R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got any idea, if they'll do it on the weekend? I;m going down there this weekend, and if they do weekend test runs, i'll go over there.

Who knows when the trains themselves are running given the current state that everything is in...the testing was probably postponed

Kawasaki doesn't sell its own propulsions in the United States. The MITRAC propulsion for the R142As and R143s were chosen before Bombardier bought AdTranz, so I'm not sure if Kawasaki would use a propulsion from one of its chief competitors for the new R188s. Kawasaki and Alstom seem to have a good relationship, so perhaps they could choose Alstom propulsion. Siemens is another possibility as well.

About this tachometer business, the "engine tachometer" which is in the link Guira1283 posted is NOT the tachometer in question here. Make sure you read the "railway tachometer" section instead. It will be used to sense wheel speed and track the location of the train. Also, go to 3:25 in this video to hear the mention of the tachometer in the MTA CPOC board meeting in February 2012:

• 2 weeks later...

So basically, the mta is downgrading most of the (4) and (6) lines from new technology to old technology trains that are half way there to their deaths. Makes sense and this is one of the smartest plans the mta has ever made.

If you don't like it, don't ride the damn lines.

So basically, the mta is downgrading most of the (4) and (6) lines from new technology to old technology trains that are half way there to their deaths. Makes sense and this is one of the smartest plans the mta has ever made.

What does this even mean?

As long as the bloody trains work and will get you from the Bronx to Downtown, why is this even important?

Derailing sarcasm detected. Need dislike button. B-)

Anyways, let's get back to the thread.

Edited by NovaCSW8030

I took a ride on a r62a (7) today and after that experience i wouldn't have a problem with the r62a being on the (6) and (4). I am a daily rider of both lines. Even though the r62a's has less space than the r142a and sounds more heavier, it would be fair if the (4) and (6) get another taste of the r62As

The R62As are heavier...

R62A: 75,550 lbs

R142A A car: 73,300 lbs

R142A B car: 67,800 lbs

They haven't made any propulsion changes with the conversion sets. We'll have to wait 'till around Christmas to see what they use in the brand new sets.

The propulsion is going to the be essentially the same for compatibility purposes. Some subcomponents in the actual equipment for the new cars will be different because of obsolescence and high failure rates.