Planned Subway Service Changes

This is new:

5.png Trains replace the 4.png in Manhattan and Brooklyn 

Weekend & Holiday, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Mon, Feb 15 - 17 

5.png trains make all 4.png stops in Manhattan and Brooklyn as follows: 

Days: Service operates between Dyre Av and Utica Av

Late Nights: Service operates between Dyre Av and New Lots Av 3.png, making local stops. 

Note: No 4.png service during this time.

I think this may be the first time in a while the (5) has gotten priority over the (4) or the (2). Of course, this is probably due to the Jerome Avenue shutdown in place (not listed yet).

The work is probably takin place between the around the 149 St area on the  (4) Line. I think the (5) headways would be increased during that (4) shutdown.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why the (J) runs express between Myrtle and Marcy for, aside from the skip-stop period.

In the morning, it reduces conflicts with the (M) at Myrtle by pushing them down the line (where an (M) can be held at a station while a (J) passes), similar to how the (4) runs express south of Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. I'd assume they have it in the afternoon for simplicity of service patterns, becuase there's no advantage other than slightly faster travel for an EB (J) as it still has to cross paths with the (M) at the level junction.

I think this may be the first time in a while the (5) has gotten priority over the (4) or the (2). Of course, this is probably due to the Jerome Avenue shutdown in place (not listed yet).

So after thinking about this GO for a few days, I finally realize this really is a pretty good idea. The only reason why I'm saying this is because Jerome/Mosholu won't have no access since the entire Jerome line (excluding 138-GC) will be shut down. And using Unionport's equipment as (5) 's instead of as (4) 's does make alot of sense, not to mention that some (5) trains are also stored at Livonia. The only negatives is that East 180th-149th/GC will get more service overnight, but its only a minor one.

Silly me.  :lol:

Edited by RollOverMyHead

This was a change-up, as the (C) originally was supposed to go to 2nd Av. But they apparently changed it to avoid confusion with all the merging between there and W4.

This is a new and unique setup. Never heard of trains scheduled to terminate on the other side of Chambers St. (track 4).

New station rehabs:

Q.png Coney Island-bound platforms at Parkside Av, Beverley Rd and Cortelyou Rd
     are closed for renovation

All times, beginning 11:45 PM Friday, Feb 21 until early Summer

For service to these stations, take the Q.png to Church Av or Newkirk Plaza and
transfer to a Manhattan-bound Q.png.

For service from these stations, take the Q.png to Church Av or Prospect Park and
transfer to a Coney Island-bound Q.png.

and a Brighton shutdown:

Q.png No trains between Prospect Park and Stillwell Av
D.pngF.pngN.png trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekends, 10:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Feb 28 - Mar 3  •  Mar 7 - 10

Q.png service operates between Ditmars Blvd*/57 St-7 Av and Prospect Park.

*service is extended to Ditmars Blvd because of the 7-line outage between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq.

N.png No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd 

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Weekend, 5:45 AM to 6 PM, Sat and Sun, Feb 15 - 16 

N.png Service operates between Stillwell Av and Queensboro Plaza
shuttle_bus.png buses make all stops between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd

• Transfer between N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Queensboro Plaza

Station Shuttle Bus Stop
Queensboro Plaza  7.png N.png Queens Plaza South at 27 St
39 Av 31 St at 39 Av
36 Av 31 St at 36 Av
Broadway 31 St at Broadway
30 Av 31 St at 30 Av
Astoria Blvd 31 St at Astoria Blvd (to Ditmars Blvd)
31 St at Hoyt Av North (to Queensboro Plaza)
Ditmars Blvd 31 St between Ditmars Blvd and 23 Av
Edited by GojiMet86

Looking at the schedules on Tripplanner for this weekend: The (5) is (supposedly) running regular 12 minute headways while the (4) is not running. If that's true, that's just unacceptable. Everyone in the Bronx might as well say "screw the (D) and screw the shuttle bus" and take the crosstown buses to WPR/Dyre stations because otherwise 149th might be a zoo (it's a new G.O. pattern, so I'll reserve judgment)...

The (4) G.O. is also scheduled for 2/22-23 and 3/1-2....

This is also something that matters. I hate how the (MTA) would just violate their guidelines and therefore slash service to the point of inducing severe overcrowding. The (5) really should run more frequently during this GO to prevent loads from raising well above. The Lex is the busiest of all corridors in the entire system and they are seriously going to run the (5) every 12 minutes instead of at least 7.5 minutes? Looks like we going to have to deal with crushloaded (5) trains in the Bronx and Manhattan (as well as crushloaded (D) trains in the Bronx and Manhattan).

All planned shutdowns have been canceled this weekend EXCEPT for the (7) north of Willets Point. Monday on that one will probably be messy.

There was a (Q) south of Prospect Park outage scheduled at the end of the month, but that appears to have been pulled.

With all these snowstorms, arctic blasts and polar vortexes, I have a feeling it's going to be a bad spring in terms of service disruptions. I'm sure that most of this work can't be FASTRACKed away or simply done during overnight hours. Speaking of which, how many FASTRACKs have been truncated or outright cancelled because of the weather so far this year?

There was a (Q) south of Prospect Park outage scheduled at the end of the month, but that appears to have been pulled.

Q.png No trains between Prospect Park and Stillwell Av 

D.png F.png N.png trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service 

Weekends, 10:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Feb 28 - Mar 3  •  Mar 7 - 10 

Q.png service operates between Ditmars Blvd*/57 St-7 Av and Prospect Park.

You were saying?