SMEEs as Times-Square Grand Central Shuttle on May 11th?

+Young+

i saw the transfer, its on track 1, NOT track 4

Are you sure? The Grand Central website lists it as Track 4, and if it is track 4 I want to get some shots of the bridge plate removal process...

Are you sure? The Grand Central website lists it as Track 4, and if it is track 4 I want to get some shots of the bridge plate removal process...

It would be more easier to go through Track 1,they've ran the IRT vintage SMEE cars on Track 1 every time they ran on the Shuttle.

About to head there now. You know you really want to see something when you are about to go with no sleep, aching muscles, hungover, just feeling terrible. BUT. It's because I may not have this chance for a long time.

I went there today:

The line to see the train show was horrible!!! I waited 1 1/2 hours it felt like forever grouping up people. Then when I thought the wait was over we all went in a parked Metro-North train waited 15 minutes for us to be called for security checkpoint. Backpacks seemed to be allowed because they checked everybody who brought in a backpack. It was hot and there were fans running but it was horrible. I thought to myself when this line section is over now going to see the trains but found out more waiting to see it.

Finally after waiting I saw the trains it was okay I went inside few of the trains not all because there was more lines to go inside the trains. I strolled outside seeing the inside of the trains. Honestly I can see those trains at the Transit Museum.

The vintage (S) was fun. Very awesome and fast. I rode it twice back to back from GC to Times Square.

I went there today:

The line to see the train show was horrible!!! I waited 1 1/2 hours it felt like forever grouping up people. Then when I thought the wait was over we all went in a parked Metro-North train waited 15 minutes for us to be called for security checkpoint. Backpacks seemed to be allowed because they checked everybody who brought in a backpack. It was hot and there were fans running but it was horrible. I thought to myself when this line section is over now going to see the trains but found out more waiting to see it.

Finally after waiting I saw the trains it was okay I went inside few of the trains not all because there was more lines to go inside the trains. I strolled outside seeing the inside of the trains. Honestly I can see those trains at the Transit Museum.

The vintage (S) was fun. Very awesome and fast. I rode it twice back to back from GC to Times Square.

100 percent wrong!those trains including the last car of The 20th Century Limited and its red carpet were a once in a life time experience,I honestly dont think I will ever see them again...

100 percent wrong!those trains including the last car of The 20th Century Limited and its red carpet were a once in a life time experience,I honestly dont think I will ever see them again...

They cut the line exactly in front of me, but I've been on it anyway. I suppose you can live for another 100 or so years for the 200th Anniversary.

I went there today:

Some of those cars on display were borrowed from the railroad museum in Danbury, so alekr could just view some of those cars there, but others... dude might be out of luck unless they put them on display next year.

Yeah, I moseyed down there at 3:30 like an idiot thinking I'd be able to get on the trains and well, LOLNOPE. 

Like not an idiot though, walked down track 32 and got a pretty good veiw of at least the trains parked on 33. Right when we got to the end, a train pulled in on 32 - so that timed out perfectly. Rode the SMEE's back to TSQ. 

Aslo, added bonus: caught a RFW on the 7 on the way in which I haven't seen in quite a while. 

I didn't know about anything else other than the Shuttle, but from the sound of it, it seems like it wasn't worth it for a couple of reasons. However, the vintage trains on the Shuttle was one of the greatest thrills of my life. The MTA workers were really nice, I got a ton of pictures and they were some very nice people to talk to inside the trains. II wish they'd run this ''Parade of Trains'' more often. Really loved it and more to come from me.

I didn't know about anything else other than the Shuttle, but from the sound of it, it seems like it wasn't worth it for a couple of reasons. However, the vintage trains on the Shuttle was one of the greatest thrills of my life. The MTA workers were really nice, I got a ton of pictures and they were some very nice people to talk to inside the trains. II wish they'd run this ''Parade of Trains'' more often. Really loved it and more to come from me.

I felt rushed. Too much walking and too little time to take pictures without backing up the line. But that's why it felt rushed.

The SMEE was nice, except for this guy fooling around with the window wiper on 9306. And some guys on the platform screaming.

5760 has this particular screech I've never heard.

They should run it more often! I did want go inside but I didn't have time I didn't expect the line would be crazy long.

I noticed that in the vintage trains the MTA workers there are so nice they can answer your questions. I remembered when they ran the holiday special I asked them what was the max speed of the vintage train. The guy told me it is the same as the new cars it happened that the (F) was pulling in at 2nd ave pointed to it.

I felt rushed. Too much walking and too little time to take pictures without backing up the line. But that's why it felt rushed.

The SMEE was nice, except for this guy fooling around with the window wiper on 9306. And some guys on the platform screaming.

One door on 9306 had broken glass...

I saw a bunch of railfans pulling on the pantograph gates and banging on cab windows. You would think that people who care that much about trains would respect them more..

I think that was the brakeshoes that may have caused the screech. 5760, 6239, and 9306 never went through the GOH, so they retained their original cast iron brakeshoes all the way to their retirement, instead of being retrofitted with composite ones found on all cars that went through the GOH (or were fixed up like the R10s and R27s were). 

They cut the line exactly in front of me, but I've been on it anyway. I suppose you can live for another 100 or so years for the 200th Anniversary.

Where were you cut off? The long hallway, or the area directly in front of track 37 before the hallway? As for if it was worth waiting or not: For me this was my first time going and I do agree the wait was crazy, but at least they did have some M7as parked on track 39 as 'waiting rooms'. But that was a 1hr wait. I didn't bring a bag so I was off the line sooner. There were some people with bags and getting checked before moving to the last line (the shoeshine/magazine area). 

The collection was pretty nice and some of those cars are privately owned, so whether the owner decides to showcase their car again, who knows? So I think it's kinda valid about it being a once in a while experience. Also being the centennial, why not go? I kinda liked the red carpet featuring the 20th century limited. It does get repetitive going thru each car, but I guess it's worth doing at least once since how often do you get to see the inside of those cars (other than from pictures)?

Summing it up: first timer = worth it. Second time, probably just take pics from the outside.

As for the tomc, eh, I have been on it many times in the past and though it is nice to see them running since I last rode them for the 2008 Mets final home opener, it's not 'that special'. It was worth getting some pics and vids, but I did 2 trips and was done.

Man, I just sat in the 33S and rode back and forth so many times, I have no clue how much. It just didn't get boring and since it's been a good decade since I've ridden one of those, It was all reminiscing. The first thing I did when I walked onto the 33s was grab the metal strap hang. When they were alive, I was nowhere near tall enough to reach them. The funny thing is, a lady and her friend got on the train at TS, she grabbed the strap hang and said "My lifelong dream, achieved". Pretty much for the same reason I did it.

Archived