Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if the new station is out of commission, would they reopen the old loop station? *Obviously as a last resort, not like they probably would.

NO! South Ferry loop is no longer a customer station. The CCTV's and gap fillers have been taken out, and we aren't even authorized to operate through there in service anymore. Please don't start with these fantasies, because it won't happen.

The best case scenerio that we are going to get until South Ferry terminal reopens is 1's running to Rector, cleaning out the train, and then running LITE through the loop to go back uptown. But with all the new damage that occured in the tunnels at Cortlandt St, the whole 7 Av line below Chambers will probably be out for a good time. Expect 1's to be turning at 34 or 14 St for a good while (with 2/3's running local).

So, if the new station is out of commission, would they reopen the old loop station? *Obviously as a last resort, not like they probably would.

My understanding is that the loop station is flooded pretty badly too, with the salt water beginning to cause extensive corrosion damage to tracks and switches, electrical lines, platform gap fillers, etc. etc.

There's no real way physically for the water to drain out, unlike say the BMT Broadway line @ Whitehall Street. That flood water that surged in torrents into the station shell can at least drain into the Montague Tunnel. (Not that that's a good thing but just for the sake of discussion.) Thereby indicating the possibility that the South Ferry Loop must be nothing more than a big concrete tub filled with salt water at this stage of the Sandy aftermath.

Edit: Apparently Snowblock is saying that the MTA is not planning to restore it (in so many words), so from his insider information I guess the answer is no.

NO! South Ferry loop is no longer a customer station. The CCTV's and gap fillers have been taken out, and we aren't even authorized to operate through there in service anymore. Please don't start with these fantasies, because it won't happen.

The best case scenerio that we are going to get until South Ferry terminal reopens is 1's running to Rector, cleaning out the train, and then running LITE through the loop to go back uptown. But with all the new damage that occured in the tunnels at Cortlandt St, the whole 7 Av line below Chambers will probably be out for a good time. Expect 1's to be turning at 34 or 14 St for a good while (with 2/3's running local).

relax, I wasn't being serious. (I Should've made a note of that). Not starting anything, just wondering and understood. Rector it is.

All those millions of dollars building that new terminal and now it's completely ruined.

That's if the 2/3 can even get to Brooklyn. I'd rather see the (1) go to Brooklyn though and the (3) cut short, less of a conga line at 96th if you divert just the (2) instead of all the lines..

I think they should restore G service (if not flooded) first with six-car trains. As part of this, I think the G should resume a temporarily extended service from Jamacia-179th Street to Kings Highway. (Basically, the G would operate as a F/G combo for the time being.

the r68/as run in 4 car sets and the AA R46 pairs are all on the (A). So there's no way they're bringing back 6 car trains. You may as well temporarily run 8 car trains.

I'm not sure of anyone mentioned this, but does anybody know on the state of the IND Queens Blvd Line? I rely on it to go to school at Forest Hills, so it's somewhat vital - I could take the Q23, but that bus is crappy, so I use the QBL instead most of the time.

The stations may be open but the subway is closed and farecard machines may not be accessible.

The stations no, but you could access the Metrocard areas... For example, Grand Central was areas outside of those by the subway which I prefer to use. They have Metrocard machines inside of those MetroNorth ticket areas too. Same thing in Penn Station with the LIRR ticket areas IIRC. My card expires after Friday, but I'm calling my card company and requesting a refund for the days I paid for without any use of the card. I mean hurricane or not, I paid for a service which I'm not getting. Like today I wanted to the office but couldn't use my pass.

The stations no, but you could access the Metrocard areas... For example, Grand Central was areas outside of those by the subway which I prefer to use. They have Metrocard machines inside of those MetroNorth ticket areas too. Same thing in Penn Station with the LIRR ticket areas IIRC. My card expires after Friday, but I'm calling my card company and requesting a refund for the days I paid for without any use of the card. I mean hurricane or not, I paid for a service which I'm not getting. Like today I wanted to the office but couldn't use my pass.

And how are people in Westchester County supposed to get to Grand Central to buy a Metrocard? They can take a Bee Line bus to get on an express bus to finish their journey at a closed subway station where they can't buy a Metrocard.

And how are people in Westchester County supposed to get to Grand Central to buy a Metrocard? They can take a Bee Line bus to get on an express bus to finish their journey at a closed subway station where they can't buy a Metrocard.

There are stores that sell Metrocards, don't you know that??? <_<

There are stores that sell Metrocards, don't you know that??? <_<

And where on the website does it list the stores? Right now, the website is frozen on the alerts page so you can't access any other page.

Where to buy Metrocards is NOT apparent.

And where on the website does it list the stores? Right now, the website is frozen on the alerts page so you can't access any other page.

Where to buy Metrocards is NOT apparent.

lol... Usually that information is on the website, but obviously the site isn't fully functional yet. I mean I rarely buy Metrocards from places in my neighborhood (neighborhood stores since I like to use my charge card), but I always remember a few places just in case. The most common places would be supermarkets and most common corner stores. I mean there can't be that many where you're at.

Why would the (1) go to Brooklyn? The 2 and 3 will still be able to go there once the Clark St tunnel gets pumped and the power gets restored. We've done this GO plenty of times:

The 1 runs local from 242 to 42 or 18 and then crosses over to the express to terminate at 34 or 14, and changes ends in the station. The 2 and 3 run express to 96 or 42 and then cross over to the local and continue on Brooklyn. Buses will run between Chambers and South Ferry, or you can change to the (R) at 42. All of that switching is going to cause problems during rush hour, but we're working with what we have here.

lol... Usually that information is on the website, but obviously the site isn't fully functional yet. I mean I rarely buy Metrocards from places in my neighborhood (neighborhood stores since I like to use my charge card), but I always remember a few places just in case. The most common places would be supermarkets and most common corner stores. I mean there can't be that many where you're at.

From the MTA website:

Metro-North Railroad Service Suspension Continues, Repairs Underway to Tracks, Power & Signal Systems Damaged by Hurricane Sandy

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Metro-North is still unable to operate regular service on its Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines.

There is currently still significant damage to many portions of our system. Crews continue to work assessing damage and making repairs to our critical infrastructure.

Major issues include:

• Significant flooding on the Hudson Line resulting in water-damaged substations that cannot provide third rail power, including one that provides power to Metro-North's largest yard and shop at Croton-Harmon;

• Debris along the right of way that needs to be cleared, including a 38 foot boat along the Hudson Line in Ossining;

• Several sections of track along Hudson Line that have been damaged by washouts: One section will require up to 8 rail cars of ballast stone to repair;

• Third rail damage in several areas caused by fallen trees on the Hudson and Harlem lines;

• Damage to the power, signal and catenary lines on the New Haven Line as the result of numerous fallen trees.

Please remember that our goal is to restore as much service as possible as soon as critical repairs have been made and we have determined that it is safe to operate trains. We also must get employees and equipment in place before any level of service can begin.

Until then, Grand Central Terminal and all outlying Metro-North station buildings will remain closed.

I guess nobody told the MTA chairman that there are retail outlets in Grand Central.

From the MTA website:

Metro-North Railroad Service Suspension Continues, Repairs Underway to Tracks, Power & Signal Systems Damaged by Hurricane Sandy

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Metro-North is still unable to operate regular service on its Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines.

There is currently still significant damage to many portions of our system. Crews continue to work assessing damage and making repairs to our critical infrastructure.

Major issues include:

• Significant flooding on the Hudson Line resulting in water-damaged substations that cannot provide third rail power, including one that provides power to Metro-North's largest yard and shop at Croton-Harmon;

• Debris along the right of way that needs to be cleared, including a 38 foot boat along the Hudson Line in Ossining;

• Several sections of track along Hudson Line that have been damaged by washouts: One section will require up to 8 rail cars of ballast stone to repair;

• Third rail damage in several areas caused by fallen trees on the Hudson and Harlem lines;

• Damage to the power, signal and catenary lines on the New Haven Line as the result of numerous fallen trees.

Please remember that our goal is to restore as much service as possible as soon as critical repairs have been made and we have determined that it is safe to operate trains. We also must get employees and equipment in place before any level of service can begin.

Until then, Grand Central Terminal and all outlying Metro-North station buildings will remain closed.

I guess nobody told the MTA chairman that there are retail outlets in Grand Central.

That's pretty stupid if they're closing the entire terminal. The tracks I can see but you've got the entire dining concourse there, along with the Apple store. That is too much revenue for the (MTA) to loose, not to mention that folks couldn't work that day in those businesses. I'll have to see for myself tomorrow if this is true or if they just mean the MetroNorth tracks are closed.

Archived