Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

Got myself a battery backup system over here, so bring on the Sandy.

I'm PRAYING that they don't call me in out of the blue because of a router or server problem bringing down the network because of this storm.

Just because you said that, now it will happen :P

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Another hurricane to hit - expect Grand Central Terminal to be empty when Sandy makes landfall. Oh my...

Now you don't have to expect GCT to be empty as it will be closed and yes, the Apple store too. Any time service is suspended the cops make sure everyone is gets out of the station and locks the doors.

This question has probably been answered before but I'll ask anyway: When the transit system shuts down, how would the employees get home? Do they run OOS employee shuttles or do they have to hunker down at a terminal/yard/depot/etc.?

I can only speak for Metro North. When service was suspended for last year for Irene, the last passenger trains departed at the prescribed time. After that, there were employee trains that ran every hour or two up the lines to get the employees home. After that GCT is only staffed by a bare minimum of people including RTC, and other key individuals.

Generally speaking, even though public train service is suspended, that doesn't mean there aren't trains running. There are still inspection trains that run checking tracks, crossing gates, etc.

Generally speaking, even though public train service is suspended, that doesn't mean there aren't trains running. There are still inspection trains that run checking tracks, crossing gates, etc.

Yeah I was speaking with a collection agent a while back an hr ago or so before logging back in, taking my friend home back into Brooklyn from the Bronx, and she told her that with Irene last year alot of trains (at least with the (D) heading back downtown) did not depart from 205th Street until after 7PM actually. To add: I'm assuming that she was also talking about trains in revenue service

I'm a commuter and am not sure whether I should prepare to work from home or not. Does anyone have news on the Shortline bus service to NYC?

You shouldn't even be thinking about coming in tomorrow. I'm in my office now and a colleague of mine who lives in Yorkville was asking if I heard from our boss and I told her no and that there is no way that anyone can get into the tomorrow even folks like her that live here in the city because everything will be shut down. They don't want people out in this hence why they're shutting down service. Heed the advice and work from home!! I'm doing what I can now here in the office to get some things done for clients I have on the West Coast and then after that I'll be transferring some folders to a stick and heading home. I picked up some more grub from Whole Foods today, so I've got enough food (blueberries, brussel sprouts and such) to last me for a few days and plenty of Perrier and Volvic.

I know some of you dont like them but have not heard anything about "Wall Street" aka NYSE? Any word if 'business" will occur despite fact thousands of employees cant get to work now?

They're going to be forced to shut down the entire financial district because they're saying that Battery Park City will be flooded, which isn't too far from the Wall Street area. At this point the only folks that will be forced to come in are city workers.

Yep just stocked up on goodies myself.

I have to say that both today and yesterday the Whole Foods I went to was well stocked. There was plenty of Perrier left, though they had very little San Pellegrino and bottled water was still available in certain brands so I picked up three bottles of Perrier which should be more than enough since I already have some at home. The lines were incredible though. One line went almost to the back of the store. I got lucky and found another shorter line and got out in about 10 minutes. :lol:

I'm a commuter and am not sure whether I should prepare to work from home or not. Does anyone have news on the Shortline bus service to NYC?

I would recommend working from home, but according to Shortline, the only advisory is up in Binghamton/Ithaca: http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ftr.serviceadvisories.asp

If you want to confirm, you can contact them at 800-631-8405 (toll free) or 201-529-3666.

http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ftr.contactus.asp

This question has probably been answered before but I'll ask anyway: When the transit system shuts down, how would the employees get home? Do they run OOS employee shuttles or do they have to hunker down at a terminal/yard/depot/etc.?

You either walk, drive, carpool with your coworker, or just camp out and wait until everything is running again

And so the disruptions begin...

"Due to Hurricane Sandy 3.png train service will operate between the New Lots Avenue Station and the 96 Street Station, then along the 1.png line to 137 Street-City College Station in both directions,

Free shuttle buses will replace 3.png train service between the 135 Street Station and the Harlem-148 Street Station.

Please expect delay in 1.png and 3.png train service at this time."

Yeah I couldn't believe how many buses are still out there right now. I got a ride home (rather than paying us hours upon hours of overtime for staying, supervision is doing their best to get RTO employees home as early as possible) but I easily could have done my bus commute home.

They closed Lenox early because they were sealing the portal. The half trip I did on the (1) tonight was quite possibly the lightest run I've ever done. Even the midnight jobs I worked saw more action than that!

Archived