Teen Struck, Killed by Subway Train on UWS: Police

trainspot12

From NBC 4 New York

danger+subway+tracks.jpg

A teenager was struck and killed by a subway train at an Upper West Side station while trying to cross the tracks, police said.

The unidentified 17 year old was struck by a northbound 2 train at the station on West 79th Street and Broadway, according to police. 

1, 2 and 3 trains are currently not running between Times Square and 96th Street as police investigate. Northbound 2  trains are running on the 5 line from Nevins Street to 149th Street-Grand Concourse.

Read more at http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Teenager-Struck-Killed-Subway-Train-West-79-Street-Broadway-Number-2-Train-200139891.html

I'm waiting for the lawsuit that I know will be coming. Typical BS when someone decides to go onto the tracks only to be hit by a train, then the family blames the MTA and not their own. Lack of taking responsibility right there.

Young man lost his life on his birthday...

His friends out to have goodtime. 

A couple drinks,for whatever reason decided to run across the tracks. 

He did not make it ....body parts on both tracks.

Now one question..

Where the EFF was his "friends?"

Too add to that im hearing he JUST turned 18???

Oh I see, he was with friends getting drunk and partying. Most likely peer pressure, he probably was dared by his friends to cross the tracks. Very likely. That's alot of the time how serious accidens happen among teens in general over doing stunts just to impress. Like how some kids like to do train surfing for kicks. Peer pressure and the wish to impress others drive kids to do stupid things.

I don't even know where to start. This kid was an absolute moron to think that he could get across four tracks in the rush hour. I've also never heard a 12-9 on the express tracks of a local-only station.

He's a recipient of the Darwin Award alright.

It's happened before. I can remember a few years ago a similar incident at 110 on the (6) where kids were daring each other to cross tracks and one got picked off by an express.

On express tracks you'd never see anyone on them (especially if they're crossing over from an adjacent track) because the columns limit visibility when the train is going that fast. A northbound 2 in that area, because it's an R142 would be doing about 35 MPH...no time to react.

Bunch of idiots, and drunk too no less...involving everyone else in their stupidity...feel bad for the kid's family, but screw his friends. If they were really his friends, they'd have told him it was a bad idea. We've all done dumb things at various points in our lives but either we, or someone around us, at some point just spoke up and said to CHILL - that everyone was getting carried away and it's time to go back to reality and not do something retarded...and we listened and lived to see another day. The best thing that could come out of all of this at this point is those 2 kids sober up and grow up to tell everyone they know to stay the hell off the tracks, because it's just not worth it.

And all the best for the train crew, I know the TO and he's a good guy, definitely didn't deserve this, and having operated through the area on all 4 tracks I already know there's nothing he could have done differently.

I could care less about the DOA, he made a bad choice and paid for it, but now someone else is going though hell because of it. The motorman on the (2) train is a friend of mine and I hope he is able to recover from this. I have no sympathy for people who do stupid shit, I only feel for those who are pulled into the situation while just doing their job.

I know the TO as well good guy this reeks beyond STUPID for them now his so called "friends" have to spend the rest of their lives living with this...

Oh BTW..

The Dead Kid dad is a Nassau County Police Officer just throwing that out there....

The problem is, this is just the more public one of the many times more people do this on a daily basis. This is a tragic "lessons learned" for his friends at the scene and for anyone close to him. The tracks are not people-friendly. I learned that the first time I went down for track safety. I'm sorry that his family, the crew, and the responders have to go through this.

I know the TO as well good guy this reeks beyond STUPID for them now his so called "friends" have to spend the rest of their lives living with this...

Oh BTW..

The Dead Kid dad is a Nassau County Police Officer just throwing that out there....

On that last note I seem to notice that most of the degenerates come from well to families, police kids, preachers daughters, etc. You would think they'd know better. In any event, this illustrates the fact that New Yorkers can't be trusted as adults to look after their own safety. I suggest the NYPD should refocus their priorities from chasing people with cameras to looking out for clowns like these

All the best to the train operator. If it was me I would have not an ounce of sympathy

Archived