MTA BusTime Discussion

User

I've always found it annoying how a lot of very good transit apps are platform specific, like KickMap.

I've also found it annoying in cases where very good transit apps become abandonware. Please don't let this become abandonware :(

Abandonware?

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm of the opinion that headway maintenance is important on lines with better than 10-minute headways - otherwise, schedule maintenance is important (especially with buses with hourly departures).

Sometime before April 2013.

Brooklyn and Queens probably got them last because they would be the most complex - it's not uncommon to see Brooklyn equipment in Queens and vice versa, and many Queens and Brooklyn routes extend into the other borough.

You mean April 2014...

I don't think it's a matter of being short, they could be trippers where they just do a run or two then go straight to the express routes on that run. I think it's more of a matter of "you can use that bus for the day" instead of going into the depot to swap out a local bus for an express bus. That's how some of the AM trippers work at S.I.

Wouldn't it be cool if it was say later in the evening, and you're on the bus, I'll give routes to make it clearer.

You're on as Southbound B46, You take a look at bustime on your smartphone and see a B35 approaching the Utica Ave. The app knows you're on the B46 bus because of GPS and so it will take your transfer request as legit. You press on the B35 bus icon and select "transfer request". the B35 B/O gets a verbal notification "Transfer desired from southbound B46"

The B35 B/O waits at Utica for a min so that the transfer can be made, the B46 is visible and the next B35 bus is in an hour and so it is really useful and appreciated.

You think that would be possible?

This would probably be difficult to implement - it doesn't seem like BusTime equipment is configured for two-way communications.

At any rate, most transit agencies in the US ideally schedule a pause to allow riders to transfer between infrequent services. Out in Eastern Queens, the Q27 is timed to meet with both the Q46 and Q43 midday, and this is a route that runs extremely frequently.

Wouldn't it be cool if it was say later in the evening, and you're on the bus, I'll give routes to make it clearer.

You're on as Southbound B46, You take a look at bustime on your smartphone and see a B35 approaching the Utica Ave. The app knows you're on the B46 bus because of GPS and so it will take your transfer request as legit. You press on the B35 bus icon and select "transfer request". the B35 B/O gets a verbal notification "Transfer desired from southbound B46"

The B35 B/O waits at Utica for a min so that the transfer can be made, the B46 is visible and the next B35 bus is in an hour and so it is really useful and appreciated.

You think that would be possible?

For starters, How in the world would the information from a passenger (the pressing of the B35 bus icon & selecting of transfer request) get relayed to the driver? The whole thing sounds nice, but the integration makes it infeasible... I'd go as far as to say impossible.....

Even if it were (possible), buses would be more delayed than they already are... You would have at least 1 person selecting "transfer request" at the intersections for just about all the routes that you could xfer to off a given route, where b/o's (with what you're saying) would wait at the appropriate stop...

There is an Apple app called BusBus NYC that works with my IPad. You can pick one route or view all bus routes at omce. Some times it freezes though. There are several others but they don't seem to work.

I know of 2 people that use(d) BusBus, a former colleague & a current acquaintance....

- The acquaintance just told me about it (and the fact that she uses it)..

Never went into what she thinks of it or w/e, and I never bothered to ask, because I don't have no iPad anyway.... I am anti-Apple products, always have been.... Save your strength if you're prompted to ask as to why.....

- The former colleague used to use it, but abandoned it because of the very reason you brought up.... It seldom ever worked when he needed it (for the exp routes, since he lives in SI).... When the acquaintance told me about it (which was before I knew that my former colleague had it too), to me it sounded like a knockoff of Bustime anyway... I initially chuckled when she told me the name of the shit.... BusBus :lol:

• 1 month later...

I disagree... Staten Island has no subways, so it made sense for it to have it first. Living in Riverdale, I was glad that we got it next, along with the Bronx and then Manhattan. Brooklyn needs it badly as well.

To me Queens has the most routes, then they should have worked their way down.

This is how it should have went Staten Island, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan. The reason why Manhattan should have been last because they have many subway alternatives. Queens on the other have mostly unreliable routes that always come late or don't come at all. It's even worst when there little subway coverage.

Can you actually back up that Queens has the worst service? Manhattan's bunching is pretty spectacular.

Anyway, that's not how it works anyway. SI as a testbed, Manhattan for the tourists and the pols/press, they you work out. 

An route example is Q66 it arrives 6 mins rush and 20 min nights and sometimes middays, buses START TO BUNCH AT BOTH MAIN STREET AND 51 STREET SOMETIMES IN THREES. Some Q66 got turned into Q19 because of this. Hey you cant forget the Q38 which has bad schedule but still bunch like crazy. Q44 with college and high school students , some have to unscheduled short turn. AND THE FACT THAT IN QNS WEST OF JAMAICA THE LTD SAVES NO TIME AT ALL. The Q85 suppose to on the timetable arrives in green acres in 30 min but took me 1 hr and 55 mins. The thing is that there is demand for Queens routes, and for some reason thats the borourgh everyone forgets about, even SI has more visitors. EXPECT MAYBE BRONX MAYBE. The testbed was actually B63.

Can you actually back up that Queens has the worst service? Manhattan's bunching is pretty spectacular.

Anyway, that's not how it works anyway. SI as a testbed, Manhattan for the tourists and the pols/press, they you work out. 

Every bus route in Queens bunches at least 3 times a day, guaranteed (I'm talking about Local Bus Routes). Half the routes though bunch 3 or 4 times more than that in a day, and buses brake down as well. Not a good thing overall...

Archived