R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Doesn't matter about age the Redbirds were even doing garbage duty before they retired in the early-late 1990s , and the R62As sometimes were borrowed from the (6) in the 1990s for garbage duty and they weren't even 15yrs old . As long as the subway car can do it than it will be used regardless of its age. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything built during the Dual Contracts can fit B Division trains with slight modification. That includes the WPR above Tremont Avenue.

I'm not even gonna commet on A B division differences.The R62As are singles so they can do work service but imagine R46 in garbage service: 4 R46,3 or 4 garbage flatcars and 1 or 2 R127.Way too long.No other transit system uses more than one revenue car in a work train except CTA because their cars are married pair

Actually it was built as BMT then when it changed midconstruction they just extended the platform edge inward so if you shaved the platform a B division car could run there

I did some fact checking on this again and it turns out you are indeed both correct. The following segments of the present day IRT was built by the City of New York despite August Belmont's demands to have his private contractors perform construction to prevent railroad company takeover of his lines (and the BMT for that matter):

•The Lexington Line north of Grand Central.

•The Broadway-7th Ave Line south of Times Square .

•The Dyre Ave Line and all the other Bronx IRT Els except the West Farms El south of East 180th St.

•The Brooklyn IRT Line east of Atlantic Avenue, including both the Livonia El, and the Flatbush line.

•The Clark St Tunnel from Manhattan to where it joins the Joralemon tunnel route.

It's the tunnels itself and the stations built by cut and cover or deep bore mining methods or in terms of heavier more durable steelwork techniques with the new El portions, that were built by the City to freight railroad specs more or less to allow for BMT clearance in the case that with the politics going on at the time, that the IRT cannot comply with the conditions of the Dual Contracts.

Edited by realizm

The only B division cars that currently do work service is the R32s, the single R62As will go somewhere, they'll probably put em on the (1) or (3) lines

Btw 2115 has a full width cab

Damit, you beat me to it! And 2125 looks like it has a full width cab as well.

Oh yeah, 2 R160 (E) Trains terminated at 125 Street earlier today because of an investigation at 5th Avenue-53rd Street. Others were rerouted via the (F) after West 4 Street.

I don't understand why they wait to do it now instead of last year when they were SMSing these cars and linking them up

They don't need full cabs at the moment. It would just take up unneeded space on (7) trains. Since they always put the former single sets on the North end, there's no conductor issues and the full cab isn't needed (yet). Except...

When one of those sets needs to be placed on the south end. Lately the (7) has been short a few 17xx sets due to them going to the (6) , so they need to place one of those sets on the South end. I can see why they made 2115 and 2125 a full cab. This is so they can put them on the South end without any C/R issues with them crossing inbetween cars, board alignment, etc. Note that 2120 (The other end car of the set with 2115 in it) still has a half cab, which explains why it got converted so soon.

I'm suprised they actually decided to convert them. I thought there would be some issues. One would be the side window not opening since it's locked. (I see they also don't bother cleaning behind where the two seats were, the wall is all stained <_< ).

It's not like they needed to. They ran 11 singles or 6 singles (and a 5 car set) for years. Then again I guess they may as well start making them full width if they are being linked sets.

Rememeber Westchesters main request is all R62As to be converted to full width cab , so it shouldn't be too much of a shocker to see more R62As being converted to full width cab.

You really won't see it unless a set has a reason to go to Coney Island. While the cars still run on the 7 line flexibility is needed for some of the 5 car sets to have a passable end when connected to the single and even if these particular sets are sent to Coney Island only one side will receive a transverse cab while the other side will not.

Anything built during the Dual Contracts can fit B Division trains with slight modification. That includes the WPR above Tremont Avenue.

That "slight modification" entails narrowing all of the platforms and removing a bunch of signals!

Rememeber Westchesters main request is all R62As to be converted to full width cab , so it shouldn't be too much of a shocker to see more R62As being converted to full width cab.

Westchester is the name of a storage facility. There's no reason for a storage facility to care about cab arrangement.

Pelham is the name of the maintenance shop. I suppose that a maintenance shop might care about cab arrangement, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Neither storage facilities nor maintenance shops are independent entities that make independent decisions. They all belong to the New York City Transit Department of Subways, which makes decisions on a centralized basis.

And the reason for this centralized decision is simple: so that all R62A five car sets assigned to the 6 are interchangeable and nondirectional. That is, take any two five car sets, facing either direction, and link them together, and the result is a 10 car train with a transverse cab for the T/O and (most important) for the C/R.

On Dual Contracts sections, all you would have to do is shave back the platforms where there are curves. The cars could still be the current 9 feet wide. Signals would not have to be moved since the tunnels in those sections were built to BMT specifications (For cars 67 feet long). The only places where this is not possible are the sections built during Contracts 1 and 2. Had it not been for the clearance problems on those portions only, we would probably be using 65 foot long IRT cars.

I'm only saying this length specifically because the R62 keeps popping up in my research where they could have been of the 65 foot length.

Edited by LTA1992

On Dual Contracts sections, all you would have to do is shave back the platforms where there are curves. The cars could still be the current 9 feet wide. Signals would not have to be moved since the tunnels in those sections were built to BMT specifications (For cars 67 feet long). The only places where this is not possible are the sections built during Contracts 1 and 2. Had it not been for the clearance problems on those portions only, we would probably be using 65 foot long IRT cars.

I'm only saying this length specifically because the R62 keeps popping up in my research where they could have been of the 65 foot length.

What? No.....

B division cars are almost 10 feet wide. Officially 9.77

A division cars are officially 8.60. Shave back platforms only where there are curves? What is the goal of the discussion because there are a lot of missing facts. There are a great number of systems that would have to be moved on any a division specified line. For instance Steinway tube will never be able to accommodate a B division train. The tube is being modified now and still doesn't have much of a bench wall. They would literally have to abandon many systems just to try to squeeze a B division spec train like signals and that's just a start.

Every single platform, curved or straight, would have to be shaved back in order to accommodate B Division equipment, and any signal or other component which is not placed outside the clearance envelope of a B Division car would have to be relocated.

Aside from the 7, which has its own areas of tight clearance, every IRT subway line uses some Contract 1 trackage.

Another 5 car set of R62A's are at Westchester yard. The current two sets were in service and another 10-car set was sitting at Westchester yard this morning.

The Newest five car set at westechester is 1721-1724 , 1725 was added to it as well ,i rode them this afternoon they were coupled with 1741-1745

Edited by R62AR33

The Newest five car set at westechester is 1721-1724 , 1725 was added to it as well ,i rode them this afternoon they were coupled with 1741-1745

1721-1725 have been there for weeks. They came with 1731-1735. I need to check if the third set is out next time since the latest one was all the way in the back of the Westchester yard.

1721-1725 have been there for weeks. They came with 1731-1735. I need to check if the third set is out next time since the latest one was all the way in the back of the Westchester yard.

1725-1730 came a few months ago 1721-1725 is the newest set cause i never seen them before until today and im always on the R62As on the (6)

1725-1730 came a few months ago 1721-1725 is the newest set cause i never seen them before until today and im always on the R62As on the (6)

Nope. 1726-1730 are still at Corona yard. The (6) currently has 1721-1725, 1731-1735, 1741-1750, and 2191-2195. There is another one that just came in which is coupled with the current spare at Westchester yard.

Nope. 1726-1730 are still at Corona yard. The (6) currently has 1721-1725, 1731-1735, 1741-1750, and 2191-2195. There is another one that just came in which is coupled with the current spare at Westchester yard.

Thank you for the correction , ill go to westchester and try and catch the car numbers.

Edited by R62AR33