R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

The R188 is doing simulated stops along the (7) line, which means that it should start it 30 day test in the next couple weeks.

Been doing them for a few weeks now.

Did the times change though? When I managed to get pics on it  it was for training for those in RTO between 10:30 and 12:30PM. Then it changed to nights (R188 was spotted @ 8PM approximately) according to a member and confirmed by a T/O. If so I'm going to absolutely add more R188 footage to my portfolio.

*Times were on weekdays.

Edited by realizm

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R188 is doing simulated stops along the (7) line, which means that it should start it 30 day test in the next couple weeks.

No....It's not a 30 day test. It's not a new train. It's a converted train. No 30 day test is needed. It has and will continue to be used to train crews. It's no where near being ready for customer service as a lot of finishes has to be added.

No....It's not a 30 day test. It's not a new train. It's a converted train. No 30 day test is needed. It has and will continue to be used to train crews. It's no where near being ready for customer service as a lot of finishes has to be added.

I wish people would learn from my little "dispute" with RTOman to stop posting misinformation it's getting annoying now... But thanks for the info RTOPRO.

Day off today so I was hitting up the Bronx for pics on the IRT WPR line , IND GC etc. I spotted a R188 consist @ the E 180th-Bronx Park yard. Couldn't get the damn pic, too much rolling stock in the way, was on the (2) couldn't focus in on time.

Really converted R142's, roster numbers did'nt match but it had the new car smell to it, seats in blue wrapping, Kawasaki tags on the picture windows and such.

Still in the boggie down gonna get more pics as I chill in this bar as I type this waiting for my camera battery pack to recharge.....

Edited by realizm

I wish people would learn from my little "dispute" with RTOman to stop posting misinformation it's getting annoying now... But thanks for the info RTOPRO.

Remember the R142As did their 30 day testing back in 2001 when being accepted , so they are already nyc subway cars and are qualified to run on the (MTA) transit system , the only difference is as R188s they have to train the crews from flushing to know how to use them , that is why it takes awhile so that they can enter passenger service. After conversions the only testing that is done is to see if the CBTC works properly on the trains once , they are given the ok then they can get transfered to flushing where they will then see passenger service.

Edited by R62AR33

Day off today so I was hitting up the Bronx for pics on the IRT WPR line , IND GC etc. I spotted a R188 consist @ the E 180th-Bronx Park yard. Couldn't get the damn pic, too much rolling stock in the way, was on the (2) couldn't focus in on time.

Really converted R142's, roster numbers did'nt match but it had the new car smell to it, seats in blue wrapping, Kawasaki tags on the picture windows and such.

Still in the boggie down gonna get more pics as I chill in this bar as I type this waiting for my camera battery pack to recharge.....

Man I wish you would've invited me I can sure use a drink right now... <_<

Another 5 car set of R62A's are at Westchester yard. The current two sets were in service and another 10-car set was sitting at Westchester yard this morning.

The Newest sets are indeed 1751-1755 , they will likely get coupled with Broadway sets 2191-2195 until Flushing is able to transfer another 5 set cars of R62As to the (6) so that the broadway singles can go back to the (1)

Edited by R62AR33

Are all the new r188 trains still at Unionport and East 180? And does anyone know where 7221-7235 are I heard they got converted a while back.

7221-7230 were the ones that recently got converted , 7231-7235 are still on the (6) but are next to get converted with cbtc , i spotted 7221-7230 at 207st yard yesterday , im not sure why its there. 

Edited by R62AR33

Incorrect. 7231-7235 have been broken up and shipped off to Kawasaki.

NYCT is responsible for the necessary truck overhaul work either before or after the conversion process. 207th is an overhaul shop.

Edited by RTOPRO

FYI I did see from my living room window an empty R188 consist heading Flushing bound from Queensboro Plaza one weekday last week just after 11:45 AM. I could not see the #'s to determine if it was a converted R142A plus R188 or all new R188 consist.  

They're simulated-stop testing at this time.

So much for service starting in March :P

The Newest sets are indeed 1751-1755 , they will likely get coupled with Broadway sets 2191-2195 until Flushing is able to transfer another 5 set cars of R62As to the (6) so that the broadway singles can go back to the (1)

Nope. 1751-1755 are still in service on the (7) line. I ran into them about 2 hours ago.

I'm not against the move , whatever the MTA gotta do at the end of the day . But I'm going to miss R142As on the (6) even though I never take that shit lmao :)

Haha I like the 62As on the (6), gonna take a little getting used to but it's gonna be nice to see some variety on Lex. The 142A/188s are gonna look much better on the (7) anyway.