R211 Discussion

Nova RTS 9147

How, in any way, would less trucks equal more noise?

At any rate, open gangways does not necessarily mean Articulated. Open Gangways are needed if the (MTA) still wants to continue with everything they can before moving towards large expansion. Open gangways takes normally unused space and makes it usable, upping capacity by about 10 percent.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Open Gangways should include the possibility to get between the first 5 cars to the last 5. This would mean that there would be two cabs in the front of the 1st and 6th cars with a passage between sets in between. This would bring back the RFW!

While I strongly support open gangways and would love to see them here, 10% is a large overestimation of how much of a capacity increase they would provide. 

Other systems have already done it. That is where the 10 percent comes from. Maybe 8-9 percent when taking account it would be two sets connected together. By the way, those percentages are per train.

On a line built perfectly straight (Rockaway Beach rehab?), go ahead and use articulated cars.

On nearly every other line, with screeching curves, please spare us the extra noise.

We've actually had articulated cars before. They're not new by any means. Screeching noises are more of an issue with curve radii, and not actually with the cars themselves.

On a line built perfectly straight (Rockaway Beach rehab?), go ahead and use articulated cars.

On nearly every other line, with screeching curves, please spare us the extra noise.

What you hear is a function of the curve radii, superelevation, lubrication, and noise dampening features within the train. If everything else were held constant, the logical place to attack the noise problem is by improving the noise dampening feature. I imagine that most of the train would have to have hollow floors, walls, and doors filled with a sound-absorbing gel for this to work effectively as solid metal is a great conductor of sound.

Yeah, I understand the curve radii. However, I'm under the impression that the section between cars lets in a hell lot of noise, and from my experiences in Lisbon, the soundproofing in that section is often not as secure, and noise leaks into the rest of the train, especially on sharp curves.

Yeah, I understand the curve radii. However, I'm under the impression that the section between cars lets in a hell lot of noise, and from my experiences in Lisbon, the soundproofing in that section is often not as secure, and noise leaks into the rest of the train, especially on sharp curves.

How long have the trains you used been in service? That could be a factor.

Nevertheless, it should not stop a measure that can increase capacity. Even if it is a small amount, the number adds up and could be quite significant. 

That's a matter of construction. In my experiences in Hong Kong the articulated section is not really noticeably noisier. 

Using 75 foot cars along with open gangways would be great as it adds a bit more space for passengers in an entire train (think the number of areas in-between cars that passengers can't ride on) along with the open gangway idea. Coupled with the cost savings, it looks even better. Unfortunaly, the curve radius of some places in the system make the use of such cars to be not so appealing.

So it's decided that 60 is the way to go. I'm fine either way.

On a side note: I'll miss the bevels seen on the bonnets of the 75-footers. Although they can be applied to 60-footers, they will merely be aesthetics on those cars while they served a purpose on the former.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I know from observation. I just realized I forgot to mention how dangerous it was.

And thanks for bringing it up - it didn't really occur to me that this indicates how the system is not built for such cars.

Yeah, the most that the Dual Contract portions of the system could handle (without tunnel modifications like what were done to prepare for the 75 foot cars) is 67 feet. Those could even serve the eastern division as well without issue. The swinging problem would still be there though so that would be the only drawback, though I'm assuming not as much as on the 75 footers.

It seems to me that they are slightly less severe and yet still dangerous, since their trucks are located 10 feet away from the anticlimbers/couplers. That's only 4 inches shorter compared to the distance on the 75-footers. By comparison, current cars on the A division are 7 feet 6 inches, and 7 feet 10 inches for the 60-foot cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaica got this whole order and bumped the R160's to the (D) and concourse bumped the R68's to the (A), but of course this isn't set in stone but Jamaica always got new equipment from 1966-76 R38,40,(some R42's),44/46's, with the exception of the R68/A and R143's

Question I have heard that the R211s will be 75 ft versions of the R179s is that true? I'm pretty it's not true I thought the (MTA) wasn't going to purchase anymore 75 footers because of the problem they have o the BMT eastern division they want to play safe by only purchasing 60 footers

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaica got this whole order and bumped the R160's to the (D) and concourse bumped the R68's to the (A), but of course this isn't set in stone but Jamaica always got new equipment from 1966-76 R38,40,(some R42's),44/46's, with the exception of the R68/A and R143's

I don't think they'd put the hippos on the A simply because it'd be a PITA to constantly change those signs with so little recovery time at 207 St.

I don't think they'd put the hippos on the A simply because it'd be a PITA to constantly change those signs with so little recovery time at 207 St.

I don't see the point in 9-10 trains per hour (west of Rockaway Blvd) during the off-peak and this is me talking from experience as a rider who has been taking the (A) for 5 years in a row now, but we'll see what the (MTA) has to say about the full-line reviews when they release them. Meanwhile, back to the title of this thread.

Archived