accessible, I'd say that the benefits are pretty worth the drastic consequences. The Forest Hills elevator project has been going on for how long now?

Bus service in Chicago is also much faster than it is here, so that might be why people respond better (you can just take a bus to another connecting line downtown).

You can pick two out of three: Service runs fine, Service runs 24/7, and MTA fixes 30 years' worth of maintenance backlog so that service continues to run fine. You don't stop going to the dentist because it's painful and you don't like it.

Actually, you can't even pick two. Systems that shut down every night also have weekend GO's. This weekend, for instance, the London Underground website shows outages on the Central line for six stops, on most of the Metropolitan line northwest of Wembley Park, on the Piccadilly line for seven stops, on the entire Edgware branch of the Northern line, and on a segment of the DLR.

Line shutdowns are unavoidable. In fact, we're fortunate to have express tracks and reroute options that often allow some semblance of service to continue running, where other systems would have to shut down.

There's nothing wrong with posting your opinions, but don't be surprised if others disagree.

Just looking out for the common man.

Who do you think benefits from adequate system maintenance?

We can have respectful conversations without ''bashing'' me or anyone else for their opinions if you disagree. 

Nobody's bashing you.

Yes, I will bash you for your opinions

Actually, Andrew............

There's nothing wrong with posting your opinions, but don't be surprised if others disagree.

I have no problem at all with people disagreeing. Everyone agreeing would make it boring. It seems as though at times only one side of the topic is considered(see the Wood).

Weekends of May 2 and 9: Franklin Av Junction outages: (2) busing Flatbush-Franklin, (3) line suspended with buses south of Franklin and to 148.

During the (7) 74 St suspensions LIRR will cross honor, but only Woodside-Penn, not Flushing.

Changes for the Flushing Line Outages:

On the weekend of May 2, instead of there being no service west of 74 St-Broadway, 7 trains will terminate once again at Queensboro Plaza. That has been rescheduled to May 31-June 1. Work planned for the weekend of May 17 has been cancelled entirely. 7 trains will run normally that weekend. A couple of other changes are in place for later this fall and into next year.

Details here.

Weekends of May 2 and 9: Franklin Av Junction outages: (2) busing Flatbush-Franklin, (3) line suspended with buses south of Franklin and to 148.

The SBS bus lanes should help this shuttle out. I saw tweets about the Astoria line shuttle being horrible. Why doesn't the MTA suggest nearby bus routes as an alternative? Instead of everyone cramming on the shuttle bus they can take nearby, parallel bus routes, or routes that take users to other subway lines which would even out passengers and increase utility of existing service.

For example with this (2) shuttle, riders can use the B44, B43, B41, B103, etc.

The SBS bus lanes should help this shuttle out. I saw tweets about the Astoria line shuttle being horrible. Why doesn't the MTA suggest nearby bus routes as an alternative? Instead of everyone cramming on the shuttle bus they can take nearby, parallel bus routes, or routes that take users to other subway lines which would even out passengers and increase utility of existing service.

For example with this (2) shuttle, riders can use the B44, B43, B41, B103, etc.

They do sometimes. Didn't they advise people to use the M4 (or something) during the Washington Heights/Inwood FasTraks?

Most times though, they don't want people to overburden local routes, particularly if it's a midsegment service disruption. Best to segregate the normal passengers from the subway overflow.

I read the G.O poster they have it for it today while heading to work. Shit gonna be bad...

(2) trains are only going to Franklin Av (dunno how they are gonna turn back) and (4) trains are only going to Atlantic Av. There's gonna be 3 different shuttle buses...

1. All (2) Stops from Franklin Av to Flatbush Av

2. Local (3) stops from Franklin Av to Utica Av ONLY

3. Nonstop between Franklin Av and Utica Av, then all (3) Stops from Utica Av to New Lots Av

They did this G.O. a few years back since I was in Brooklyn that weekend. Problem was, they had both the (2) and the (3) turning at Franklin Av which resulted in many delays. I remember well 'cause I was on a (3) and we were held in Eastern Parkway for about a good ten minutes.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

There's gonna be 3 different shuttle buses...

1. All (2) Stops from Franklin Av to Flatbush Av

2. Local (3) stops from Franklin Av to Utica Av ONLY

3. Nonstop between Franklin Av and Utica Av, then all (3) Stops from Utica Av to New Lots Av

Good day for some shuttle bus fanning.