Retired South Ferry Station May Reopen Temporarily

-CT1660-

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two thumbs up, I have to agree with you on this one.

As was discussed to the point it was akin to beating a dead horse before, according to transit worker inside information even though the tracks and signals itself is in good working order for (2) and (5) turnarounds to it's respective IRT trunk lines, the station itself was already dismantled. No booths, no fare collection system in place, platform gates dismantled, and the station has to be modified to ADA accessibility standards. Which is costly and will take several months maybe even up to a year!! But the fact that some officials in the MTA is even considering this says alot because they all well know how much of a gartuntian like engineering effort it will take to rebuild the new South Ferry Station and get it going again in 3 years.

Originally my arguement was to keep the loop closed but every time the MTA has it's press confrences with the media they paint an ever more gloomy picture of what to expect in terms of cost to bring back the new South Ferry Station in 3 years as a projected date. It may even take longer than that. So yes indeed the costs in overhauling the old South Ferry Station are high, but so is the costs of rebuilding the new one without any travel alternatives to the SI Ferry. It's a catch 22 VG8. No matter where the MTA goes with this it's going to hurt our wallets and pocketbooks in terms of tax dollars.

They are even considering shuttle bus service as an alternative, but it is not feasible due to capacity problems, so that's off the table. So they have two options, as we wait for the reconstruction of the new SF station, that will cost us in tax dollars regardless: 1) Do nothing or 2) Overhaul and reopen the old SF loop.

No foamerizm here guys,I am just giving you my usual angry straphanger extremist point of view. Have a nice day.

Yeah but the new South Ferry station can probably be covered from an insurance perspective while the old one may not, so there's less taxpayer dollars being used if any.  That was my point before.  The other issue with that station is you can only access it from the first five cars and so if people are going to complain about capacity they should've seen the crowds at the old South Ferry station.  The Rector street station isn't that far away #1, plus there are alternatives.  If anything I would use monies that they get back from the damaged South Ferry station and enhance bus service on a few lines and call it a day.  It's not like the walk is that far from South Ferry.  When I would take the express bus in, I would just take the X16, get off and walk to Rector St for the (1) to get to my office in Chelsea.  I realize people are disabled and all of that but they could also increase service on the (R) as an alternative to make it more attractive and relieve stress off of the (4) and (5).

I swear, people(not you) keep forgetting that the (R) actually goes there too.....

Bingo. Google Maps indicates a 3 minute walk from Whitehall to the terminal, so I don't see why people are making such a fuss about it. It's not like Bowling Green or Rector, which could take 6-11 minutes to get to.

Bingo. Google Maps indicates a 3 minute walk from Whitehall to the terminal, so I don't see why people are making such a fuss about it. It's not like Bowling Green or Rector, which could take 6-11 minutes to get to.

Bowling Green for those who are able bodied and can walk is about 6 minutes or so and 10 minutes for the slow pokes.  Rector isn't that far either.

Thats why the 2009 South Ferry was opened, to handle more cars. The Old loop can't be extended. Even if it were possible, you will have gaps around.I also heard the fare control was removed.

nope,watch transittransit's halloween-themed episode youll see the anchor WALK RIGHT THRU IT and the camera looks up and you see an exit sign with transfers to the M6,M9,M15

What, can't trek over to 6th Avenue? There are elevators leading to the platform from the streets.

its a long walk, and its even worse if the weather sucks.

You got to be kidding me. It's not that long at all. One block is not a severe pain in the rear.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 2

Yeah but the new South Ferry station can probably be covered from an insurance perspective while the old one may not, so there's less taxpayer dollars being used if any.  That was my point before.  The other issue with that station is you can only access it from the first five cars and so if people are going to complain about capacity they should've seen the crowds at the old South Ferry station.  The Rector street station isn't that far away #1, plus there are alternatives.  If anything I would use monies that they get back from the damaged South Ferry station and enhance bus service on a few lines and call it a day.  It's not like the walk is that far from South Ferry.  When I would take the express bus in, I would just take the X16, get off and walk to Rector St for the (1) to get to my office in Chelsea.  I realize people are disabled and all of that but they could also increase service on the (R) as an alternative to make it more attractive and relieve stress off of the (4) and (5).

From an insurance perspective from the contractor who made it's shoddy construction in the first place, pre-Sandy, Schiavone Construction Co. LLC, yes, that could cover some of it's costs aside from federal funding from FEMA as the result of the hurricane. But keep in mind that the MTA may have to pay some of that overall costs too through it's own revenue from fare collection, not to mention the imposed payroll withholding tax we have to deal with with a pending hike in both that same payroll tax AND fare hike to boot. We know the deal with Albany when they shafted the MTA on millions of dollars resulting in this tax hike in the first place.

You do have a point on Whitehall St on the BMT as it is a viable alternative, a very short walk as one member and a mod just previously highlighted for us, however the ongoing problems with saltwater erosion damage in the Montague tubes will not allow for an increase in service on the (R) anytime soon. Ditto on the (W) being reactivated at all unless a miracle comes down from heaven itself due to budget concerns.

its a long manhattan block which is like the size of 2-3 regular ones. Plus at the end of a long work day who wants to be walking extra. If they can make things easier for people and reopen a shuttered station, why the hostility over them looking into it?

I avoid that transfer at 42nd St from the (A)(C)(E) to the (S) and other lines for that same reason, its an endless transfer passage that goes on and on and on. If im heading down the A and i need to get to grand central I would transfer at 59 St for the (1) and then catch the (S) at 42.

its a long manhattan block which is like the size of 2-3 regular ones. Plus at the end of a long work day who wants to be walking extra. If they can make things easier for people and reopen a shuttered station, why the hostility over them looking into it?

It's a 4 minute walk, tops. A little additional walking never hurt anyone.

Ditto on the (W) being reactivated at all unless a miracle comes down from heaven itself due to budget concerns.

You heard somewhere that they were floating the idea of bringing back the (W)?

Supposedly the (Q) being rerouted to 96/2 will leave Astoria with "inadequate amounts of service", and the (W) will have to be brought back.

Whether there is any truth to that, I do not know.

It's a 4 minute walk, tops. A little additional walking never hurt anyone.

Supposedly the (Q) being rerouted to 96/2 will leave Astoria with "inadequate amounts of service", and the (W) will have to be brought back.

Whether there is any truth to that, I do not know.

I meant that as a tongue in cheek statement guys, as a figure of speech on the point regarding increase of (R) service @ Whitehall as it applies to alternative service to South Ferry! The mention of the (W) being reactivated when 2nd Ave is open for revenue service with the extension of the (Q) (which is a very strong possibility when it opens on the projected date of December 2016)  is another story altogether. 

I avoid that transfer at 42nd St from the (A)(C)(E) to the (S) and other lines for that same reason, its an endless transfer passage that goes on and on and on. If im heading down the A and i need to get to grand central I would transfer at 59 St for the (1) and then catch the (S) at 42.

Oh come on now....even I've seen the elderly and disabled use that passageway. If they can use it, you can use it. That's a pretty poor excuse as to why you don't use it. I'm guessing it's because you are not used to walking around a lot.

And the "long Manhattan block" you speak of, it's 2-in-1.

And I don't know about you, but I see people walk and run to catch whatever trains or connections they need to get at the end of their working day no matter what the distance is....that's a pretty moot point.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 2

Ditto on the (W) being reactivated at all unless a miracle comes down from heaven itself due to budget concerns.

You heard somewhere that they were floating the idea of bringing back the (W)?

The (W) wouldn't solve this anyway. Better off just running some (N) 's via the tunnel for more TPH.

The (W) wouldn't solve this anyway. Better off just running some (N) 's via the tunnel for more TPH.

But again the damage done by Hurricane Sandy on the Montauge tubes (ongoing reappearing saltwater corrosion that forces the signals dept to man the tunnels 24-7 to the minute I write this post)  just will not cut it.  

Besides that, the fact that there is a need for a direct speedy connection to Manhattan Chinatown via 4th Ave Express. The demand is higher then you think.  Ride it during rish hour along the BMT 4th Ave line and you will see the ridership is maddingy high in demand between the commuters from Bay Ridge, Borough Park, Brooklyn Chinatown, etc to Chinatown and 14th Street in Manhattan. The MTA has the (N) running as a Sea Beach Express via bridge skipping Dekalb even in the wake of the 2010 budget cuts for a reason, I just listed it for you sir.

Take the bus then...

lol

A little walking can't do you any harm... cmon you guys. I have a little story to tell:

At 14th street during Sandy, I remember waiting at Union Sq to take the M14A bus down to LES just go give my elderly grandma a few supplies (she refused to move out). Next to me was this old lady who was using a walker and had a hard time getting on the bus, and even had a hard time trying to sit down without letting go of her walker (else she would have fallen.) 20 minute later as we approach the Lower East Side, I remember that lady telling the driver to let her off at Clinton St instead of Pitt St, where she was headed to. She said that she needed to walk and the exercise would be good for her.

If that old lady on the walker could have gotten off the bus one stop before her normal stop and walk all the way back to her home, then I'm damn sure the rest of you people would be able to walk the extra few blocks, no matter how long of a day you had.

Archived