Inside An Illegal Party In An Abandoned Subway Station Deep Under NYC

Harry

post-5097-0-29844900-1372162826_thumb.jpg
At a quarter to midnight on Friday I spotted the man with a wire coming out of his ear and a giant flower on his lapel. He was standing outside a DUMBO subway station, wearing a suit and holding a clipboard just as I'd been promised. I approached nonchalantly, trying to play it cool in that overcompensating manner favored by shady characters. He was telling a small group of ten or so strangers to walk to a nearby pedestrian plaza and await further instructions. "Before We Were Ghosts" had begun.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-29844900-1372162826_thumb.jpg

Can't figure out where that is!

It at first mentions DUMBO, but the closest abandoned station to there is Myrtle, but the tunnels don't look like the ones in the picture (They look newer, like 63rd or Archer!). After that, there is Nevins, but same thing with the age of the tunnel. (IT's definitely IND or post-unification construction).

The only thing I can think of is the S4/Bway station. Don't see how the “nearby pedestrian plaza” could be that far away, though. But still, it looks newer than that. Did they walk over the bridge to the segment of SAS in Chatham Sq? That's what that would look more like.

What an awesome event that seemingly captures and pays homage to the underground scene from the late 80's/early 90's. A shame half in attendance were just hipsters, but still a nice event.

And without a doubt, this goes into investigation by the MTA: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/subway-party-hangover-article-1.1381446

Also, the tunnel is not in DUMBO, but is the 2nd Ave. Subway section from Canal St. to Pell St.

The MTA just needs to play it cool with this one. No harm, no foul.

Can't figure out where that is!

It at first mentions DUMBO, but the closest abandoned station to there is Myrtle, but the tunnels don't look like the ones in the picture (They look newer, like 63rd or Archer!). After that, there is Nevins, but same thing with the age of the tunnel. (IT's definitely IND or post-unification construction).

The only thing I can think of is the S4/Bway station. Don't see how the “nearby pedestrian plaza” could be that far away, though. But still, it looks newer than that. Did they walk over the bridge to the segment of SAS in Chatham Sq? That's what that would look more like.

Seems like SAS. They probably just started in DUMBO so that all the smelly hipsters would not have to travel far from their homeland to meet up.

What an awesome event that seemingly captures and pays homage to the underground scene from the late 80's/early 90's. A shame half in attendance were just hipsters, but still a nice event.

The MTA just needs to play it cool with this one. No harm, no foul.

So the MTA should just turn a blind eye to trespassers? EVEN AFTER 9/11???????

I agree. I love the whole double standard going on with tresspassing in general - if a rail photographer does it, they're absolutely disgraceful human beings, but if party-goers do it, it's ok...??? :huh::huh::huh:

I do not condone either action but if you're going to knock one party you have to knock the other.

First of all, I never stated that. I just said the MTA should play it cool with this one. No property was damaged or otherwise altered. No one of the general public including the group were in any immediate harm.

Second of all, I don't agree with the 9/11 excuse. That was twelve years ago, hardly relevant to today. To continue to use the event as an excuse in regard to security is appalling and dare I say near revolting to those that have experienced the repercussions of the terrorist attacks.

I agree. I love the whole double standard going on with tresspassing in general - if a rail photographer does it, they're absolutely disgraceful human beings, but if party-goers do it, it's ok...??? :huh::huh::huh:

I do not condone either action but if you're going to knock one party you have to knock the other.

Also, how are railfanners even relevant to the situation?

Mind you this line was inactive, so to compare it to fanning active tracks and line in a poor comparison. Anyway, if you were as inconspicuous a the people in the article said they were you might get away with that too.

I'm all for equal treatment, but I don't see a problem with either situation.

Mind you this line was inactive, so to compare it to fanning active tracks and line in a poor comparison. Anyway, if you were as inconspicuous a the people in the article said they were you might get away with that too.

I'm all for equal treatment, but I don't see a problem with either situation.

Active line or not, it's still tresspassing and illegal, is it not? All I'm saying is that if a railfan was discovered trespassing then I doubt we would be so receptive... and he wouldn't have to damage anything in order to be blasted from all directions, and rightfully so.

Partying or taking shots, it's an idiotic excuse to trespass, full stop.

Active line or not, it's still tresspassing and illegal, is it not? All I'm saying is that if a railfan was discovered trespassing then I doubt we would be so receptive... and he wouldn't have to damage anything in order to be blasted from all directions, and rightfully so.

Partying or taking shots, it's an idiotic excuse to trespass, full stop.

If it were a railfan on the same property, likely no one would even had made such of scene of it because media would ever have known. And quite honestly I still see nothing wrong with the trespassing on the property.

You're telling me you've never trespassed once in your life to have a cheap thrill, or to go f**k around with friends?

If it were a railfan on the same property, likely no one would even had made such of scene of it because media would ever have known. And quite honestly I still see nothing wrong with the trespassing on the property.

Even if the media didn't know about it, we'd probably still be talking about it here... information has a way of spreading around. If one looks through older posts you can see plenty of people, especially transit employees, blasting those who wander exactly where they're told not to.

You're telling me you've never trespassed once in your life to have a cheap thrill, or to go f**k around with friends?

No, I have never found myself interested in stirring up sh!t for the sake of stirring up sh!t. Additionally, such actions have a way of negatively impacting the entire local age group... if two guys from my school get into a fight at the store then they ban everyone from that store during school hours. This is a source of great annoyance for me and the last thing I want to do is contribute to the fire, as it were. Part of the reason some adults I've encountered in my travels are so weary of teenagers is exactly because of knobs like this.

Even if the media didn't know about it, we'd probably still be talking about it here... information has a way of spreading around. If one looks through older posts you can see plenty of people, especially transit employees, blasting those who wander exactly where they're told not to.

So, if a transit fan would've been in the tunnels and decided to post photos here I'd still hold the same stance, and go aas far as to congratulating him.

No, I have never found myself interested in stirring up sh!t for the sake of stirring up sh!t. Additionally, such actions have a way of negatively impacting the entire local age group... if two guys from my school get into a fight at the store then they ban everyone from that store during school hours. This is a source of great annoyance for me and the last thing I want to do is contribute to the fire, as it were. Part of the reason some adults I've encountered in my travels are so weary of teenagers is exactly because of knobs like this.

"Stirring up shit for the sake of stirring up shit." Well that's one blunt way of looking at it. Anyway, I commend you, as you surely have a greater moral standing than I.

Now, I due to issue with your hypothetical situation. If two guys got into a fight at the store that's just two guys. Call the local authorities and settle it like that, but don't go "banning" patrons from a place of business. Granted it is a private property, but it is also a place of business. If I were in the situation and I had no convenient alternative, I'd enter the business and conduct my transactions regardless.

Lastly, the reason people are weary of any particular age group is usually out of mindless paranoia, or due to previous antagonism towards an individual in that "group". Both reasons are ridiculous to me.

So, if a transit fan would've been in the tunnels and decided to post photos here I'd still hold the same stance, and go aas far as to congratulating him.

Well, that's your view I guess. Why, though, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, I commend you, as you surely have a greater moral standing than I.

Thanks.

Now, I due to issue with your hypothetical situation. If two guys got into a fight at the store that's just two guys. Call the local authorities and settle it like that, but don't go "banning" patrons from a place of business. Granted it is a private property, but it is also a place of business. If I were in the situation and I had no convenient alternative, I'd enter the business and conduct my transactions regardless.

I wish it were a hypothetical situation, but it is not. About 5 months ago, some guys from my school entered a supermarket nearby and started causing trouble and being idiots and such (the place had two floors and I think some guy dropped merchandise onto people from that second floor). This resulted in a complete ban of all students from the premises during school hours, with promises of legal trouble if one trespassed. I don't know if they actually carried this out, but I think the ban was unreasonable nevertheless... if I didn't have a lunch for whatever reason then I wouldn't be able to go and purchase something from there.

Last year, after some guys shoplifted from a store near the school (they had no equipment to detect this kind of thing) they pulled the same shit on us.

or due to previous antagonism towards an individual in that "group". Both reasons are ridiculous to me.

That is basically what I said. The antagonism, in this case, would be towards the knobs who dropped merchandise off of the top floor and fought with other people and stuff. Yes, it is ridiculous, but what can you do about it?

Sorry for the late response.

Well, that's your view I guess. Why, though, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd still hold the same views as I still see nothing wrong. I'd congratulate the individual as it is very bold to go and take pics.

Thanks.

It's all good.

I wish it were a hypothetical situation, but it is not. About 5 months ago, some guys from my school entered a supermarket nearby and started causing trouble and being idiots and such (the place had two floors and I think some guy dropped merchandise onto people from that second floor). This resulted in a complete ban of all students from the premises during school hours, with promises of legal trouble if one trespassed. I don't know if they actually carried this out, but I think the ban was unreasonable nevertheless... if I didn't have a lunch for whatever reason then I wouldn't be able to go and purchase something from there.

Last year, after some guys shoplifted from a store near the school (they had no equipment to detect this kind of thing) they pulled the same shit on us.

I apologize and I'm shocked to hear that it is in fact reality. I'm sure there is only so much that the owner, in conjunction with the City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario can enforce. The police may show up to kick you out, but I doubt it's an offense worthy of a citation.

Like I said, I'd likely enter anyway, but good discretion on your part.

That is basically what I said. The antagonism, in this case, would be towards the knobs who dropped merchandise off of the top floor and fought with other people and stuff. Yes, it is ridiculous, but what can you do about it?

Well it's at each individual's discretion to pursue their way of getting justice so to speak. I already said I'd just enter the store. If it is an independent you can always talk with the owner, or if it's a chain you can call up HQ and voice your concerns.

Anyway, thanks for the background. Really great to see it from another point of view.

@ttcsubwayfan: If you have a problem with the local store banning kids during school hours, call the department of consumer affairs or whatever the relevant Canadian body is.  Then file a complaint on grounds of age discrimination.  This sort of approach works; I've used it from time to time myself...

Going back to the original topic, I agree these people should probably not have been holding an event in an abandoned subway tunnel, but I would hardly call it a threat to security.  I'm sure the only reason the MTA is jittery is because they don't want a lawsuit, but that's another discussion entirely. 

What Stark and Austin and the musicians managed to create, almost miraculously, was a Temporary Autonomous Zone to remind us that this is still a city worth living in, despite the creeping feeling that New York's being bled dry by an ever-expanding corporate vampire real estate army.

I liked this line a lot. I like how this guy thinks. Reminds me of myself and my own thoughts.

And without a doubt, this goes into investigation by the MTA: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/subway-party-hangover-article-1.1381446

Also, the tunnel is not in DUMBO, but is the 2nd Ave. Subway section from Canal St. to Pell St.

2nd Ave? It mentions on Gothamist that the trackbed leads up to an high cement wall on one end and a curve on the other end. No doubt in my mind that this is the abandoned Roosevelt Avenue station.

Archived