Off duty 911 operator saves MTA bus from armed teen

Blitz

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/police-off-duty-911-operator-texts-for-help-saves-bus-from-armed-teen/

"An off-duty 911 operator was not in a position to call emergency dispatchers herself Tuesday when an armed man had her in sight on a Staten Island bus – but she was able to text for help.

At 1:15 p.m., police communications technician Coryse Hercules, 28, saw another passenger’s eyes widen on the Metropolitan Transit Authority S40 bus, as she saw an 18-year-old man seated across from her take a handgun out of his pants and move it to his backpack, police said.

Hercules, who was seated two seats away from the teen on the same side of the bus, also heard the woman across from her whisper to her boyfriend, “He’s got a gun.” The teen then announced, “Calm down. It’s not serious. I carry it for protection.”

Hercules was not convinced that the teen was not dangerous. But she decided picking up her iPhone and calling her co-workers at the dispatch center could mean the teen might get angry and fire the gun, putting her and the other 20 to 30 people on the bus in danger.

So Hercules discreetly texted a friend — police communications technician Stephanie Williams, 24 — who was home at the time. Williams called 911, and passed on exactly the information that Hercules relayed, police said.

Moments later, police pulled over the bus and got on. The teen quickly moved away from his backpack, and police initially directed their attention to a man who was left sitting next to it.

But Hercules soon pointed out the teen who had brought the gun – Raysean Alson of Staten Island. He was arrested and charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon."

Would anyone have done the same??

Another example of "See Something, Say Something" being used against innocent Americans if you ask me. A man with a gun is not a threat unless and until he uses it to commit a crime. Now, I'm not gonna say this guy wasn't a criminal, but if I saw a man with a gun on the bus I'm not gonna report him unless he's doing something wrong with the gun. If he gets on the bus, pays his fare and sits down normally with a gun in his pants that he takes out and STORES AWAY in his big, no normal person would report that just because the man has a gun that's "illegal" in NYC because of our fascist gun laws when he's doing no harm with in and likely has it for self defense. But this is NY, so I guess I can't be surprised. 

Just remember everyone, in other parts of the country where most guns and even open carry are legal, walking around with a gun is considered NORMAL. You're not automatically a criminal if you carry a gun around in NYC, even if guns are "illegal".

Another example of "See Something, Say Something" being used against innocent Americans if you ask me. A man with a gun is not a threat unless and until he uses it to commit a crime. Now, I'm not gonna say this guy wasn't a criminal, but if I saw a man with a gun on the bus I'm not gonna report him unless he's doing something wrong with the gun. If he gets on the bus, pays his fare and sits down normally with a gun in his pants that he takes out and STORES AWAY in his big, no normal person would report that just because the man has a gun that's "illegal" in NYC because of our fascist gun laws when he's doing no harm with in and likely has it for self defense. But this is NY, so I guess I can't be surprised. 

Just remember everyone, in other parts of the country where most guns and even open carry are legal, walking around with a gun is considered NORMAL. You're not automatically a criminal if you carry a gun around in NYC, even if guns are "illegal".

"The suspect already had a record for forcible touching, fare beating, and marijuana possession, police said."

"The suspect already had a record for forcible touching, fare beating, and marijuana possession, police said."

Not only that, but the guy with the gun was 18 when the minimum age to own a gun is 21 in New York State, so thats illegal right there.

Not only that, but the guy with the gun was 18 when the minimum age to own a gun is 21 in New York State, so thats illegal right there.

Nevermind all of that. There is no transit agency in the United States Of America that allows any individual to open carry a weapon on board any of its vehicles, even in open carry states.

I don't give a damn, if he comes on the bus with a gun and I don't see him commit any REAL crime (and no, I don't consider the awful offense of possession of a gun in NYC a crime) I'm not gonna be a good little tattle tale and call the cops when what could be an innocent American citizen is going to be arrested and treated like a hardcore criminal for simply owning a gun that could very well be for SELF-DEFENSE.

Nevermind all of that. There is no transit agency in the United States Of America that allows any individual to open carry a weapon on board any of its vehicles, even in open carry states.

I believe that is due to federal regulations, firearms can't openly be transported on buses.

I don't give a damn, if he comes on the bus with a gun and I don't see him commit any REAL crime (and no, I don't consider the awful offense of possession of a gun in NYC a crime) I'm not gonna be a good little tattle tale and call the cops when what could be an innocent American citizen is going to be arrested and treated like a hardcore criminal for simply owning a gun that could very well be for SELF-DEFENSE.

Eff that, I don't want to sit next to some pimply teenager who's packing, and neither should you. Kids shouldn't be carrying guns, end of. Not about "snitching" (I got a separate rant for that whole culture), about safety...

I didn't even think of that!

SMH.... <_<

Guns as a whole will soon be illegal for the rest of the state in general. Those lawmakers in upstate are having a field day with this issue.

SMH.... <_<

Guns as a whole will soon be illegal for the rest of the state in general. Those lawmakers in upstate are having a field day with this issue.

Not to hijack, but there's a difference between all guns and guns for people with records. Nobody's stopping you from going hunting. Hell, I wanna try it one day. Regardless, great job by the 911 operator, and I hope the young man learns a lesson: trying to be "thug" or whatever it is nowadays isn't worth it.

Also, was the bus an O7 3G?

Not to hijack, but there's a difference between all guns and guns for people with records. Nobody's stopping you from going hunting. Hell, I wanna try it one day. Regardless, great job by the 911 operator, and I hope the young man learns a lesson: trying to be "thug" or whatever it is nowadays isn't worth it.

Also, was the bus an O7 3G?

Who knows, never really get the bus # unless it was in an accident or fire (or flooded).

Love how this thread automatically turned into a gun-violence law type of thread.

Some factors after reading the article.

• - Since there is no picture of the suspect, I can't justify it 100%.  Because in a daily life routine, how can some people 100% identify a person without blatantly check ID that someone is 18.  There are many people I know who are 25 and look 19 and I know a couple of 17 year old's that look 25.  You can't just randomly say oh that guy is 18 without blatantly asking for ID before calling 911, etc.
  • - Yes handguns are banned in NYC and so with rifles, but really just because you see one doesn't necessarily puts the man as a criminal.  Oh but the article says he has priors, really?  You would definitely know that just by looking at the kid without looking him up before calling the cops?  Give me a break.
  • - Another thing, just because guns may be illegal doesn't mean people won't be able to get their hands on guns.  Thus leads that are guns really the danger?  No it's the user.  It's like how I ask people do you blame the car or the driver in a drunk accident?  If you'd blamed the car, I'd see the entire NYC population walking everywhere by now.

Obviously I commend the off duty 911 operator for luckily catching a "criminal" after revealing he is by the cops.  But honestly it was sheer luck in my opinion.  It wasn't as if he was wearing a sign saying he's 18, a criminal in the past wanting to hurt people now.  He just did blatant idiotic move to flash the pistol and move it to his bag.

Hate me on this topic or not, but that's my opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Ok, i'm sorry, I find it really hard to believe that if a kid sitting next to you pulled out a gun, you wouldn't freak out. Let's keep in mind here, it's not someone saying, "Oh, that man left his lunch on the train, let's call the cops", the person was scared for there life. It has nothing to do with See Something, Say Something.

Love how this thread automatically turned into a gun-violence law type of thread.

• - Since there is no picture of the suspect, I can't justify it 100%.  Because in a daily life routine, how can some people 100% identify a person without blatantly check ID that someone is 18.  There are many people I know who are 25 and look 19 and I know a couple of 17 year old's that look 25.  You can't just randomly say oh that guy is 18 without blatantly asking for ID before calling 911, etc.
  • - Yes handguns are banned in NYC and so with rifles, but really just because you see one doesn't necessarily puts the man as a criminal.  Oh but the article says he has priors, really?  You would definitely know that just by looking at the kid without looking him up before calling the cops?  Give me a break.
  • - Another thing, just because guns may be illegal doesn't mean people won't be able to get their hands on guns.  Thus leads that are guns really the danger?  No it's the user.  It's like how I ask people do you blame the car or the driver in a drunk accident?  If you'd blamed the car, I'd see the entire NYC population walking everywhere by now.

Obviously I commend the off duty 911 operator for luckily catching a "criminal" after revealing he is by the cops.  But honestly it was sheer luck in my opinion.  It wasn't as if he was wearing a sign saying he's 18, a criminal in the past wanting to hurt people now.  He just did blatant idiotic move to flash the pistol and move it to his bag.

I know people are going to get on my ass about this, but better safe than sorry. Also, your last bullet has NOTHING to do with this thread. Don't derail it more than it already has.

===============================

I have friends who are as pro-gun as they get, and i'm sure they would be horrified if someone on the bus pulled out a gun, whether they were putting in their bag or not.

===============================

And to answer Blitz's question, I probably would've gotten of two or three stops after the indecent. 

I know people are going to get on my ass about this, but better safe than sorry. Also, your last bullet has NOTHING to do with this thread. Don't derail it more than it already has.

Before you single me out and blame me for derailing, oh wait, you did.  The last bullet was referring to two posts regarding NY's decision to ban guns posted by 2 people above me.  But please carry on.  :rolleyes:

This thread became another one of those gun-violence law threads once a certain someone mentioned how innocent citizens were being subject to fascist gun laws. Not my fault, or the gun-control groups fault, if that's what's being implied.

And why assume he's innocent?

Anyone with a gun in New York should familiarize themselves the laws, and this kid should have known better that an 18 year old is prohibited from buying arms. That should tell straight up that the kid is not some innocent, law-abiding citizen.

Frankly, while this is an interesting story, I don't see why it made it to the news. Off duty cops and corrections officers do this type of thing fairly often and it usually does not make the news. Also, isn't there a way to text the 911 call center directly now? 

Regardless, this guy deserved to get arrested. Only a moron carries a gun in his pants and then moves it to his backpack in full view of people. Those who have concealed weapons permits in New York know how to properly conceal and transport their weapon so that nobody sees it. This kid sounds like a wannabe punk.

Even if they have a permit to carry a gun? I can understand the reason against it, but just wondering if there were exceptions.

I wouldn't have made it known that I was aware of the kid's handgun, that was her biggest mistake, good thing he didn't just get up and shoot her right there on the spot

The one who made it known was the woman whispering to her boyfriend (it kind of defeated the purpose if the guy heard her. LOL)

Frankly, while this is an interesting story, I don't see why it made it to the news. Off duty cops and corrections officers do this type of thing fairly often and it usually does not make the news. Also, isn't there a way to text the 911 call center directly now? 

Regardless, this guy deserved to get arrested. Only a moron carries a gun in his pants and then moves it to his backpack in full view of people. Those who have concealed weapons permits in New York know how to properly conceal and transport their weapon so that nobody sees it. This kid sounds like a wannabe punk.

In a way, I'll agree with that. Flashing a gun in public in NY is one of the stupidest things you can do with the laws we have and the way most cops (and government in general) treat innocent gun owners.

Even if they have a permit to carry a gun? I can understand the reason against it, but just wondering if there were exceptions.

Not even then. It has to do with putting other passengers in immediate danger. Another example would be how passengers cannot transport hazardous materials/substances on the bus, such as gasoline.

Archived