Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Rounding out this month's service suspensions:

(5) - E 180 St to Bowling Green (7/19, 7/26)

(7) - Queensboro Plaza to Times Sq (7/19)

(A) - 168 St to 207 St (7/19)

- 80 St to Lefferts Blvd (7/26)

(C) - 145 St to 168 St (7/19)

(G) - Nassau Av to Court Sq (through Sept. 2)

(N) - Queensboro Plaza to Times Sq (7/26)

(R) - Queens Plaza to DeKalb Av (7/26) [service runs via 6th Avenue/53rd Street]

• 1 month later...

N.png Trains run via the R.png in both directions between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Canal St

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Sep 20 - 22

Trains stop at DeKalb Av, Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Sts and City Hall.

• Please allow additional travel time.

Q.png Trains run via the R.png in both directions between DeKalb Av and Canal St

Trains stop at Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Sts and City Hall.

This will be interesting to see if the new equipment in the tubes will be ready for more frequent headways. Hopefully it will not screw up.

N.png Trains run via the R.png in both directions between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Canal St

Trains stop at DeKalb Av, Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Sts and City Hall.

Q.png Trains run via the R.png in both directions between DeKalb Av and Canal St

Trains stop at Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Sts and City Hall.

This will be interesting to see if the new equipment in the tubes will be ready for more frequent headways. Hopefully it will not screw up.

Great heads up. I'm going to take the (D) all weekend then.

I think it will, but it's sure gonna be a good test run for that new equipment. Before Sandy when they ran that GO it was usually pretty smooth. After and before the big closure when they ran it, forget it. Took me an hour one night to get from Atlantic to Cortlandt.

I think it will, but it's sure gonna be a good test run for that new equipment. Before Sandy when they ran that GO it was usually pretty smooth. After and before the big closure when they ran it, forget it. Took me an hour one night to get from Atlantic to Cortlandt.

The R160s perform superbly in the Montague Street tubes better then the R46 cars. The R160 cars are smaller then the conventional 75' car also they have a higher acceleration rate. That means R160s can nail the tight S curves in Downtown Manhattan at a slightly higher speed then R46 cars. Also it gives the T/O the ability to clear timers faster. Thats what I've noticed since the tubes were reopened.

On another note it seems they shut off two timers on the Brooklyn bound so in that direction the trains now actually run faster then before the tunnels were shut down. Two GTs then a straight shot into Court Street from Whitehall. The ride is incredibly smoother too with epoxy tie panels. Not a bumpy ride as was before.

Edited by realizm

When the (N) and (Q) cross over the bridge, they're *generally* still running express between Canal St and DeKalb & Atlantic. City Hall, Cortlandt, Rector, Whitehall, Court and Jay are all still *generally* considered as local stops anyway (since the local tracks continue through those stops mention). All they could say is both trains are running local between Canal St and DeKalb & Atlantic instead of "via the (R) line" or "via the Montague Street Tube" (including the automated announcements on both lines). But whatever.

Edited by RollOver

The R160s perform superbly in the Montague Street tubes better then the R46 cars. The R160 cars are smaller then the conventional 75' car also they have a higher acceleration rate. That means R160s can nail the tight S curves in Downtown Manhattan at a slightly higher speed then R46 cars. Also it gives the T/O the ability to clear timers faster. Thats what I've noticed since the tubes were reopened.

On another note it seems they shut off two timers on the Brooklyn bound so in that direction the trains now actually run faster then before the tunnels were shut down. Two GTs then a straight shot into Court Street from Whitehall. The ride is incredibly smoother too with epoxy tie panels. Not a bumpy ride as was before.

I noticed that too with the R160s on the (R). They handled that curvy line from City Hall to Whitehall very well. The longer R46s have a toughed time with that route. I gotta admit I really preferred the 160s over the 46s on the (R), but because the (F) has the bigger crowds, it really needs them more.

You cannot short turn a line at a station on tracks that have through service at the same time. And before anyone says that the (5) short turns at Bowling Green outside of both rush hours and middays, well, that's because ridership in the Brooklyn IRT is relatively low and to avoid running more than 18 tph on weekends.

The (R) cannot be increased due its merging with the (N) and (Q), and that more people will dump it for the expresses during daytime hours.