R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

The sticker says "No coupler adapter in this car." So the cars with that sticker HAVE to be in the middle? 

No, they don't. But I noticed that cars w/ those stickers are usually on the conductor ends.... Because when R188 sets are flipped (ex. FRONT 7849-7854,7844-7848 BACK) during testing you would see that sticker. When regularly coupled (7844-7854) there is no sticker seen on the ends.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they don't. But I noticed that cars w/ those stickers are usually on the conductor ends.... Because when R188 sets are flipped (ex. FRONT 7849-7854,7844-7848 BACK) during testing you would see that sticker. When regularly coupled (7844-7854) there is no sticker seen on the ends.

I know. I only saw the sticker on the front when I saw 7255 leading a test train of converted R142As. And does the position of the C Car in the train matter?

In your above example of 7844-7854? Just turn the sets around on the loop...

I meant when they have a setup in a configuration like Flushing 7848-7844, 7849-7854 Times Square.

I know. I only saw the sticker on the front when I saw 7255 leading a test train of converted R142As. And does the position of the C Car in the train matter?

I meant when they have a setup in a configuration like Flushing 7848-7844, 7849-7854 Times Square.

Technically the C car does not have to be where it is because it is only an "insert" car. However, it only makes logical sense to locate it where it is in order to keep things uniform, as well as having the sets arranged in that way because they are 6 car sets. The C car being the 6th car inserted into the set. 

Technically the C car does not have to be where it is because it is only an "insert" car. However, it only makes logical sense to locate it where it is in order to keep things uniform, as well as having the sets arranged in that way because they are 6 car sets. The C car being the 6th car inserted into the set. 

Exactly... by keeping the sets oriented the way they are (C car always the second car from the end of the train), Yard workers don't have to fumble around looking for it.

Exactly... by keeping the sets oriented the way they are (C car always the second car from the end of the train), Yard workers don't have to fumble around looking for it.

I mean in a 5 car sets case. I'm not talking about the 6 car set because of the converts.

But in the case of a converted set, the C car is incredibly easy to find by it's car number. 

Remember that there are technically 2 C cars for every 11 car train.

Also, I had the pleasure of experiencing the wheel slip control system at work on 7888-7898 today on my way home from work (it started drizzling in queens around 2:45 p.m. today). Very interesting to hear the motors out of sync with each other and feel the jerking of the set as the TC computer dialed back on tractive effort coming out of stations.

Edited by Fan Railer

Remember that there are technically 2 C cars for every 11 car train.

Also, I had the pleasure of experiencing the wheel slip control system at work on 7888-7898 today on my way home from work (it started drizzling in queens around 2:45 p.m. today). Very interesting to hear the motors out of sync with each other and feel the jerking of the set as the TC computer dialed back on tractive effort coming out of stations.

Wow. Would like to see that even more on the conversion sets. 

About the C cars, the new ones are very easy to pick out, high car numbers and of corse they look newer. If you want to talk about conversion cars, every B car with a 2 at the end is going to be a C car. Now, the only problem is the new sets but that could also be solved easily too. For the 5 car sets, it goes 12, 23, 34, 45, 56, 67, 78, 89. For the 6 car sets, 20, 31, 42, 53, 64, 75, 86, 97. OK, yes. It's still a lot of remembering but there is no reason why the C cars can't be in the middle. And we will most likely see a "no coupler adapter" car leading at a point where Corona no longer cares about the order. If they care about keeping "no coupler adapter" cars in the middle, they might as well keep them in numerical order.

OK, yes. It's still a lot of remembering but there is no reason why the C cars can't be in the middle.

At the same time there is no logical reason why they should be in the middle, nor does it offer any benefit other than aesthetics. Your option would give something extra for yard workers to keep in mind - something they don't need when they have to deal with complex machinery already.

As they can technically go anywhere, the MTA should have taken into consideration your option. Ultimately they felt that organizing them the way they are now is better, because while both methods organize equipment in a logical manner the latter option does away with the extra bit of info. It's the same reason why 4-car sets of 75-footers are numbered consecutively, but not sequentially.

Edited by Gong Gahou

At the same time there is no logical reason why they should be in the middle, nor does it offer any benefit other than aesthetics. Your option would give something extra for yard workers to keep in mind - something they don't need when they have to deal with complex machinery already.

As they can technically go anywhere, the MTA should have taken into consideration your option. Ultimately they felt that organizing them the way they are now is better, because while both methods organize equipment in a logical manner the latter option does away with the extra bit of info. It's the same reason why 4-car sets of 75-footers are numbered consecutively, but not sequentially.

I doubt the TA will care about sequential order much longer.

I doubt the TA will care about sequential order much longer.

It will stay - it's the most logical for any permanently-linked sets that contains more than 4 cars and consists of motor and trailer cars. If you're referring to the numbering of the converted R142As then no, that doesn't mean they don't care - it's more of an exception to the rule. Perhaps they wanted to save on costs from changing the numbers and/or, for whatever reason, they needed to know which 188s were 142As.

In your above example of 7844-7854? Just turn the sets around on the loop...

The question is not how, but why.

@Tech and Transit: I have no clue, but as long as it's not seen in revenue service that way, I can safely assume it's necessary for the C cars to be where they are.

But you took a video of 7881 being delivered coupled to a diesel, with no coupler adapter, wouldn't 7877 need to be coupled to the diesel?

Only if necessary. Otherwise the loco will just attach itself to whichever side has the coupler adapter and go from there. Locos can either pull or push - for the latter someone should be on the 188 as the "eyes and ears" of the loco.

I also find it hard to believe a lighting cover can make the 188s brighter... 

The material inside the covers work as diffusers - they will spread out the light so it will come to our eyes as soft light. A comparison between shining a light through transparent and translucent glass is an example of how this works.

Just to clarify some of this madness about the C car. Each set has a C car no matter how many cars in a set. On the first conversion 7212 is a C car of the 7211-7215 set and 7899 is a C car of the 7216-7220 set which totals 6 cars.

7211 will always be a Times Square bound motor and 7220 will always be a Main Street bound motor because the CR positions are set up at the end of the 5th car position facing Times Square.

The C cars do not have motorized trucks. The B cars only have one motorized truck and the A car has two motorized trucks.

The builders have learned over the years that a big cause to the bucking issue WHEN BRAKING and even at times when taking power is the loss of power to the motorized truck in the second car. That car then has an over compensation of braking while lacking any power and the braking tends to lose sync with the rest of the train. A T/O can then feel as if the train pushes forward at the very end of a stop even though full braking is applied. That's because the second car B car lacks dynamic braking because of it's dead motor. To limit this in the R188s Kawasaki gave the horsepower to the other cars and trucks while leaving the C car as a trailer car. The motor power or lack thereof in all other cars will now have minimal impact on operating ability of the first car of the train. So that car won't push on the A car as the train stops or drag on the A car as the train takes power. So yes the C cars will always be the second car of the train on either side.

Just to clarify some of this madness about the C car. Each set has a C car no matter how many cars in a set. On the first conversion 7212 is a C car of the 7211-7215 set and 7899 is a C car of the 7216-7220 set which totals 6 cars.

7211 will always be a Times Square bound motor and 7220 will always be a Main Street bound motor because the CR positions are set up at the end of the 5th car position facing Times Square.

The C cars do not have motorized trucks. The B cars only have one motorized truck and the A car has two motorized trucks.

The builders have learned over the years that a big cause to the bucking issue WHEN BRAKING and even at times when taking power is the loss of power to the motorized truck in the second car. That car then has an over compensation of braking while lacking any power and the braking tends to lose sync with the rest of the train. A T/O can then feel as if the train pushes forward at the very end of a stop even though full braking is applied. That's because the second car B car lacks dynamic braking because of it's dead motor. To limit this in the R188s Kawasaki gave the horsepower to the other cars and trucks while leaving the C car as a trailer car. The motor power or lack thereof in all other cars will now have minimal impact on operating ability of the first car of the train. So that car won't push on the A car as the train stops or drag on the A car as the train takes power. So yes the C cars will always be the second car of the train on either side.

That makes sense. Ok.

Hey R188 foamers watch out theres a bedbug infestation on the (7) ...

http://www.businessinsider.com/mta-investigating-bedbugs-on-nyc-subway-7-train-2014-8

Not just on the (7), the (5) and (N) have them now too. And maybe some other lines by now. It's a shame the person on the train didn't warn anyone about it because he "didn't want to cause a commotion".

Not just on the (7), the (5) and (N) have them now too. And maybe some other lines by now. It's a shame the person on the train didn't warn anyone about it because he "didn't want to cause a commotion".

This is OLD news. The (7) having bedbugs is RECENT news.

And how in the hell would a bum go and say "Excuse me, I got som bedbugs in dis ride" ? It's either accidental or on purpose but this is getting out of control. I'm mad now that the CHINCHES (bed BUGS) are on my (7) !!

Edited by Priincenene

This is OLD news. The (7) having bedbugs is RECENT news.

And how in the hell would a bum go and say "Excuse me, I got som bedbugs in dis ride" ? It's either accidental or on purpose but this is getting out of control. I'm mad now that the CHINCHES (bed BUGS) are on my (7) !!

No, bed bugs on the (5), (7) and a third train found on the (N) are recent.

And I'm saying, the guy should have WARNED people. Why would you just see bed bugs crawling onto passengers legs and biting them and not warn anyone and act like everything was fine?

Edited by Tech And Transit

I railfanned on units 7833-7843 on June 21st (I think) when me and my uncle were checking out Woodside. Railfanned from Times Square to Woodside. I was careful though. :l Any current info on those units?

Other than A TON of vandalism, nothing else really to say...