R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree on R142A #7300 series they have brown stuff on interior doors ok.. When Westchester Yard car wash their R142A only they were able to remove brown stuff on interior doors. Because car was dirty.. Westchester Yard did know when there car is dirty .. They have to wash their R142A... Sometimes they did able to remove brown rust too... About the vandalism don't know..

They are not LEDs, Its the plastic that is new and transparent to make the fluorescent lights look like the cool white LED color, If cleaning the light diffusers with a stronger cleaning solution or replacing it with new ones will make the car interior more brighter.

I am very sorry to bring this up again but...

"These trains are the first E233 series variant to use LED interior lighting.Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E233_series 

The E233 is a passenger train that is run in Japan, and it's manufactured by Kawasaki. Seeing how this train was manufactured around the same time as the R188s, it's my guess that the R188s DO in fact use LED lighting. I'm only making a guess here.

The E233 is a passenger train that is run in Japan, and it's manufactured by Kawasaki. Seeing how this train was manufactured around the same time as the R188s, it's my guess that the R188s DO in fact use LED lighting. I'm only making a guess here.

The MTA wrote the interior lighting spec along with the rest of the spec for the R188, not Kawasaki. Those two trains are mutually exclusive in terms of interior lighting. It is likely that the MTA spec'd florescent lights to maintain a uniform parts supply for the converted and new R188s.

The conversions go for the bare minimum. As a lot of people here can probably attest, they look just as bad as they did when they were running on the (6), and the only way you can tell that they are in fact R188s is based on the fact that they are on the (7). From what recent posts are saying, Corona is beginning to fix up the sets, but there's only so much they can do with the garbage that Westchester sent them.

So why don't they just replace the lights in the conversions. I am not understanding why the MTA Corona doesn't want the conversions to look at least a little better. Is 7221-30 the only set they are fixing up? R188 7857 said 7241 looks awful...

These decisions are not made by the yard. They are made by the allocation of the budget.

Why does budget have to deal with not fixing the set R188 conversion . Come on. For myself on R188 conversion . Someone should admit R188 conversion are getting fixed , they are running well on (7) & Not like the (6) from Westchester Yard...

The MTA is being cheap with the conversions. All they are doing on the trains is installing CBTC and changing the strip maps.

The MTA is being cheap with the conversions. All they are doing on the trains is installing CBTC and changing the strip maps.

Thank you! Someone agrees! 

About this conversion issue, it really is starting to get crazy. I mean, it seems like 7211-7220 are dead. 7221-7230 are ok. I don't know what the hell is happening with 31-40. 41 looks like crap apparently. I don't know about 7250. 51-60 are still testing. It gets only a little better going up but it still depends on the car. And seriously, adding CBTC equipment and changing strip maps is really cheap. I guess at this point we should be greatful they are even testing them before placing them in service. 

Thank you! Someone agrees! 

About this conversion issue, it really is starting to get crazy. I mean, it seems like 7211-7220 are dead. 7221-7230 are ok. I don't know what the hell is happening with 31-40. 41 looks like crap apparently. I don't know about 7250. 51-60 are still testing. It gets only a little better going up but it still depends on the car. And seriously, adding CBTC equipment and changing strip maps is really cheap. I guess at this point we should be greatful they are even testing them before placing them in service. 

7211-7220 has CBTC installed already, and was undergoing CBTC testing in the yard but I didn't see it the other day. 7221-7230 is probably the best condition conversion set out there,, at least on 7230 they fixed up some door stickers (the ones from the (6) were distorted and ripped) and was cleaned up a bit. 7241 is absolute disgusting.... air bubbles in the floor, RUST, vandalism, brown dots on the cab door (wtf?)...... 

By the way, they do way more than add CBTC equipment/change strip maps. They have to rewire the cab and the cab area, do a lot of wiring....

7211-7220 has CBTC installed already, and was undergoing CBTC testing in the yard but I didn't see it the other day. 7221-7230 is probably the best condition conversion set out there,, at least on 7230 they fixed up some door stickers (the ones from the (6) were distorted and ripped) and was cleaned up a bit. 7241 is absolute disgusting.... air bubbles in the floor, RUST, vandalism, brown dots on the cab door (wtf?)...... 

By the way, they do way more than add CBTC equipment/change strip maps. They have to rewire the cab and the cab area, do a lot of wiring....

The wiring is part of the CBTC installation, isn't it?...

I wouldn't hold my breath on Corona fixing up the interior on the conversion sets.. you 188 lovers should hop over to the L line and look at the condition of the interiors of the 143s, pretty dirty but they look nice on the outside, just like the converted 188s on the 7.

You guys should stop whining so much about the interior of the NTT on the 7, in NYC the interior of transit vehicles don't stay looking nice for long, the sooner you'll except it, the happier you'll be.

The wiring is part of the CBTC installation, isn't it?...

I don't think so when it's at Kawasaki. I think it's just for the new cab and such. The CBTC gets installed by the CBTC contractor, right now the trains don't have CBTC yet except for 7211-7220. 

Edited by R188 7857