MTA BusTime Discussion

User

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BM4 has been cut less, I can gurantee that. The BM4 has less ridership and everything than the BM5, but somehow gets more service. Now, if people legitemately used the buses, it would make sense to retain the service (but it isn't, so it's not).

lol... I think you should re-read the ridership stats for the BM4 and BM5... The BM4 has almost 40,000 more riders annually than the BM5, even with it losing over 15,000 riders last year, and has had more ridership than the BM5 for several years now.  Yes, the BM5's ridership has increased but not to the levels to afford it service increases.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_annual.htm

lol... I think you should re-read the ridership stats for the BM4 and BM5... The BM4 has almost 40,000 more riders annually than the BM5, even with it losing over 15,000 riders last year, and has had more ridership than the BM5 for several years now.  Yes, the BM5's ridership has increased but not to the levels to afford it service increases.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_annual.htm

That's annual, which is too vague

On Weekdays, it's suitable, I guess.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

[bM4 has 761, and the BM5 has 618, (for comparisons sake, the QM24 runs rush hours only and has 1171 riders)].

However, the BM4 has 36 runs, and the BM5 has 30 runs (BM4 has 21.14 riders on average per trip, and the BM5 has 20.6 riders on average per trip). However, the weekday runtime is less on the BM5 by a significant amount (70 minutes on the BM5, compared to 80-85 on the BM4). 

On Saturdays, you tell me what happens

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm

The BM4 has 84 riders on Saturdays, and the BM5 has 94 riders

The BM4 has 19 runs (4.42 riders per run). The BM5 has 16 runs (5.88 riders per run). An average BM4 trip is about 80 minutes from end to end. An average BM5 trip is about 75 minutes. 

That's annual, which is too vague

On Weekdays, it's suitable, I guess.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

[bM4 has 761, and the BM5 has 618, (for comparisons sake, the QM24 runs rush hours only and has 1171 riders)].

However, the BM4 has 36 runs, and the BM5 has 30 runs (BM4 has 21.14 riders on average per trip, and the BM5 has 20.6 riders on average per trip). However, the weekday runtime is less on the BM5 by a significant amount (70 minutes on the BM5, compared to 80-85 on the BM4). 

On Saturdays, you tell me what happens

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm

The BM4 has 84 riders on Saturdays, and the BM5 has 94 riders

The BM4 has 19 runs (4.42 riders per run). The BM5 has 16 runs (5.88 riders per run). An average BM4 trip is about 80 minutes from end to end. An average BM5 trip is about 75 minutes. 

The BM5 riders have the BM2 as an alternative.  The BM4 riders tend to be elderly and/or disabled, and with the BM3 being re-routed, that leaves them next to no options once the BM4 stops running.  It was bad enough when the (MTA) cut back the BM4, but then they took the BM3 away from serving the Sheepshead Bay/Gerritsen Beach border near Knapp St.  There is no easy way to access the BM3 because it runs across Avenue X so it's the BM3 or nothing and you can't take a local bus to it either from Gerritsen Beach due to Gerritsen being cut off from Sheepshead Bay throughout most of the neighborhood.  I have been a strong advocate for maintaining the small amount of BM4 service that Gerritsen Beach receives since I have many friends from the neighborhood and know how difficult the commute is from there to Manhattan.  

The BM5 riders have the BM2 as an alternative.  The BM4 riders tend to be elderly and/or disabled, and with the BM3 being re-routed, that leaves them next to no options once the BM4 stops running.  It was bad enough when the (MTA) cut back the BM4, but then they took the BM3 away from serving the Sheepshead Bay/Gerritsen Beach border near Knapp St.  There is no easy way to access the BM3 because it runs across Avenue X so it's the BM3 or nothing and you can't take a local bus to it either from Gerritsen Beach due to Gerritsen being cut off from Sheepshead Bay throughout most of the neighborhood.  I have been a strong advocate for maintaining the small amount of BM4 service that Gerritsen Beach receives since I have many friends from the neighborhood and know how difficult the commute is from there to Manhattan.  

I had a good laugh with this statement. That's like saying to BxM6 riders that they have the BxM10 as an alternative.

I don't know why... It's BM bus not a QM and it's primary purpose should be to serve those in Brooklyn particularly in Canarsie.  Folks in Queens have QM's as alternatives.  

The BM2 isn't even close to being an alternative to the BM5. Have you said the QM15 originally, I would've probably agreed with you a bit (but them again, the BM5 has that amount of ridership with a route with one alternative the whole time, says a lot).

The BM2 isn't even close to being an alternative to the BM5. Have you said the QM15 originally, I would've probably agreed with you a bit (but them again, the BM5 has that amount of ridership with a route with one alternative the whole time, says a lot).

Again, it ends in Canarsie not in Queens... That's my point... And yes you have the QM15...

Again, it ends in Canarsie not in Queens... That's my point... And yes you have the QM15...

You do realize how long the commute is, just to get to 34 street (on the BM2), right?

Besides, of the people that get on the BM5 in brooklyn, most get on at Linden/Elderts, no way you are gonna convince those people to go to the BM2, doesn't matter if it's still an express bus.

The core of this back & forth argument (and for this to have gone on for as long as it has now) is rather silly.....

You two (VG8, Q23) are having a pissing contest over which bus (BM4, BM5) has seen the worst cuts?

What's the debate to be "won" here exactly..... The BM4 is better than the BM5, so the BM5 deserves the cuts more? The BM5 is better than the BM4, so the BM4 deserves the cuts more?

To a spectator here, that's how this back & forth is coming across here.....

• 2 weeks later...

Word from a valuable source: sometime in February will be the launch date.

Welcome to the GPS world lol, at least we will find guys stop playing games on the line by them leaving a couple of mins ahead while you getting killed but the again guys still be doing that from time to time until you see them ahead of you cause bus track tells them to hang back lol.

The core of this back & forth argument (and for this to have gone on for as long as it has now) is rather silly.....

You two (VG8, Q23) are having a pissing contest over which bus (BM4, BM5) has seen the worst cuts?

What's the debate to be "won" here exactly..... The BM4 is better than the BM5, so the BM5 deserves the cuts more? The BM5 is better than the BM4, so the BM4 deserves the cuts more?

To a spectator here, that's how this back & forth is coming across here.....

There is none... He's constantly complaining about how the BM4 should be either cut or re-routed because the BM5 needs more service.  All I'm saying is based on ridership numbers the BM4 carries far more passengers than the BM5 and that his logic doesn't make sense.  

From what I heard, Queen's BusTime will not launch at the same time as Brooklyn like some have said here. Then again, this is all speculation. Good to hear Brooklyn will see it soon though.

This is a BusTime thread. If you're going to keep arguing, take it to the Brooklyn Proposals thread please.

Nope, I'm done.  Was just clarifying...

There is none... He's constantly complaining about how the BM4 should be either cut or re-routed because the BM5 needs more service.  All I'm saying is based on ridership numbers the BM4 carries far more passengers than the BM5 and that his logic doesn't make sense.  

Both of you drop it BM4&5 are both weak just stop. Their policy ain't helping. They are the lowest carrying Brooklyn express routes.

Got excited when I saw an email about a notification for this thread.Im really impatient.Anyone know what progress there has been if any? Are these snowstorms slowing things down?

I'm also impatient. Bus Operators are saying late February, but I havent seen a single ad for Bustime in Brooklyn..except Gleason C40LFs. But nothing for the borough itself like with Manhattan.

Archived