New York Rapid Transit History

Harry

Name: New York Rapid Transit History

Category: Subway

Description: These are questions on the history of New York City subway rolling stock, stations, infrastructure, fare control, yards, routes, signals, construction, revenue service and how they changed the way New Yorkers traveled. The time period covered in this quiz are between 1904-2000.

Difficulty: Hard

Click here to take this quiz!

I labeled this quiz "Hard" for a reason. I didn't expect many people to score high on this quiz and if they did it was from some very lucky guesses. Most of the questions came from books and a few from some articles available on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I labeled this quiz "Hard" for a reason. I didn't expect many people to score high on this quiz and if they did it was from some very lucky guesses. Most of the questions came from books and a few from some articles available on the internet.

Sounds like Physics class in a nutshell.

• 1 month later...

Wait a minute, somethings up with one of the questions , the one of the Staten Island Railway, the real answer isnt there, the lines that were eliminated were the North Shore and South Beach lines, isnt it? Cuz, none of the options say that.

I agree... I've checked a couple of different resources on this one and it should have been the North Shore and the South Beach, which wasn't an option on the quiz.

Otherwise, a nice test - I was foiled by answering the automated train question too quickly. Clicked on the GCT/TS Shuttle and never looked back. Sucker...

You know your right, I got that question wrong too because I thought it was the North Shore/South Shore branches too on the SIR question but no selection for it. No biggie it ain't that serious, it was an entertaing test. If only I got that question right I could have got a 90% instead of an 80%. But the 80 is good enough so I'll just cut my lossed and take the 80%.

I think Harry could be right, definitely right on the money with the available choices. The right answer he's looking for can be in an old school book that is not available on the net and we all just happen to miss it. That curveball of a hard question he threw at us . Like I was saying his test was stupid hard to me. I can only imagine how the train operator test he set up must be like. Even harder.

I'm gonna take that one too. I just need to read up more leisurely on the dynamics of the powerhouse of some of these trains and the science of correct T/O operation, in my spare time.

Archived