MTA BusTime Discussion

User

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brooklyn and Queens will both launch (IINM) at the same time January 1st, which I like since no one is really "last". If you haven't noticed the GPS systems are in most of the buses out there.

That's sooner than I thought...

Every bus route in Queens bunches at least 3 times a day, guaranteed (I'm talking about Local Bus Routes). Half the routes though bunch 3 or 4 times more than that in a day, and buses brake down as well. Not a good thing overall...

That is about as far from the truth as you can put it.....

Queens service overall isn't THAT unreliable. Buses bunch, that's a formality in all of the 5 boroughs. Buses come late, that's a formality in all of the 5 boroughs. The over-exaggeration needs to stop.

Queens service overall isn't THAT unreliable. Buses bunch, that's a formality in all of the 5 boroughs. Buses come late, that's a formality in all of the 5 boroughs. The over-exaggeration needs to stop.

This!

inb4CollegePointMan

I agree that that's an over-exaggeration.  I've used a few local bus lines in Queens and have found them fairly reliable.  The Q25 is one of them there in Kew Gardens Hills.

This!

inb4CollegePointMan

On a side note, I must admit the bus fleet maintenance in Queens could be better, but I'm sure many will argue that's also a system wide issue.

OK, I'm in a good mood today, why the hell not.

I'm saying this again: stop talking about shit you don't know about. On that first comment well he's actually right here (I actually ride this shit IRL) but you got no room to talk son. Don't live here, don't ride the buses, don't tell me how our commutes are. I don't tell you how your buses/trains out there in Jurupa are. Also, bus fleet maintenance is only a real shit job at a handful of depots in Queens, hell even people on here who ride these buses over exaggerate "shit maintenance" at JFK and others, hell I'd say some even over exaggerate LGA being a shit depot since a lot of their buses come from the TA and the worst of their fleet just happens to be originally from the TA except for the OG hybrids. Not saying LGA has good maintenance, but you get it.

This!

inb4CollegePointMan

I never exaggerated though. There are reliable routes in Queens that run on schedule like the Q64, Q17, and some others. I said the Q88 is unreliable at times and sometime takes up to 30 minutes for a bus to show up. The Q66 I seen 4,5 buses bunched up before, the Q25/Q34 and Q65 is 50/50. There has been times where I waited for 30 minutes during rush hour for a bus in Flushing. On Saturdays the Q25 is suppose to run every 10 minutes but often you wait about 20-30 sometimes idk why all I know is that the first bus is always packed.

The one who exaggerated was the person who said it took 1 hour and 55 minutes to get to Green Acres on the Q85. I can understand an hour but almost two hours there is no way unless there was a big accident.

The Q66 runs the way it does because of the demand from Flushing, its why it has so many short turns to Woodside. On top of that, Northern Blvd is ALWAYS slammed with traffic.

The Q25/34/65 I have experienced those issues, but not that often. Most people don't realize that traffic and other causes bring up the issues to "unreliable bus service".

Wait, is this like somebody from Jersey lecturing us about Cleverdevices on our own bus system every waking moment of the day?

LMAO....oh my. Kind of sounds like one and the same, doesn't it?

Also, bus fleet maintenance is only a real shit job at a handful of depots in Queens, hell even people on here who ride these buses over exaggerate "shit maintenance" at JFK and others, hell I'd say some even over exaggerate LGA being a shit depot since a lot of their buses come from the TA and the worst of their fleet just happens to be originally from the TA except for the OG hybrids. Not saying LGA has good maintenance, but you get it.

To a certain degree, I agree. But even the newest of the buses at JK and LG have their moments of poor maintenance.

Things like this in the cosmetic sense you just can't explain. But when it comes down to who has much less of a breakdown rate, I would say LG and JK are one and the same.

And coming from someone that actually lives in the surrounding service areas with JK routes, maintenance issues have had their ups and downs, but there are a lot of practices that have never changed since the Green Lines days. In the cosmetic sense, it's a lot worse than their ability to run as most of their buses just run fine, they just look like absolute crap like in the photo below. 3707 looks a lot more older than its supposed to be.

tg1o.jpg

The Q66 runs the way it does because of the demand from Flushing, its why it has so many short turns to Woodside. On top of that, Northern Blvd is ALWAYS slammed with traffic.

The Q25/34/65 I have experienced those issues, but not that often. Most people don't realize that traffic and other causes bring up the issues to "unreliable bus service".

LMAO....oh my. Kind of sounds like one and the same, doesn't it?

To a certain degree, I agree. But even the newest of the buses at JK and LG have their moments of poor maintenance.

Things like this in the cosmetic sense you just can't explain. But when it comes down to who has much less of a breakdown rate, I would say LG and JK are one and the same.

And coming from someone that actually lives in the surrounding service areas with JK routes, maintenance issues have had their ups and downs, but there are a lot of practices that have never changed since the Green Lines days. In the cosmetic sense, it's a lot worse than their ability to run as most of their buses just run fine, they just look like absolute crap like in the photo below. 3707 looks a lot more older than its supposed to be.

tg1o.jpg

In my opinion JFK takes care of their RTS's, D60's and Orion VII 1Gens. But the exteriors of the buses are not so well. Orion VII's have it worst than the RTS and D60's. All those ex NYCT buses they have still have New York City bus on them and I seen a few with previous depot stickers like from KB or ENY. I don't like some of JFK's Orion VII' NG's some of them sound horrible. LGA on the other hand is not that bad they basically are the same as JFK, but there buses are just dirty and they take care of their Orion VII NG's better than the RTS and Orion VII 1Gen's.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately according to this it looks like BusTime will not launch on January 1.And they say it will be within the coming year.Not sure what they mean by that.

http://new.mta.info/news-subways-buses-trains-metro-north-lirr-metro-north-christmas-new-years-holidays/2013/12/19/mta

They probably don't want to post about it before it's actually up. Nearly every bus in BK and Qns is equipped with the GPS and AFAIK it will launch on January 1st, but we'll have to wait and see.

The Q66 needs better schedules, it doesn't need an bus beginning at 51 street with another one beginning there also passing it to pick up passengers at the next few stops and the bus from LIC pops up, that is three buses and its almost every day. 

• 3 weeks later...

GPS is online with Brooklyn buses, and lines already being regulated by "big brother" in the Command Center.

We have no timepoints on the 44SBS (between Flushing Av and Flatbush/Nostrand), but apparently I was about 5 minutes ahead, and was called at Newkirk Av & Nostrand a few days ago and was told to kill time at the stand, but I wind up just blowing like a minute and kept it pushing because of the traffic ahead at Flatbush Junction (Flatbush/Nostrand/Glenwoood section). By the time I got through, I was on time at the Junction (mid-timepoint).

So yea.. it's real.

Sweeetttt..... Bus Time has come in sooo handy especially with the cold weather.  When it was brutally cold, I just sat inside, tracked my express bus and walked out from wherever I was, got on the bus and that was it.  Not only that but it helps a ton when you need to transfer from one bus to another, so in short it makes commutes much smoother.  I think you'll also see bus performance improve in terms of timeliness once all boroughs have it.  They'll have no excuse as to why buses are hot, which is my biggest pet peeve particularly when some buses only run every 30 minutes to an hour.  The (MTA) has advertised Bus Time as something that allows passengers to spend less time waiting and something that they can use to essentially meet their bus and I hold them to that.  Basically I show up 5 minutes before (sometimes up to 10 minutes if I'm really early and nothing is open) while I'm tracking the bus. If the bus is earlier than that there's a huge problem.  They should work aggressively to alter run times where necessary as well so that B/O's don't have to spend their time waiting around because now they can see how buses perform in real time with passengers on board, something that they previously didn't do when creating schedules.

GPS is online with Brooklyn buses, and lines already being regulated by "big brother" in the Command Center.

We have no timepoints on the 44SBS (between Flushing Av and Flatbush/Nostrand), but apparently I was about 5 minutes ahead, and was called at Newkirk Av & Nostrand a few days ago and was told to kill time at the stand, but I wind up just blowing like a minute and kept it pushing because of the traffic ahead at Flatbush Junction (Flatbush/Nostrand/Glenwoood section). By the time I got through, I was on time at the Junction (mid-timepoint).

So yea.. it's real.

Lmao they called you too

Archived