Retired South Ferry Station May Reopen Temporarily

-CT1660-

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe 24 TPH is the limit for a two-track terminal with no tail tracks, assuming no human error and a normal turnaround time. That's usually not the case.

I don't think there's a standard number that applies everywhere - it depends on the exact switch geometry, grades, speed restrictions, etc.

The main benefit of the loop over a terminal with crossovers is that you don't need the train operator to walk to the back of the train, so theoretically you could turn it around as fast as a train at any standard station. The new terminal also has no tail tracks, so trains have to approach it more slowly in case the train might fail to stop and smash into the bumper blocks and/or wall.

In New York, the train operator who brings the train into the terminal usually gets a short break and doesn't bring the same train back out. When headways are short, the outgoing train operator is often waiting to get on the train before it even arrives.

My recollection is that the signals allowed trains to enter the new terminal at 10 mph - the same exact speed that trains are allowed to operate through the sharp curve at the loop station!

Illegal to ride the 5 around? I've done it numerous times some of which the employees knew I was on board and never had a problem. How is it a legality issue compared to riding on the outer 1 track?

that is nonrevenue track-ive seen tourists get on a  (5)  thru the loop police arrested them for trespassing until they understood the tourists thought it was a (4)

that is nonrevenue track-ive seen tourists get on a  (5)  thru the loop police arrested them for trespassing until they understood the tourists thought it was a (4)

By that logic, why isn't it illegal to ride the City Hall Loop. Technically, thats non-revenue track. As well as the South Ferry now. The station's still technically closed. The legality confuses me and if anything, i'll take the (1) from now on...

By that logic, why isn't it illegal to ride the City Hall Loop. Technically, thats non-revenue track. As well as the South Ferry now. The station's still technically closed. The legality confuses me and if anything, i'll take the (1) from now on...

I guess they classify it as revenue track to avoid holding up other trains...

Illegal to ride the 5 around? I've done it numerous times some of which the employees knew I was on board and never had a problem. How is it a legality issue compared to riding on the outer 1 track?

It's all dependent on whether the crew knows if the train is either returning to service after looping around South Ferry or laying up on the inner tracks.

(6) has tight headways and they can't afford to clear out the trains before running around the loop.

The (5) only uses South Ferry Inner during evenings and weekends, when the headways can be quite long, so not only can they spend time clearing out the trains they may be in the loop for a while before returning uptown.

The only time you can ride the inner loop at South Ferry is when the (6) is sent down there. Never have went there on a (5) ever.

As for the station, thanks to R32's video I'm also surprised that the station is still in good condition. Might have gotten minor damages with Sandy.

Out of curiosity, with the (6) trains that go around BB-CH, they all come back in service on the other side, right? Because if it's the morning, you obviously need more trains headed downtown than uptown. Or are headways the same in both directions, and they just turn the excess trains around at 3rd Avenue-138th Street?

Out of curiosity, with the (6) trains that go around BB-CH, they all come back in service on the other side, right? Because if it's the morning, you obviously need more trains headed downtown than uptown. Or are headways the same in both directions, and they just turn the excess trains around at 3rd Avenue-138th Street?

Yes,they come back in service on the other side.

(5) Trains are running via the (2) tonight from 149-GC to Chambers....then it will go to Rector, run through the loop w/ passengers and stop at Bowling Green.....

Source - http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=2&date=2%2f27%2f2013&time=&method=getstatus4

2.png Flatbush Av-bound trains run via the 5.png from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Franklin Av
5.png Bowling Green-bound trains run via the 2.png from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Chambers St 

Late Night, 11:30 PM Wed to 5 AM Thu, Feb 27 - 28 

After Chambers St5.png trains make stops at Rector St and Bowling Green
then continue in service to Dyre Av. 

No Flatbush Av-bound service at Park Place, Wall St, Clark St, Hoyt St, Bergen St, 
Grand Army Plaza and Eastern Pkwy. 

Get them buckets and mops ready! Does this have anything to do w/ the work going on to reopen the loop? SubChat seems to thinks so, which is why I'm posting it here and not on the random thoughts thread....

I can't imagine how the reroute would be connected to the reopening of the loop, unless if they were doing some sort of work to the inner loop (track maintenance seems sensible...)

I fail to see why everyone is saying "get the buckets and mops ready"... the station will be reopened in due course, then people will be able to step onto the platform and photograph everything, instead of shooting a quick pass-by from the train's windows.

(5) Trains are running via the (2) tonight from 149-GC to Chambers....then it will go to Rector, run through the loop w/ passengers and stop at Bowling Green.....

Source - http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=2&date=2%2f27%2f2013&time=&method=getstatus4

Get them buckets and mops ready! Does this have anything to do w/ the work going on to reopen the loop? SubChat seems to thinks so, which is why I'm posting it here and not on the random thoughts thread....

LOL Exaclty what I said in the planned service changes thread

Archived