NYPD cracks down on subway break dancers, but should they?

Jamaica Line

NEW YORK (PIX11) - Whenever any of the 300 or so acrobatic dancers is on your train, it’s guaranteed not to be your routine subway ride. Dancing on a moving subway train takes athletic ability, timing, and smarts.

“It’s like measurements,” said Daniel Siciliano, a member of 2Live, a dance crew that’s regularly on the 4 and Q trains. “[A dancer knows exactly how far to stick his legs out when he does the signature move, 'The Flagpole.' We just know exactly how to flip without hitting nobody."

It takes all that, but it gives back in return.

Read more: http://pix11.com/2014/03/27/entertainment-or-nuisance-nypd-cracks-down-on-subway-break-dancers/#ixzz2xQOi92R4

A video is also included in the link.

What do you guys think? I personally enjoy seeing most subway dancers perform and usually have no problem giving them a single if I have any to spare. And as the woman being interviewed said, I also feel that it's part of our city's culture. 

Thou I can understand how one coming from a long, tiring day of work can find it annoying - it's just one of those things you gotta deal with living in such a city.

Doesn't bother me, its a bit dangerous but so is Jaywalking and a number of other things we do. I just don't like being bugged for money, I don't really plan on donating to most dancers as they nearly all have the same routine.

A video is also included in the link.

What do you guys think? I personally enjoy seeing most subway dancers perform and usually have no problem giving them a single if I have any to spare. And as the woman being interviewed said, I also feel that it's part of our city's culture. 

Thou I can understand how one coming from a long, tiring day of work can find it annoying - it's just one of those things you gotta deal with living in such a city.

** YT Video **

I'm not even arguing safety (while it is definitely a valid point), I'm simply flat out annoyed with these break dancers on the subway - I consider them to be a public nuisance (much like any panhandler)..... Also (much like any panhandler), they gets not even 1 red cent out of me.... The NYC panhandling market is over-saturated, and these kids, ex-cons, or regular folks doing this shit for money for god knows what, have done exploited it... Shit, it's enough that the homeless are on the subways panhandling...

I don't see it much as an entertainment issue, because if it were mainly about public entertainment, they'd be doing so on a different platform (no pun intended).... The "have a good day's" & "sorry to bother you's" that emanate from their mouths is nothing more than disingenuous customary speak to get you, mister & misses John/Jane Q Commuter, to pony up "dat cash, son" - They could give a shit about a NYC commuter you if he/she aint doing that....

In essence, You're "feeding the trolls".... Lol.. They keep coming back because they know they have suckers (nothing personal, but it is what it is) that'll continue to give them money.... Nothing worse than a leech....

While hip hop is a part of NYC culture (hell, I'd even argue that these break dancers don't give two shits about the hip hop culture anyway), panhandling (increases, especially) shouldn't be, I'm sorry...... Just dealing with it doesn't make it any less of a problem.... So sick of this Slut culture (as I call it) we got going on these days, where people wanna be seen for doing, whatever.....

Panhandling + Public reach/attention = the amounts of "Showtime" (smh) dancers on the subways....

I'm not even arguing safety (while it is definitely a valid point), I'm simply flat out annoyed with these break dancers on the subway - I consider them to be a public nuisance (much like any panhandler)..... Also (much like any panhandler), they gets not even 1 red cent out of me.... The NYC panhandling market is over-saturated, and these kids, ex-cons, or regular folks doing this shit for money for god knows what, have done exploited it... Shit, it's enough that the homeless are on the subways panhandling...

I don't see it much as an entertainment issue, because if it were mainly about public entertainment, they'd be doing so on a different platform (no pun intended).... The "have a good day's" & "sorry to bother you's" that emanate from their mouths is nothing more than disingenuous customary speak to get you, mister & misses John/Jane Q Commuter, to pony up "dat cash, son" - They could give a shit about a NYC commuter you if he/she aint doing that....

In essence, You're "feeding the trolls".... Lol.. They keep coming back because they know they have suckers (nothing personal, but it is what it is) that'll continue to give them money.... Nothing worse than a leech....

While hip hop is a part of NYC culture (hell, I'd even argue that these break dancers don't give two shits about the hip hop culture anyway), panhandling (increases, especially) shouldn't be, I'm sorry...... Just dealing with it doesn't make it any less of a problem.... So sick of this Slut culture (as I call it) we got going on these days, where people wanna be seen for doing, whatever.....

Panhandling + Public reach/attention = the amounts of "Showtime" (smh) dancers on the subways....

My favorite are the religious types that coming crying about the end of the world....they lost credibility after it was supposed to be the end in 2000

My favorite are the religious types that coming crying about the end of the world....they lost credibility after it was supposed to be the end in 2000

LMAO! Don't get me started on the bible thumpers....

The y2k beggars, from the minute the first one I noticed using that avenue to garner money from subway riders on a train I was on, the first thing that came to my mind was - The f*** am I giving YOU money for when we all goin DIE come 12/31... God don't need yo money, nzzzz, FOH.

Isn't greed suppose to be a sin anyway.... Hypocrites.

LMAO! Don't get me started on the bible thumpers....

The y2k beggars, from the minute the first one I noticed using that avenue to garner money from subway riders on a train I was on, the first thing that came to my mind was - The f*** am I giving YOU money for when we all goin DIE come 12/31... God don't need yo money, nzzzz, FOH.

Isn't greed suppose to be a sin anyway.... Hypocrites.

Nah, they're just misunderstood really -_-

But I'd like to say something about the "hip hop culture". Who here remembers Kris Kross (think one of the pair died recently, God rest his soul)? My brother and I were going out with my father out of Brooklyn for a night in the city. He came out wearing his pants inside out. My father made him go back into the house and change his pants right side out. My brother never heard the end of it for the rest of the evening lol

Time and place for everything I guess

Nah, they're just misunderstood really -_-

But I'd like to say something about the "hip hop culture". Who here remembers Kris Kross (think one of the pair died recently, God rest his soul)? My brother and I were going out with my father out of Brooklyn for a night in the city. He came out wearing his pants inside out. My father made him go back into the house and change his pants right side out. My brother never heard the end of it for the rest of the evening lol

Time and place for everything I guess

To this day, I still recite the hook from their hit single, "Jump".... I can say that miggety miggety miggety mack shit nonstop for at least a  minute... Anyway, Yeah, the darkskinned one died sometime last year, when they tried to make a comeback....

What passes for hiphop now is a f***in joke, but that's for another discussion.....

I don't think it's a coincidence that they're so many of them on the (A) partially because you can't escape from the car once the doors close, since the doors between the cars are locked, thereby forcing you to hear that noise and nonsense.  The cops should be cracking down on these people because they're a nuisance.  People have a right to a peaceful, event-free ride for $2.50, and the real issue is you can't say okay, well I don't want to hear this, so I can move to another car.  You're basically forced to deal with it until you can get to another station.  The safety issue is another big problem.  If they want to break dance, they should have an open space where people WHO ARE interested can go and enjoy and give them money.  I also think the people who give money on the trains should be arrested for enabling this nonsense on an enclosed space where people can and have been injured.  Sooner or later someone is going to be injured from one of these idiots, and they person or persons that is/are injured will sue the (MTA) for negligence (and rightfully so) because they're going to argue that the (MTA) hasn't done anything to stop this from happening.  I also think that those doors should be unlocked.  It's an extreme safety hazard because if something happens you can't escape.  Wasn't someone killed (stabbed to death) years ago on a subway train like that because they couldn't escape through the car doors, as they were locked?

I found at least one example of this:

http://nypost.com/2009/11/22/subway-riders-sealed-in-murder-car/

Why do they keep the doors locked on some trains anyway?!???

People have died from crossing in between cars. In fact, I'm pretty sure a homeless man was killed on the (6) last year after he tried to relieve himself in between train cars.

Since everyone in this country is obsessed with suing, it's better from a legal perspective that the MTA lock doors and inconvenience people, rather than paying millions in lawsuits and settlements.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they're so many of them on the (A) partially because you can't escape from the car once the doors close, since the doors between the cars are locked, thereby forcing you to hear that noise and nonsense.  The cops should be cracking down on these people because they're a nuisance.  People have a right to a peaceful, event-free ride for $2.50, and the real issue is you can't say okay, well I don't want to hear this, so I can move to another car.  You're basically forced to deal with it until you can get to another station.  The safety issue is another big problem.  If they want to break dance, they should have an open space where people WHO ARE interested can go and enjoy and give them money.  I also think the people who give money on the trains should be arrested for enabling this nonsense on an enclosed space where people can and have been injured.  Sooner or later someone is going to be injured from one of these idiots, and they person or persons that is/are injured will sue the (MTA) for negligence (and rightfully so) because they're going to argue that the (MTA) hasn't done anything to stop this from happening.  I also think that those doors should be unlocked.  It's an extreme safety hazard because if something happens you can't escape.  Wasn't someone killed (stabbed to death) years ago on a subway train like that because they couldn't escape through the car doors, as they were locked?

I found at least one example of this:

http://nypost.com/2009/11/22/subway-riders-sealed-in-murder-car/

I think express trains are targets because there are longer intervals between stops. They have more time for the routine and to collect.

Archived